• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why did the Rebels release Stirzaker, Sitauti, Paul Alo-Emile, Max Lahiff to the ITM Cup but not Jason Woodward and Scott Fugistaller? Double standards?
Correct me if im wrong but both those players are development players and if they left aus to play in the itm cup they would lose their residence (ala Speight) hence why they havent been released.

Much the same as sias and haywood at the force.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Why did the Rebels release Stirzaker, Sitauti, Paul Alo-Emile, Max Lahiff to the ITM Cup but not Jason Woodward and Scott Fugistaller? Double standards?

Dunno about Woodward but Scott Fugistaller did his shoulder in the highlanders match and has recently had surgery. Don't think he will be seen in the ITM this year.

Woodward has wallaby aspirations and publicly is committed to that. Still, nervous to see a talent like that in the all black scout sights: I wanna claim him as a future wallaby now! Well at least a long term rebel.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Woodward is a future Wallaby for sure. There is some competition around 15 now but the boy is to good to be held out long, by the time he qualifies he'll be GTG.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd actually like to see the Rebels do something like the NFLs Hard Knocks this pre-season. There's plenty of storylines to run through, wouldn't be that difficult to create a half-decent narrative. Delve gone, JOC (James O'Connor)+Beale gone, Hill gone, laughing stock of the competition, lots of young talent - competition for spots etc. We keep talking about how it's such a crazy competitive sporting market here, which it is, but all that means is we need to create a point of difference.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sure, it's gossip dressed as investigative journalism, but this sinks the velvet slipper into O'Connor, Beale, Cipriani, and to a lesser extent Cooper.

O'Connor comes off really poorly, painted as the "cunning" ringleader who never takes the fall.

Good luck with the contract negotiations boys!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/with-amigos-like-these--20130816-2s24k.html

Enlightening. A clean slate is all well and good, but personally I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has served sufficient penance to yet be in the Wallabies.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I agree. Some good anecdotes from JON, but it seems to sum up everything that's been posted ad infinitum on these boards in the last 12 months.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
You reckon that's enlightening? I thought it was a very shoddy, lazy, piece of journalism. It's a thousand-odd words of speculation backed up with some fairly specious quotes from 'witnesses in the room' and similar. Not quite sure how O'Connor becomes the ringleader when the same article, with more anonymous sources, claims
''We were stunned,'' says one senior Wallabies player. ''Because he (Quade) had been at the centre of the toxicity.'' I seriously wouldn't read anything into it.

As for serving penance... what's he even serving penance for? I'm really starting to think Australia rugby fans want to be scandalised and outraged. Can't we just have some rugby journalists who want to talk about rugby? That's just more Growden-esque drivel.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Stirzaker was very average for Manawatu in the ITM Cup.. Probably the worst game I've seen from him. Pass was very shaky, not quite Phipps-esque, but still pretty poor. Made a couple of decent runs but looked a yard slower than usual. Was dragged after about 50 minutes. Lahiff looked very solid for Hawke's Bay. Not overly involved around the ground, but you expect that from your tighthead. He was a rock come scrum time, I reckon we'd see him more involved around the park if he'd been given a crack at loosehead. Still - looks a promising signing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The article doesn't really add anything new to what we already knew about these chumps except for adding some colourful quotes from JON, which then begs the question (as Matt wrote on the front page) - why didn't JON do anything about it?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Stirzaker was very average for Manawatu in the ITM Cup.. Probably the worst game I've seen from him. Pass was very shaky, not quite Phipps-esque, but still pretty poor. Made a couple of decent runs but looked a yard slower than usual. Was dragged after about 50 minutes. Lahiff looked very solid for Hawke's Bay. Not overly involved around the ground, but you expect that from your tighthead. He was a rock come scrum time, I reckon we'd see him more involved around the park if he'd been given a crack at loosehead. Still - looks a promising signing.

Out of interest Dumbledore how are you accessing the ITM matches? Are they on Fox somewhere or are you subscribing to an online streaming service?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
toby smith was very good for waikato, a great buy for the rebels and clearly a starting LHP next year. i thought PAE played well too, solid in the scrums but also contributed around the ground, cleaning out, tackling and a lovely catch and pass to set up the try.

didn't see stirzaker or lahiff

looking forward to sitauti playing for BOP today

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
toby smith was very good for waikato, a great buy for the rebels and clearly a starting LHP next year. i thought PAE played well too, solid in the scrums but also contributed around the ground, cleaning out, tackling and a lovely catch and pass to set up the try.

didn't see stirzaker or lahiff

looking forward to sitauti playing for BOP today

Swing if you saw Toby Smith you saw Max Lahiff. He was on the other side of the scrum to Smith. Stirzaker was awful.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Ben Seymour, who has played for the force and in sydney, played for northland last night and didn't embarrass himself. Kicked 6 from 6 and facilitated well.

He might be worth bringing in to add a bit of depth at flyhalf for the rebels.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
watched the BOP v Otago game.

Sitauti looked good in attack, beat players and ran hard, made ground and controlled the ball well when tackled.
looked a bit tentative in defense, not gun shy but more hesitant as to where he should be. i think these few weeks will do him a lot of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.