• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Players that have left are:

Cruze
Lomax
Metcher
Toby
Pat
Douglas
Day
Retallick
Fox
McMahon
Schatz
Bip
Snowden
Debreczeni
Volavola
Garden-Bachop
Inman
Placid

With Moloney, Fou, Jordy and Dom seemingly still around but uncontracted.

I would have liked to retain Lomax, Inman, McMahon and Toby, but those are beyond control. Of the rest who've definitely left, only Metcher & Cruze are unlucky for mine, but even then, Metcher always got injured at the wrong time, and was very very quickly overtaken by Lomax, while Cruze did get overtaken by Fereti by this season, and with Moloney also being 4 years younger than him, it would have required us to source no new looseheads.

Maybe Fox is unlucky, but he just never looked fit enough for mine. Placid enough has been said. Bip likely needed a starters spot to want to stay in Aus, and we just couldn't give him that. Murray Douglas too I guess? 5th string locks are 6 of one, half dozen. Much as I like him, taking a punt on a youngster like Phillip can seriously pay off, and maybe Meafou could surprise all and do a Skelton?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Actually, I think Mick Snowden was most impacted. But he lost his job for Genia, not an ex-Force guy.

Yeah, I thought about Snowden but really, he has only played 5 games for the Rebels (I know he was injured) and he is 29 so it was only a matter of time before some young kid with more potential replaced him. Noting of course that he played 5 more games of rugby for the Rebels than I will ever do, is infinitely better at playing rugby than me and that losing your job always sucks. Stirzacker has gone from starting spot and captain to bench and probably not captain. Really feel for him as he looked like he had so much potential when he started and maybe with a different coach could have realised that potential

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Rebels will be confirming a lot more signings in weeks to come headlined by a couple current Wallabies.

In regards to a Rebels captain IMO I think it will go to Will Genia (Wallabies vc + international veteran + game manager) ticks all the boxes with Hodge and probably Coleman (when he gets officially announced) as vice-captains.

1. Daley / Faulkner
2. Hansen / Uelese / Siliva
3. Ainsley / Talakai / Weeks
4. Parling / Jeffries
5. Cummins / Coleman (tba)
6. Timani / RHP
7. Fainga'a / Hardwick (tba)
8. Mafi / Leota
9. Genia
10. Lance (tba)
11. Koroibete
12. Meakes (tba)
13. Naivalu
14. Hodge
15. DHP

21. Stirzacker / Goddard
22. Horwitz / Tuipolotu / McGreggor
23. English / Maddocks / Shipperly

The advantage the Rebels have over any other Australia team already especially in the forwards is that the squad can be rotated and bodies can be looked after especially as the competition continues.

If they play it right it will be a huge advantage. Anyone in positions 1-8 can start and do a good job for 50 minutes and be replaced by someone arguable of the same quality or even better

T

TOCC

There isn’t another team with such depth in their squad like that, really makes you wonder how they’ve been able to do it with the salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There isn’t be another team with such depth in their squad like that, really makes you wonder how they’ve been able to do it with the salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugby Au looking to start up their own Melbourne Storm, try and buy themselves success down here and get Melbourne folk into it..........

I'm not a fan of the Force fan trolling, but it's going to be easy to dislike this team.

Reactions: mst
M

Moono75

If that is the potential final team above, how does this work with the salary cap?
Are you implying the ARU might provide some special dispensation to assist the Rebels to be successful? There is no absolutley no precedence for this. The ARU hasn't helped them in the past.

Censorship in 3...2...1....

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Here we are, that's the kinds of bants we need!
You might call the Rebels the real Madrid of rugby.. But last time that got thrown around Brumbies finish - 11th and the Reds won the title..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Rugby Au looking to start up their own Melbourne Storm, try and buy themselves success down here and get Melbourne folk into it....

I'm not a fan of the Force fan trolling, but it's going to be easy to dislike this team.

The dislike could really escalate. If the Melbourne Force are more successful than the established teams the discontent in rugby and especially towards the Rugby Au and the Rebels could get very nasty and reignite all the known issues and a few new ones.

It could drive supporters away. If the Melbourne Force don't perform there will be questions noting the amount of talent gifted and dispensations given. The salary cap questions are really interesting. If they get the dispensation which it look like they are getting (no real salary cap) its utterly ridiculous and will just show its bought success ( I cant see SANZAAR being to thrilled with that).

That being the case. the Melbourne Force will have major issues come 2019 as they will lose most of their players as the cap is imposed and could strip the cupboard bare.

Sadly, regardless of what happens on the field, the main interest with the Melbourne Force will be post season when the financials are known and reported.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds are looking for a fullback. Hope they're talking to Maddocks. He's too good (Wallaby tourist and all that) to be waiting for DHP, Hodge, Sefa, Koro et al to be injured.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I won’t be hating on the Rebels or begrudging any success they might have (if indeed they are successful). If any good is to come out of the demise of the Force it needs to be having four competitive teams who play quality rugby.

I am not sure though why the Reds & Waratahs should not have been able to strengthen their roosters with an extra player or two each as well.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Players that have left are:

Cruze
Lomax
Metcher
Toby
Pat
Douglas
Day
Retallick
Fox
McMahon
Schatz
Bip
Snowden
Debreczeni
Volavola
Garden-Bachop
Inman
Placid

With Moloney, Fou, Jordy and Dom seemingly still around but uncontracted.

*snip*

So that's 17 players leaving for various reasons (I'm excluding Schatz as he was only signed as injury cover for Sean). Thought it would be interesting to compare that to some of the other teams:

Brumbies -13
Reds -7
'Tahs -6
Blooze -12
Crusaders -10
Chiefs - 15
Clan -13
Canes -15

I didn't check the Saffas.

Obviously, some of those numbers will go up a bit before the end of the year. It surprised me a bit to see how much turnover there is in the Kiwi teams. I'm not sure if that's typical or if this is a high churn year for some reason.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't understand non-Force fans hating on the Rebels. There are some grumpy people out there. If Wessels went there the players were always going to follow.

It's not that many people really, pretty much all of the Force fans - most of whom have been trying to throw the Rebels under a bus since this whole thing started anyway, and, for some reason, a handful of disgruntled Brumby enthusiasts. Oh, and Lou75 ;)

Maybe someone could start a new thread - "Death Riding the Rebels Till 2020" or something.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
GMR, it's been a bloody tragic story so far down Melbourne way, so a bit of comedy doesn't hurt at all. And labeling the Rebels now as the Melbourne Force has quite a pointed edge to it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I won’t be hating on the Rebels or begrudging any success they might have (if indeed they are successful). If any good is to come out of the demise of the Force it needs to be having four competitive teams who play quality rugby.

I am not sure though why the Reds & Waratahs should not have been able to strengthen their roosters with an extra player or two each as well.

Yeah - the axing of the Force was supposed to be in response to the poor quality of all Aus Super Rugby teams this year. So, why is all the talent now going in one direction only in the main, and how will that assist the three other sides gain parity with the NZ sides? Just highlights the bullshit behind the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.