• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Realistically, you lack depth in the centres and the backrow. That's where signings will happen.

I would have thought the backrow was pretty good on depth - Mafi, Timani, RHP, Fainga'a and Leota with Jordy Reid if we need another.

Lock is a problem. Cummins, Jeffries and Toolis are all very much untested.

I would have thought centre is probably ok. Assuming Lance comes on, then Hodge and Sefa will probably play center with Horwitz and Tuipulotu as replacements. Wing would then be English and Koroibete. If Lance doesn't come over then there is a significant gap at 10. I'd assume that then they would consider trying to develop Hodge at 10.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
McMahon contract in Japan does not start till the 18/19 season. That means he should still be available for the 2018 season. Come on Rebels dont let him go, his wife is due in April so surely they will be remaining in oz until late next year.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Oh that raises a question that's not really right for the forum, but I'll charge ahead anyway:
What's the situation with sick/parental leave for professional sportspeople?
Is it different per contract? Are they contractors or employees?
With the emergence of the modern man, will we see players taking paternal leave?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh that raises a question that's not really right for the forum, but I'll charge ahead anyway:
What's the situation with sick/parental leave for professional sportspeople?
Is it different per contract? Are they contractors or employees?
With the emergence of the modern man, will we see players taking paternal leave?

They are employees with the rights of employees with some variations. Annual leave is at specific times of the year. Benn Robinson took long service leave at the Waratahs during his last or second last season! Beyond taking a couple of days off for the birth of a child, I can't see any players taking more time during the season as paternal leave. It is not a legislated requirement and I doubt the teams would be encouraging it (nor the players wanting to take it during the season).

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
They are employees with the rights of employees with some variations. Annual leave is at specific times of the year. Benn Robinson took long service leave at the Waratahs during his last or second last season! Beyond taking a couple of days off for the birth of a child, I can't see any players taking more time during the season as paternal leave. It is not a legislated requirement and I doubt the teams would be encouraging it (nor the players wanting to take it during the season).

Depends on the schedule, Colby skipped the South Africa tour to stay home for the birth of his child. Think clubs are pretty open to helping the players where possible. If it's a trip to Sydney I think the player would just fly straight home after the match where an tour is a bit different.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Depends on the schedule, Colby skipped the South Africa tour to stay home for the birth of his child. Think clubs are pretty open to helping the players where possible. If it's a trip to Sydney I think the player would just fly straight home after the match where an tour is a bit different.

No doubt. I'd guess though that if Fainga'a child had been born a couple of days before the tour he'd have gone to South Africa. Certainly from looking at history it's very clear that teams and players will do whatever they can not to miss the birth of the child but then it's unlikely they'll then miss rugby after that point.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No doubt. I'd guess though that if Fainga'a child had been born a couple of days before the tour he'd have gone to South Africa. Certainly from looking at history it's very clear that teams and players will do whatever they can not to miss the birth of the child but then it's unlikely they'll then miss rugby after that point.
I think Tamati missed his child’s birth in 2016 to play v the Cheetahs at AAMI Park... though it was his 4th child (the novelty wears off - my brother, being a 4th, has no baby photos at all!).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Tamati missed his child’s birth in 2016 to play v the Cheetahs at AAMI Park. though it was his 4th child (the novelty wears off - my brother, being a 4th, has no baby photos at all!).

Yeah, I remember that game. I'm pretty sure they interviewed him and he said that his wife said he should play.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
And further down is our fly-half answer. Tayler Adams.

Wessels would give no hint on forward signings but did reveal NSW Country Eagles five-eighth Tayler Adams, the 2017 Ken Catchpole Medal-winner from Sydney’s West Harbour club, had joined the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.