• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
GMR, it's been a bloody tragic story so far down Melbourne way, so a bit of comedy doesn't hurt at all. And labeling the Rebels now as the Melbourne Force has quite a pointed edge to it.
I get it, I really do, it’s just how I keep seeing people come up with it like it’s the first time. Like when you are walking an enthusiastic dog and a stranger says “who’s walking who?”. Hilarious!

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah - the axing of the Force was supposed to be in response to the poor quality of all Aus Super Rugby teams this year. So, why is all the talent now going in one direction only in the main, and how will that assist the three other sides gain parity with the NZ sides? Just highlights the bullshit behind the whole process.
The Rebels had the most openings, in anticipation, most likely. Because of the delayed decision, the other teams mostly filled their rosters.

Reactions: daz

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Well actually I have been very supportive of the players - it's the administration I have questioned

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah - the axing of the Force was supposed to be in response to the poor quality of all Aus Super Rugby teams this year. So, why is all the talent now going in one direction only in the main, and how will that assist the three other sides gain parity with the NZ sides? Just highlights the bullshit behind the whole process.
Taking into account the Brumbies have a fantastic stock of locks and backrowers, a full complement of scrum halves and DHP clearly wants to play with his brother, what players have we recruited and/or are rumoured to have recruited that would suit.

Of the remainder of the rumoured players (Coleman, Phillip, Lance, Meakes, Hardwick) I'd be happy with just Lance and one of the locks.

TPN, Cowan, Vui, McCalman, Ruru, Rona, Peni, Louwrens are all Super quality players at a minimum straight off the top of my head that are still available. Verity Am and the other Arnold twin too. Probably more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Sometimes it's a quality vs quantity thing too. The Brumbies are getting back Pocock, Lealiifano & Naisarani - three fantastic additions to a strong squad . I know only one of them came from the Force, but I would have though that most Brumby supporters would be feeling pretty good about their squad next year. TPN & a winger would be great additions - but I assume there are no contract spots available.

With regards to the Rebels, I know they were smashed by injury, but they did seem to be the team with the most need and I am happy to see the bulk of players headed in their direction. I am kinda scratching my head though as to why they have signed Talakai and Ainsley plus retained Weeks. Ideally one of those three would be in the Reds or Tahs squads.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
personally i'd be happy with one of either the locks, clearly prefer Coleman, who wouldnt; and Lance. we have sufficient talent already in the backs and backrow for the others to go elsewhere. perhaps everyone is taking a pay cut ? can we all just wait and see who is signed in the end and what the AURU/ ARU/RUAU say about caps

D

daz

GMR, it's been a bloody tragic story so far down Melbourne way, so a bit of comedy doesn't hurt at all. And labeling the Rebels now as the Melbourne Force has quite a pointed edge to it.

Yeah, I get it. But you aren’t knee deep in this and the “pointed edge” is not something we feel like dredging up every 30 seconds; given the circumstances I can assure you there are not many Rebels fans who feel like laughing. We had a terrible season, we had only half a team and no coach going into the NRC period and if the Force hadn’t been cut we were seriously screwed.

We just want a fresh start, a competitive team, a vibrant supporter base and some wins on the board. We’ll start laughing after those things start to happen!

As for the conspiracy theories, most of the Melbourne fans don’t care if there was another shooter on the grassy knoll. We don’t control what the ARU do, and we don’t control what the VRU do. We are just happy to have a team in the comp and we leave the politics to others. We pay our memberships, turn up and support the team, and drink beers. That’s our only job.

Anyway, it’s done and dusted now. History is dead and the future is exciting and unknown, which is how it should be.

D

daz

bye bye Jordy Reid ? which would be an absolute f.ing shame.

Yes, because he is a charisma machine who is devastating when he is on song.

No, because he just won’t fucking take the next step up, no matter how hard we wish otherwise.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, because he is a charisma machine who is devastating when he is on song.

No, because he just won’t fucking take the next step up, no matter how hard we wish otherwise.

Daz, i will concede you are correct, on both points. perhaps under a new coach he might. i really don't think TT helped anyone progress to a new (higher) level, quite the opposite in fact.

D

daz

Daz, i will concede you are correct, on both points. perhaps under a new coach he might. i really don't think TT helped anyone progress to a new (higher) level, quite the opposite in fact.

And I concede you are very likely 100% correct on both your points!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So that's 17 players leaving for various reasons (I'm excluding Schatz as he was only signed as injury cover for Sean). Thought it would be interesting to compare that to some of the other teams:

Brumbies -13
Reds -7
'Tahs -6
Blooze -12
Crusaders -10
Chiefs - 15
Clan -13
Canes -15

I didn't check the Saffas.

Obviously, some of those numbers will go up a bit before the end of the year. It surprised me a bit to see how much turnover there is in the Kiwi teams. I'm not sure if that's typical or if this is a high churn year for some reason.

Brumbies is actually 12. Of those 2x were supplementary, 2x were long term injured (unavailable) and didn't play a game, 1x was an international and had hit his 2yrs limit, 1x was to cover Pococks sabbatical.

Of the 6 remaining leavers. 1 was for family reasons and 1x was to the Tahs for a better opportunity at getting to start. The Brumbies publicly stated they wanted to keep 7 of the 12 and it was Rugby Australia that blocked the retention of at least 4 (all expressed a desire to stay) due contacting requirements. Most of the places have been filled by new talent.

The Rebels count is actually 21 atm. 17 + 4 un-contracted.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Strong team, great membership initiatives and engagement. Really looking forward to 2018.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

am I allowed to agree to this comment?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sometimes it's a quality vs quantity thing too. The Brumbies are getting back Pocock, Lealiifano & Naisarani - three fantastic additions to a strong squad . I know only one of them came from the Force, but I would have though that most Brumby supporters would be feeling pretty good about their squad next year. TPN & a winger would be great additions - but I assume there are no contract spots available.

With regards to the Rebels, I know they were smashed by injury, but they did seem to be the team with the most need and I am happy to see the bulk of players headed in their direction. I am kinda scratching my head though as to why they have signed Talakai and Ainsley plus retained Weeks. Ideally one of those three would be in the Reds or Tahs squads.

TSR and others. It's not just a matter of wanting the Brumbies to get their hands on some of the ex-Force players, but what is best for the four remaining Super Rugby teams. There really should have been a more equal sharing of talent across the four teams imo, and while the Brumbies will be well served by Pocock and Lealiifano coming back in next year and with Naisarani who looks to be a test player in waiting, I'm sure both the Reds and the Tahs would be improved with a few more of the excess players next year. It should not be all about the Rebels. With the way they've had squillions spent on them in past years and the appearance at least of getting favourable treatment again with the ex-Force players, a person could be forgiven for thinking that from the ARU's perspective it is all about the Rebels. For the Brumbies, though, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if one or two of Meakes, Rona or Peni were to come here.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is hilarious; The Melbourne Force. I get it, because a lot of Force players and staff have / will sign with the Rebels, so it’s like they are the Force. Very witty, Wilde, very, very witty. Oh my, get me a surgeon, for my sides have split.

What a laugh, within 1-2 years the majority of the Force transplants will have spent as much time at the Rebels as at the force. Some withstanding, obviously the HPs.

B

BLR

What a laugh, within 1-2 years the majority of the Force transplants will have spent as much time at the Rebels as at the force. Some withstanding, obviously the HPs.

Perhaps, but it is still a team they were forced to go to. Also, who is to say the money will last that long? Still no clear indication how to turn that black hole around.

Status
Not open for further replies.