• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
So how come Kerevi was only offered a one year contract when Tupou was offered two, with RA worried about both coming back from major injuries?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It almost feels weird discussing winning. It's just not something that goes with the Rebels. But yes, Tupou is a fantastic start. Would be amazing if we can string together some good performances this year, improve players and have a genuine foundation ready for him come his arrival.

On that, what is everyone's pass mark for the season?

Assuming we're still doing the stupid 8 teams finals in a 12 team comp. Then making finals is a pass mark for me. And I genuinely think that's ambitious aha. Last year we came 10th with 4 wins, I wanna come 8th or better with 6 wins. Would be amazing if two of those came from kiwi teams.

I know it's been a lot of fun of fans sticking it to the Rebels about it being a player development grave yard but this year we have no excuse. Ignoring Foote, he has Sampson & Stiles as assistants who should have ample time and opportunity to develop them. To round out my desires for the year I want Hosea, Kemeny & hopefully Gordon to be in Wallabies conversations by the end of the year.
Like every year they have been in the comp my pass mark is to win more games than we lose.

I get the team’s inexperienced but they have to find a way.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I’m not sure how I feel about this. After bad experiences with JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale i always get nervous about big signings to the club. I seem to think the fans get around players more who start at the Rebels, like Hodge, who hang around longer and aren’t just there for the short-term and the $$$.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
if the contract with them has sufficient safeguards for the Rebels then there is potentially a lot of upside and personally i hope he comes and dominates, but there is as much potential for a significant clusterfuck, losing either/or both Eloff and Fa'aumasili without any gain.

Are both Eloff and Pone fit for the 2023 Rebels campaign?

Because Taniela likely won't take the field until the RWC, if at all this year.

Means Eloff and Pone have a full season (and possible international caps for Pone) to up their market value before Taniela even arrives in Melbourne.

It's a bit of a catch-22 for the Rebels. If those players have great years and the Rebels are largely successful, they'll be viewed as important to keep but they'll always know their next contract negotiations should reflect that. The money might not be there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Are both Eloff and Pone fit for the 2023 Rebels campaign?

Because Taniela likely won't take the field until the RWC, if at all this year.

Means Eloff and Pone have a full season (and possible international caps for Pone) to up their market value before Taniela even arrives in Melbourne.

It's a bit of a catch-22 for the Rebels. If those players have great years and the Rebels are largely successful, they'll be viewed as important to keep but they'll always know their next contract negotiations should reflect that. The money might not be there.

Eloff & Talaki will play this week, we have an Rebels A game v Eastwood this weekend as well & Pone is being used to promote it so its might be 1st 1st game since coming back from that really bad hamstring he did v Japan last yr.

Eloff can play both sides so may get used in that roll. He is also not eligible to play for Australia till next yr

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
So how come Kerevi was only offered a one year contract when Tupou was offered two, with Rugby Australia worried about both coming back from major injuries?
Think they had to double down on Tupou BECAUSE they missed on Kerevi.

Still a mistake to lose Kerevi, but good to get tupou on 2 years at a slight discount because Japan has STRICT medical processes.

Pone to Reds, Orr to Brumbies, Eloff to LHP and Gibbon with Talakai as the bench.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Still a mistake to lose Kerevi, but good to get tupou on 2 years at a slight discount because Japan has STRICT medical processes.

Pone to Reds, Orr to Brumbies, Eloff to LHP and Gibbon with Talakai as the bench.

You can always dream, Its even more likely Pone will want to stay now Nela is coming.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
You can always dream, Its even more likely Pone will want to stay now Nela is coming.
Keep the rumour mill spinning, I think Philip will return to Sydney in a year or two, they're dying for a proper lock. To replace him, the Rebels will get Salakai-Loto on an absolute bargain, 'cause he's so miserable after 2 years of England and he's desperate to complete the trio of lads with Mafi & Tupou.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Gee get one prop and lose two, can see Orr leaving but I think Pone will stay. Very tight with the Melbourne boys. Not sure exactly what the drama was but there was something between him and Hunter IIRC. Also think with his body issues and Tupou’s issues neither player will see it as a bad thing playing together

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Keep the rumour mill spinning, I think Philip will return to Sydney in a year or two, they're dying for a proper lock. To replace him, the Rebels will get Salakai-Loto on an absolute bargain, 'cause he's so miserable after 2 years of England and he's desperate to complete the trio of lads with Mafi & Tupou.
Not sure about Salakia-Loto, but the Rebels are definitely going to have a hell of a time holding onto everyone - You can make a 15 close to the Rebels best with guys off contract at the end of the year:

1. Orr
2. Uelese
3. Fa'amausili
4. Hosea
5. Phillip
6. Kemeny
7. Hardwick
8. Leota
9. Sorovi
10. Mason Gordon
11. Monty Ioane
12. Ripley
13. Ili
14. Anderson
15. Hodge

I'm sure the rebels will hold onto a good chunk of them, but all except for maybe Uelese (and Hodge departing) should be expecting an improvement in their contract value. Hard to see where all that money comes from now that Tupou has been signed. At this stage it looks like Tupou might be the only player they have signed beyond 2024 too, I can't find any evidence of any other signing going through to 2025.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be fair you can make a team like that of players coming off contract for most of the Australian sides, the big difference here is the amount of their budget/cap the Rebels have just spent, versus the freedom to move a team like the reds now have. One of the big dangers in making a signing like this so early in the season is it leaves you much more exposed on all your unsigned talent.

MelbourneRebels

Herbert Moran (7)
Laying out the wardrobe for the trip west.

MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure about Salakia-Loto, but the Rebels are definitely going to have a hell of a time holding onto everyone - You can make a 15 close to the Rebels best with guys off contract at the end of the year:

1. Orr
2. Uelese
3. Fa'amausili
4. Hosea
5. Phillip
6. Kemeny
7. Hardwick
8. Leota
9. Sorovi
10. Mason Gordon
11. Monty Ioane
12. Ripley
13. Ili
14. Anderson
15. Hodge

I'm sure the rebels will hold onto a good chunk of them, but all except for maybe Uelese (and Hodge departing) should be expecting an improvement in their contract value. Hard to see where all that money comes from now that Tupou has been signed. At this stage it looks like Tupou might be the only player they have signed beyond 2024 too, I can't find any evidence of any other signing going through to 2025.
Dunno why Uelese would consider an increase. Last time he signed he was a regular in the Wallaby team/squad. Now he can barely crack the Wests starting side.

The ones I really care about staying would be Pone, Hosea, Leota, Philip, Monty & Ripley. Doubt Monty, Leota would go for various reasons. Hopefully we can keep the others but prepared to lose a couple.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Dunno why Uelese would consider an increase. Last time he signed he was a regular in the Wallaby team/squad. Now he can barely crack the Wests starting side.

The ones I really care about staying would be Pone, Hosea, Leota, Philip, Monty & Ripley. Doubt Monty, Leota would go for various reasons. Hopefully we can keep the others but prepared to lose a couple.

We have lost Hodge so we have got on the front foot & spent that money plus some obvs. Would be interesting to know how much is RA & how much is us. He would be one of RA's most marketable that would count for something.