• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Working through up to 10 more players: what the hell does that mean?

Lance, Hardwick, Meakes, Coleman & Phillip only takes us to fivemore. Optimistically saying players yet to re-sign maybe includes Uelese and Siliva that's 7. What's left? Are we going to bring in Ruru and run with 4 halfbacks? Are we looking at Rona and Peni to add yet more depth to our outside backs?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I love Colby but is he going to be in the starting team each week?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

These were my thoughts exactly. I'm not sure non-Rebels fans rate him as highly as the Rebels fans do.

As a Tahs man (ignore the Force logo) I'd take Hardwick over him, but that's just me.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I said to a mate a few weeks ago if a 2017 Rebel was captain that it would be Colby. But with recruitment of Genia, Wallabies VC, you would think he would be favoured. At this stage the only two real options (Unless Coleman signs).

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
We're all very excited Lads, but just another thing:

Get yourselves down to Box Hill over the next couple of days.

The Masters (Over 35s for those who don't know) are holding the first Rugbyfest: with teams from Queensland, South Australia and New Zealand joining the Melbourne regulars to an exciting (if slow paced) weekend of rugby, including an International tournament involving the Old Blacks, Wannabees, the Sprung-Bokkes and the Lion-downs on Sunday.

Masters is definitely one of the strengths of Victorian Rugby, and anybody would the time should come along and get excited. The upstairs bar is also showing the Wallabies game against the Brave Blossoms at the conclusion of the day too, so no excuses!!!

Reactions: daz

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Holy hell. I mean, Bloody Christ and fuck a duck. Just look at that playing list.

I may actually be so excited I've got tears in my eyes.

As an outsider, Daz, the tight 5 still looks a bit thin imo. Will definitely be strengthened if Coleman come on board.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

As an outsider, Daz, the tight 5 still looks a bit thin imo. Will definitely be strengthened if Coleman come on board.

No doubt. But the forward steps across all parts of the team is pretty exciting, so I’ll take that for now!

Having said that, the team hasn’t done anything yet, so all we have is expectation.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
That's all we've had for the last few years - great expectations

If you can't be somewhat hyped and upbeat after signing a Wallaby regular 3 months before the season begins after the worst season in our history, when can you be upbeat. VRU, Imperium and Rugby Australia have a fuckload of issues between them, yes. But having quality on field performers with level heads on their shoulders are always a positive thing.

B

BLR

I'm upbeat: and I'm not ashamed of it. I hope their contracts allow them to play for (or at least sign for in Dane's case) the Force in the Twiggyball Comp. But otherwise I don't particularly mind either way, it's out of as much a desire for Victorian development in the NRC as it is desire to see them give back to their home state.

Not to go off topic too much (I feel much better after having a rant) but do you know if they have a get out clause in the contract? Because if the ARU recommend playing the IPRC during the Super Rugby period they could potentially get out of their contract?

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not to go off topic too much (I feel much better after having a rant) but do you know if they have a get out clause in the contract? Because if the ARU recommend playing the IPRC during the Super Rugby period they could potentially get out of their contract?
Given Super Rugby contracts are ARU endorses I would have thought it’s unlikely, especially for someone with an ARU top up. Am looking forward to having two second string Rebels sides next year though - Force and Rising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So more transplants from the donor ex-Force team. 2x Hp's now on 2 year deals. With the limited options elsewhere it appears that the Melbourne Force by default will have decent team next year.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/11/03/rebels-dane-ross-haylett-petty-signings

I feel sorry for the ex-Rebels players and those locals who thought they may get a chance who have been forced out as the Ex-Force players move in as they have no other options in Australia.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That is hilarious; The Melbourne Force. I get it, because a lot of Force players and staff have / will sign with the Rebels, so it’s like they are the Force. Very witty, Wilde, very, very witty. Oh my, get me a surgeon, for my sides have split.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Why would they want to play Twiggy comp over Super Rugby?

So far the Twiggy comp is shaping up to be of a quality below Australian club rugby featuring teams from countries barely ranked inside the World Rugby top 40......

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So more transplants from the donor ex-Force team. 2x Hp's now on 2 year deals. With the limited options elsewhere it appears that the Melbourne Force by default will have decent team next year.

I feel sorry for the ex-Rebels players and those locals who thought they may get a chance who have been forced out as the Ex-Force players move in as they have no other options in Australia.

Snide comments aside, who is it that you are feeling sorry for exactly? The only two players that you could say have possibly been pushed out for ex-Force guys would be Metcher and Ah-Nau. Pretty good chance that one or both of them would have been gone anyway. Moloney, Reid, Shipperley and Fou's places are still in limbo but Moloney has rarely made the 23 and Fou hasn't played at all. As for locals missing out, we already have several locals contracted and several more around the fringes who will make it if they are good enough. Out of interest, how many locals play for the Brumbies? It's about the same as the number of Victorians, isn't it?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Well I think it was going to be an improved team with Genia and Parling anyway. Koroibete has also continued to improve as he has returned to rugby.

In terms of Rebels players missing out due to signings from the Force - I'm not sure who they would be. Maybe Lomax but I think he will be happier in NZ. Smith was going anyway. Maybe Fainga'a would have competition from RHP but last years full strength backrow (which we almost never saw) was clearly Timani, McMahon and Mafi. Maybe DHP is pushing Maddocks to the bench - but that is probably a better place for him at the moment. Stirzaker is the player who has really been impacted by the recruitment drive

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Well I think it was going to be an improved team with Genia and Parling anyway. Koroibete has also continued to improve as he has returned to rugby.

In terms of Rebels players missing out due to signings from the Force - I'm not sure who they would be. Maybe Lomax but I think he will be happier in NZ. Smith was going anyway. Maybe Fainga'a would have competition from RHP but last years full strength backrow (which we almost never saw) was clearly Timani, McMahon and Mafi. Maybe DHP is pushing Maddocks to the bench - but that is probably a better place for him at the moment. Stirzaker is the player who has really been impacted by the recruitment drive

Actually, I think Mick Snowden was most impacted. But he lost his job for Genia, not an ex-Force guy.

B

BLR

Why would they want to play Twiggy comp over Super Rugby?

So far the Twiggy comp is shaping up to be of a quality below Australian club rugby featuring teams from countries barely ranked inside the World Rugby top 40..

Well they talked about a centralised pool of players who would presumably lift the quality to an acceptable standard competition wide instead of the haves (NZ) and Have nots (AUS) system of last season. And judging by the quality of the games for the last few seasons I wouldn't be holding Super Rugby as the beacon of quality up just yet. If you believe that you forget how Super Rugby USED to be. Cutting 2 Saffa teams & 1 Aussie team isn't going to change that. The Rebels may be stronger but what about the other teams who aren't getting Force players? As for choosing the Twiggy comp over Super Rugby? There is a reason why so many Force players stayed over in the West and made lives over here. It is a pretty good place and people want to be involved in something involving somewhere they love to be, especially the Haylett-Petty duo, this is their home, even if they are forced to move over east.

Status
Not open for further replies.