• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
To me what sums up being a Rebels fan the most is. If I ever wear training gear to the gym. You get people in there who are just general sports fans ask “if you like rugby why don’t you want to go for the storm? Who wants to see a bunch of losers get flogged every week?”

I know we will never be a Collingwood or a Richmond

But the Storm abs Victory aren’t and they have a good following here as they win.

Melbourne sports fans can be pretentious wankers. Claim they are loyal and die hards unlike Sydney and Brisbane but that’s a load of shit

Never seen a club with a bigger bandwagon support than the storm. So many blokes in Melbourne only start watching them when they concede the year is done for their AFL side. Come finals all of Melbourne will tell you they are die hard sports fans

The point isn’t to knock the storm as they are a great club but it is to point out there are a lot of fair weather fans in Melbourne that just like backing a winner

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed but at least showed the raw building blocks are there. Again another miss not having nrc as perfect for players like canham and Ripley to develop. RA please bring back the nrc asap….please
My understanding is that there is 6 team NRC comp this year. 5 franchises ex Wallabies + 1 (which I assume is the Drua)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My understanding is that there is 6 team NRC comp this year. 5 franchises ex Wallabies + 1 (which I assume is the Drua)

Where have you come to this understanding if I may ask? I'm happy for it to happen of course. An essentially professional series. Would like for RA to provide both the Sydney and Brisbane clubs to run their own team in this as well as a means of providing more access and opportunity.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
To me what sums up being a Rebels fan the most is. If I ever wear training gear to the gym. You get people in there who are just general sports fans ask “if you like rugby why don’t you want to go for the storm? Who wants to see a bunch of losers get flogged every week?”

I know we will never be a Collingwood or a Richmond

But the Storm abs Victory aren’t and they have a good following here as they win.

Melbourne sports fans can be pretentious wankers. Claim they are loyal and die hards unlike Sydney and Brisbane but that’s a load of shit

Never seen a club with a bigger bandwagon support than the storm. So many blokes in Melbourne only start watching them when they concede the year is done for their AFL side. Come finals all of Melbourne will tell you they are die hard sports fans

The point isn’t to knock the storm as they are a great club but it is to point out there are a lot of fair weather fans in Melbourne that just like backing a winner
That may we'll be true but there are also a huge number of loyal die hards at all sports in Melbourne. I have been a Rebels member since day one with a couple of other friends. We all are also AFL fans and St Kilda members and have been for over 30 years. I don't follow the Storm because I cannot bring myself to watch League, everytime I see a league scrum it brings a small amount of bile up to my throat. What I am trying to say is that there are fair weather fans in all sports but there are also those of us who find a team a stick with them regardless of success. You are better off supporting the underdogs anyway as the highs when the come are so much higher and you get numbed to the lows.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I honestly think the Rebels will turn it around, it's tough when your team doesn't win but it is only round 3.

I think they need to stick with Carter Gordon at 10 and Tomua at 12, it is easy to coach from the couch but honestly, that combo will pay dividends.

Rebers to beta the Brumbies next week

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Look between local footy/rugby the AFL/ super rugby it gets hard supporting 4 sides

I love the club but we need change this can’t continue. Either some of the lads need to actually stand up and make the change happen or we move them on

It's not the players.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
That may we'll be true but there are also a huge number of loyal die hards at all sports in Melbourne. I have been a Rebels member since day one with a couple of other friends. We all are also AFL fans and St Kilda members and have been for over 30 years. I don't follow the Storm because I cannot bring myself to watch League, everytime I see a league scrum it brings a small amount of bile up to my throat. What I am trying to say is that there are fair weather fans in all sports but there are also those of us who find a team a stick with them regardless of success. You are better off supporting the underdogs anyway as the highs when the come are so much higher and you get numbed to the lows.
I know brother. Do you think I would be here posting about the Rebels if I didn’t understand loyal fans existed?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If what you say is true - it could make sense ie leverage existing structures/ teams to build the brand but also limit the investment ie not creating new teams.

Also would give us our super rugby Au albeit nrc style with 6 teams excluding wallabies. So assume rest plus best club players added for depth.

it would be great if this was true but as heard nothing in any press on this I won’t get my hopes up.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is them, in sport you are a winner or a loser. A lot of Rebels players have been losers

RM I have empathy - like others having been through the whole saga with the Reds. Rebels under-performance has been pretty static for ages including with the condensed talent from two squads and a concerted push from RA to assist competitiveness.

