• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fact 1: The Rebels will end up with at least 1 or 2 recruitments from the ITM Cup for 2014.

Fact 2: The Rebels need a 10 and a 12 (presuming that we've decided Angus Roberts is a 15).

So, what 10/12s were good this round in ITM and is worth watching?

Interestingly, Bey Seymour has finish his contract up in France and is playing ITM Cup for Northland. One must guess he's hunting a Super rugby spot as as if he was contracted in Europe or Japan he wouldn't be available for the ITM. Rumour has it he's a bit of a pill BUT he's young, promising, and surely would do well to bunk with former Manly players Neville and Reid that he no doubt has a relationship with.

I'd love to get Wellington/Highlanders duo Lima Sopoanga (at 10) and Shawn Treeby (at 12). Fuck they're good, they're both in and out of first string at the disappointing Highlanders, and it's pretty obvious that somebody at the Rebels has a contract at Wellington provincial if you look at where our major NZ recruitment comes out of.

As an outside chance, I really liked Tua Saseve at 12 for North Harbours and I liked him last year for Hawks Bay (he was the bald centre for HB, now he's the one with the mop). He a nice truck-up player but maybe isn't a good fit with Inman at 13.

I'd say either Sopanga or Treeby would be the best pick-ups but Seymour the most likely.

So, thoughts? Anybody interested in Saseve, Seymour, Sopanga, or Treeby?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I honestly think the rebels would be better served getting a young 10 or 12 from Australia then getting more NZ mercenaries.
Not saying it's a bad thing but honestly Rebels is a Aus franchise. I know the same could be said about the force and SA players but at the same time the force are a unique situation.
I think the Rebels have signed three top imports in Horie, Woodward and Fuigistaller (if thats how its spelt) and should count themselves lucky that the all panned out.
There is quality 10/12s playing in the local premier comps and I think the rebels just need to go and look.
In qld there is Brett Gillespie, Sam Greene, Con Foley, Jake McIntyre.
Couple that with Kris Burton from WA & the Horrowitz from NSW and you have some excellent options. On the other hand they rebels could try and negotiate an approach for CTM from the force or Lance from NSW.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I honestly think the rebels would be better served getting a young 10 or 12 from Australia then getting more NZ mercenaries.
Not saying it's a bad thing but honestly Rebels is a Aus franchise. I know the same could be said about the force and SA players but at the same time the force are a unique situation.
I think the Rebels have signed three top imports in Horie, Woodward and Fuigistaller (if thats how its spelt) and should count themselves lucky that the all panned out.
There is quality 10/12s playing in the local premier comps and I think the rebels just need to go and look.
In qld there is Brett Gillespie, Sam Greene, Con Foley, Jake McIntyre.
Couple that with Kris Burton from WA & the Horrowitz from NSW and you have some excellent options. On the other hand they rebels could try and negotiate an approach for CTM from the force or Lance from NSW.

I agree with signing Australians, but the lack of high quality 3rd tier makes it hard to grasp how well they will step up.

I think McIntyre could be lured away if the QRU decide they want Greene for the reds academy next year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
In all honesty even if they offered Greene and/or McIntyre a shot at academy. You would be crazy not to take an EPS or squad position instead which is what the rebels are looking for.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
From the Canberra Comp, Vikings' 10/12 Rodney Iona is worth a look at. Only young but has been in the Brumbies academy for a few years now. Stepped up very well over the weekend to help Brumbies win the World Club Sevens tournament, and from memory is from Melbourne originally. Sam Windsor is another from Queanbeyan and has been one of the best players in the comp this year playing 15/10.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree with the sentiment of developing young players. You only have to look at the Brumbies to see how that has worked out. They might not end up as talented, although Cordingly appears to have a good eye, but they will value the opportunity that you have given them.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sopoanga is talented, but a flake. I'd be looking at him through my fingers if he ever stepped out for us. Treeby I really like, would be thrilled if we could get our mitts on him.

Couldn't really care less whether the player is Australian or not to be honest. I realise that's not the prevailing view, but as long as whoever we get is young and talented I'm all aboard. I'd way rather pick up a Treeby or Woodward than a Sidey for example. Pick up the best player you can for the position, where they come from shouldn't come into consideration unless we're at the cap limit for foreign players.

In other news, apparently Situati had a very good game for BoP. I wonder if the ITM Cup will get him going like it did for Betham last year. I think he's exactly what we need on the wing. A back three of Situati, English/Kingston and Woodward at the back looks pretty solid to me.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would be good if you managed to get all 4 Victorian's at once.

10) To'omua
11) Digby
12) Lealiifano
13) Tapuai

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Would be good if you managed to get all 4 Victorian's at once.

10) To'omua
11) Digby
12) Lealiifano
13) Tapuai

Add English at 14 and Woodward at 15 and you would have one insane back line.
We wait, hope and pray! Hahaha

I couldn't see the Brumbies giving up on either Lilo or To'omua without a serious money fight. But you never know, crazier things have happened.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you're missing a key fact when talking about my suggested recruitments, one of them IS Aussie.

Seymour (despite being Kiwi born) is an uncontracted 23yo Australian flyhalf with starting Top 14 and Super Rugby experience. He's also from Manly where the Rebels have plenty of links.

If you could pay him a mid-tier contact he'd be an excellent signing.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I couldn't see the Brumbies giving up on either Lilo or To'omua without a serious money fight. But you never know, crazier things have happened.

Would never happen, be lucky to end up getting one of the four.

I agree with you en_forc_er that Seymour could be a good option, just depends how much he is looking to be paid.

Seeing he has came back to ITM and not continued in France or gone to Japan you must expect that it's not about the money and more about being closer to home.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bryce Cavenagh has been appointed head of athletic performance for the next two seasons. Another Munster man joins the Rebels team.

Status
Not open for further replies.