• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2022

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Does anyone know how long Foote has been signed for? Just this year? Hopefully he was only a stop gap whilst they tried to find a bigger get.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Does anyone know how long Foote has been signed for? Just this year? Hopefully he was only a stop gap whilst they tried to find a bigger get.
I haven't seen the length mentioned anywhere. Ryan Martin signed on as an assistant for 2 years at the same time, so it's probably at least that long, I doubt it would be any longer though.
Attack coach Ryan Martin will serve as Foote's deputy for the next two years, joining the Rebels from the Free Jacks in North America's Major League Rugby (MLR).

I doubt he would be on a huge salary as a first time head coach so paying him out wouldn't be too expensive, but coaching availability/movement is probably at it's highest at the around the world cup, so they may decide to wait or if things get really bad just run Stiles as an interim to give them time to secure an ideal candidate.

Mick The Munch

Cyril Towers (30)
If I was a top calibre rugby coach, The Rebels would be an exciting challenge - a few wallabies in the roster, good youngsters coming through. , easy quick improvements with skills uplift....HUGE upside if we start winning - would look amazing on the CV..

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I was a top calibre rugby coach, The Rebels would be an exciting challenge - a few wallabies in the roster, good youngsters coming through. , easy quick improvements with skills uplift....HUGE upside if we start winning - would look amazing on the CV..
Good positive spin, I think Coleman would have been the perfect fit for Melbourne. To think the Rebels flogged the Tahs in December and where the two teams are now is mind boggling.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good positive spin, I think Coleman would have been the perfect fit for Melbourne. To think the Rebels flogged the Tahs in December and where the two teams are now is mind boggling.

Different team structures and situations though.

Despite being crap last year, the Tahs had so many good young players and some real game breakers. They always looked like a team ready to make a splash, similar to the makeup of the 2019 Reds.

Coleman has rallied them but he also has pretty much the same squad as 2021, albeit older.

The Rebels lost some key Wallabies in the off-season and clearly have fitness issues. I don’t think the Rebels would be 3-0 with Coleman coaching.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
With the current injury list I think we would be 0-3 like we are at the moment.

Don't get me wrong I think Foote is the wrong choice for coach as he was part of the previous failed coaching team.

However, even the greatest coach in the world can do nothing without the cattle.

Mick The Munch

Cyril Towers (30)
With the current injury list I think we would be 0-3 like we are at the moment.

Don't get me wrong I think Foote is the wrong choice for coach as he was part of the previous failed coaching team.

However, even the greatest coach in the world can do nothing without the cattle.
It's a fair point - losing 40% of your squad - including 4+ Wallabies would hurt any coach.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
It's a fair point - losing 40% of your squad - including 4+ Wallabies would hurt any coach.
The thing that really brought the plight home to me was that if we had a full squad available only 5 of the team that started on the weekend likely would have. Add to that starting 3rd or 4th choice players in some positions it is completely unsustainable.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Perhaps a pessimistic view but is this the season to start giving more match minutes to the younger talent coming through ? General consensus seems to be that Carter Gordon should be the starting 10 with To'omua outside of him. With the 13 jersey not nailed down, giving Ripley more time there could really push his development- personally don't want a repeat of Tupou or Tuipolotu moving abroad after not getting enough match time. Vudogo looked impressive after coming on against Drua and would like to see him given a start on the wing. If Hodge is not playing full back again I would want to see Mason Gordon given an opportunity but ideally he would get more exposure off bench to begin with. Canham looked good but still behind Phillip and Hosea but again hopefully gets decent minutes from the bench when Hosea returns.

For me if your team is losing you want to cling on to the green shoots and have optimism that the future will be brighter. There is talent coming through at the Rebels and priority for me is that they are kept together and given an opportunity to perform.
The reality is Foote has to take a short term view - not a long term view as he does not win a few games this season - there is no long term and likely not a 2023 gig for him.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The reality is Foote has to take a short term view - not a long term view as he does not win a few games this season - there is no long term and likely not a 2023 gig for him.
The year was never about win loss it was about progress as stupid as that sounds

Look at the Force they are 1-2 only beating us but you can see the improvement. Yet for us there are more questions then answers

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just got an e mail from the membership department, a lot of digital membership cards have been reissued.

Hopefully the disaster of 2 weeks ago doesn't happen Friday night

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
I saw a lift in attitude with about 15 min left. Not sure what triggered it, but you could see as they ran up to a line out instead of the usual slow jog that something extra was there. We scored that nice try just after.

I really hope I see that again next.

Reactions: TSR

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big chance of not winning a game after blowing that, the Drua at home and the Force away are about the only games I would give us a chance in

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Big chance of not winning a game after blowing that, the Drua at home and the Force away are about the only games I would give us a chance in
Rebels played their best game last night of season so far so for me some sparks of positivity . I think they would win games against MP (Moana Pasifika) and could win another odd game as an upset if they keep improving like they did last night