That's not the players.

I really liked Wessels but clearly if was ever going to be good enough he needed better support - or he just wasn't good enough in spite my liking him. It's not improved. So I'd be looking to the coaching because it isn't the players.

The HC needs to be the right bloke with the right experience. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive experienced international who is proven and will need to be paid a premium for taking on the mess. It means strategic thinking, good understanding as to what the club needs, where it is going. And excellence in selection.

That's not the players.

If the HC has the right kind of experience the support staff will likely follow, if you are developing that next level needs to be built with just as much thought as the HC. Down to fitness staff, recruitment, squad development etc.

That's not the players.

I don't know anything about Foote. He needs moving on quickly if he does not have the ability to build into HC. If he does, in spite perfances and pain then stick with him. These decisions are fundamental.

The players always are the guys on the park and the cutting edge of the process. So of course ultimately, it is the players. But without foundations, player based expectations will evaporate.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Only just watched the shortened highlights, at least To'omua can kick ey? Good sideline conversions.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think if you are rebels fan and not seen the game watching the shortened highlights is much better option,
yes i can no longer watch an entire game live or on tv, i start then get frustrated at the same issues week after week after week, season after season. they eventually get some things right for a game or two eg scrum or lineout and then the little that was working well for them falls apart as they concentrate on improving another aspect of their play and its groundhog day. i watch them train on an irregular basis and id have to say this year, the game day results certainly reflect whats going on at training, especially the incoordinate backline. i wonder if they can convince Joe Shcmidt to stop sitting up the back of the Blues coaching box and pop over the ditch? Foote seems a nice enough bloke but i wonder if he has already lost the dressing room.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yes i can no longer watch an entire game live or on tv, i start then get frustrated at the same issues week after week after week, season after season. they eventually get some things right for a game or two eg scrum or lineout and then the little that was working well for them falls apart as they concentrate on improving another aspect of their play and its groundhog day. i watch them train on an irregular basis and id have to say this year, the game day results certainly reflect whats going on at training, especially the incoordinate backline. i wonder if they can convince Joe Shcmidt to stop sitting up the back of the Blues coaching box and pop over the ditch? Foote seems a nice enough bloke but i wonder if he has already lost the dressing room.
Joe Schmidt would be kind of quality rebels should aim for. Not sure unfortunately for Schmidt it would be a lure. Given coaching an Achilles heal I would like to see rebels prepared to throw good money at high quality coach. Maybe in reality not many options to allow this to happen.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Perhaps a pessimistic view but is this the season to start giving more match minutes to the younger talent coming through ? General consensus seems to be that Carter Gordon should be the starting 10 with To'omua outside of him. With the 13 jersey not nailed down, giving Ripley more time there could really push his development- personally don't want a repeat of Tupou or Tuipolotu moving abroad after not getting enough match time. Vudogo looked impressive after coming on against Drua and would like to see him given a start on the wing. If Hodge is not playing full back again I would want to see Mason Gordon given an opportunity but ideally he would get more exposure off bench to begin with. Canham looked good but still behind Phillip and Hosea but again hopefully gets decent minutes from the bench when Hosea returns.

For me if your team is losing you want to cling on to the green shoots and have optimism that the future will be brighter. There is talent coming through at the Rebels and priority for me is that they are kept together and given an opportunity to perform.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Surely some players are back this weekend. It’s week four, I thought some were meant back to back after one week, ffs.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Mason Gordon is not Super Rugby ready.
Why does everyone what the push through the young developing players too soon. Give them a couple of years training with the squad and gaining confidence. Mason is only 18 or 19 and bringing him into a poorly structured team will be damaging. I have no idea where Mason is at but QPR last year he wasn’t exactly lighting it on fire.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why does everyone what the push through the young developing players too soon. Give them a couple of years training with the squad and gaining confidence. Mason is only 18 or 19 and bringing him into a poorly structured team will be damaging. I have no idea where Mason is at but QPR last year he wasn’t exactly lighting it on fire.
Because in these forums it is a flex to know the young kid coming through.