• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This whole scenario over Foley quite depresses me: WTF didn't he grab the opportunity to get first choice game time at 10 for the Rebels? God knows we need the best players to be playing regularly in their best positions in Oz rugby.

In grudging defence of Bernard, he would've been sold a giant gold plated carrot to stay in Sydney. It looks bad now that KB (Kurtley Beale) is back in the fold, but the opportunity to play 10 under cheika with that backline would be pretty exciting.

It's the suggestion that there was an ARU interference that pisses me off.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is a pity to see Sam Lane head off shore. I think he could have had a real shot if he ended up somewhere like the Rebels or Force. He showed some real talant in 2012 before he got injured. I am still curious as to why the Tahs cut him lose last year. I now they said it was mutual but still a bit curious.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nathan Grey leaving to go to tahs as defensive coach. free will or pushed ?

there are some worrying signs at the rebels. no significant new signings (since mid season); a new coach; old coach dumped, perhaps just as he was starting to get results, muggleton and grey also gone; new VRU/ARU ownership but insufficient clout to get foley to follow through on the agreement he apparently had committed to; dwindling crowds; problems from the Sydney and Brisbane clubs allowing the Rebels to play Dewar Shield.

I hope I am wrong about all this, as the post South Africa season had a lot of promise, but I really worry the wheels might just fall off if there is no on field success early next year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree with the concerns
I think Hill deserved to keep his job.

Not keeping Phipps for Burgo, mistake. Think Stirzaker will be starting in 2014. Also would have tried hard to find space for Ged next season, had a great season and was one of the most consistant performers for the last 3 seasons.

There should be a replacement for KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) named. (At least one high profile signing)

No mention that Sam Cordingley has at least re-signed for two years, which is the best news about the club since the season finished.

Not a mention of who Tony is going to have in his coaching set up, would like to see a plan of action to be honest. Or at least hear some goals the club is setting.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
great news about cordingley

agree that the Phipps fuck up was appalling and I assume largely due to the recently departed CEO.

the major positives I see are Rob Clarke, Sam Cordingley and Cap'n Higgers.

and the groundswell of local community support, but this largesse will only last so long

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like the look of our current squad, just needs that one back to spark things at 10 or 12. Hope Bryce can do the job as he will have learned a lot seeing it was only his first year in union. Would like to see English and Inman play together in the centers.

My current backline would look something like:

9)Stirzaker
10) Hegarty
11) Kingston
12) English
13) Inman
14) Situati
15) Woodward

(That looks young!!!)

But the back of house stuff needs to get it's sh*t sorted quick smart and start preparing to do what ever it needs to do to be successful in this state or the club is screwed.

Maybe get a lesson from the early board of Storm as they gained a crowd pretty quickly, although it was at a smaller stadium and they struggle to fill AAMI park as well.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Recruitment takes a lot of planning and many were calling for Phipps to be canned twelve plus months ago, I'm a fan of him and sorry to see him go, kudos to him for being a class act despite the contracts. Not worried about our scrumhalf, Burgo and Stirzaker is a damn good pair. I am concerned about the lack of experienced playmaker at ten. I believe JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 was what needed to happen but it seems he screwed that up. I keep hoping he would go back, swallow some pride and do wtf is required to get with the programme because I believe in the guy as a player and honestly think he is fundamentally decent.

But my main concern is coaching, I feel we have thrown out a good coaching crew at the very time they were getting on top of things. That said the team itself has shaped up very well with Cordingley and there is little choice but to give the new guys some time to settle in and take charge.

Meh.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
great news about cordingley

agree that the Phipps fuck up was appalling and I assume largely due to the recently departed CEO.

the major positives I see are Rob Clarke, Sam Cordingley and Cap'n Higgers.

and the groundswell of local community support, but this largesse will only last so long

Phipps departure is due to his and his agents greed. Plays a couple of tests due to Genias injury and thinks he is a wallaby. Due to his ridiculous demands , Cordingley sources Burgess an established international player and he signs for significantly less than the myth that is Phipps.
There is a sad continuing trend of rubbish ill informed comment on this blog , that appears to be death riding the club.
Thank you Im out , wish you all the best!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Phipps departure is due to his and his agents greed. Plays a couple of tests due to Genias injury and thinks he is a wallaby. Due to his ridiculous demands , Cordingley sources Burgess an established international player and he signs for significantly less than the myth that is Phipps.
There is a sad continuing trend of rubbish ill informed comment on this blog , that appears to be death riding the club.

Good mail.

Stick around blues recovery, need your input on all things Rebel!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

Blues recovery there is only one way the ill informed (as you paint this thread) will become informed is rely on sources that can provide credible information. You appear to have a handle on the facts, therefor you can see what you a sense would do.

I can't believe however its all total ill informed, perhaps more some over enthusiastic passion. One thing I think we can all vouch for I'm this forum is rebels passion to make this work in Victoria

This to me is best place I've found for real discussion/debate on rugby issue and I would hope it can stay that way.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

blues i am happy to be corrected and if i have offended you i am sorry. from what i could gather from the media i thought the whole thing was badly handled but i'm not on the inside so i stand corrected. i personally think phipps is a good player so was sorry to see him go. perhaps his mangager is more at fault.

blues you should stick around to keep us properly informed

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't flounce mate.

I actually think the club need to get on the front foot a bit more in the off-season. People don't just stop following rugby for the months it's not being played. And when there's no information coming out save that we're losing coaches and players, it's easy for people to begin to worry.

Personally I don't think Phipps is a loss. Hopefully Stirzaker finally gets some serious gametime. Burgess will be excellent coming off the bench with 20 to go.

What we really need is a serious 12. In an ideal world that's where JOC (James O'Connor) should have been playing the last two years, but too late now. I want to see Inman there, reckon English showed enough towards the end of the season at 13 to supplant him.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Phipps isn't a great loss.

He's the most average halfback to play for Australia in a long time.

No point paying a bloke like that mega bucks when you have brugo and the ranga waiting in the wings.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Phipps isn't a great loss.

He's the most average halfback to play for Australia in a long time.

No point paying a bloke like that mega bucks when you have brugo and the ranga waiting in the wings.
Funnily enough he's always been better for the Wallabies than he has the Rebels.

He's a trier, he makes an absolute fuckload of tackles, has a decent running game. However his passing and speed to the breakdown seems to range somewhere between average and diabolical.

Miles better than that pair of jokers the Tahs have mind. Worked out well for everyone really.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Why did the Rebels release Stirzaker, Sitauti, Paul Alo-Emile, Max Lahiff to the ITM Cup but not Jason Woodward and Scott Fugistaller? Double standards?

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think Sitauti has re-signed with Rebels yet. Does anyone have any news on that?

Hegarty hasn't re-signed either yet but is set to sign a new deal with the Rebels in the next few days.

Blues recovery please don't go.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Why did the Rebels release Stirzaker, Sitauti, Paul Alo-Emile, Max Lahiff to the ITM Cup but not Jason Woodward and Scott Fugistaller? Double standards?

If they have any aspirations to Green and Gold at all, they wouldn't have wanted to go.

Of course, I am a bit Jon Snow-esque in this department.

Status
Not open for further replies.