• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You'd hope he stays within the framework as the players seem to love him as coach. Removing him from the club altogether would require delicate man-management and a very well respected replacement.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Tom Kingston had an outstanding second-half cameo performance for Sydney Uni against Gordon. He came on at 15 but basically played as an extra 13.

The Waratahs must be seriously strong if they have no use for him. But then again they've only played him on the wing and 13 is definitely his go. It's interesting to note the continuing suggestion that he is undersized for a centre. He's still very young with a big frame and plenty of time to fill out.
My only qualm with Kingston as a player is that he rarely looks to use his outside men and can be selfish in his play but then again this distribution quality seems to be out of favour in recent years.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tom Kingston had an outstanding second-half cameo performance for Sydney Uni against Gordon. He came on at 15 but basically played as an extra 13.

The Waratahs must be seriously strong if they have no use for him. But then again they've only played him on the wing and 13 is definitely his go. It's interesting to note the continuing suggestion that he is undersized for a centre. He's still very young with a big frame and plenty of time to fill out.

I think he moved for opportunity Bruce, I haven't read anywhere that he wasn't offered a contract, just that at the moment he is down the pecking order - and that is because Betham and Crawford are playing better

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
SMH is confirming Foley.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/foleys-deal-leaves-big-gap/story-fndpt9s1-1226654151671

Great 10, can't kick. Which is probably the Rebs' major issue to begin with.

So, here's an idea for 2014. Let O'Connor go elsewhere, play Hegarty at 15 (considered his primary position until 2 weeks ago), and play Woodward at 12.

Woodward is a solid ball runner and defender, he's got a kicking game to cover Foley, AND he's played plenty of 10 so playing a 2nd playmaker role out of 12 would be no biggie.

It's not perfect, obviously it's not always the best idea to take a terrific 15 and move him (Muliaina for example) but I think it could work a treat.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Hill deserves another season in charge. Since SA we have won 3 and lost 4. Average winning margin has been 6 points, average losing margin has been 4.25. It's been some turn around in form since KB (Kurtley Beale) hit Delve and might just have been what the Rebels needed to really bond as a unit and remove the individual's from the group.

Since round 8 we are second highest points (202) and try scorers(25) in the comp behind the Tahs(216 & 26) . In the first 7 rounds we where joint last in points (105) and last in try's scored (9).

Can't believer the Herald Sun actually did rugby stats today for once. We have at least a point in ever game since the SA trip.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
If he wins 1/3 remaining, he's in with a chance.
2/3 and he's a cert.

Unless, of course, McKenzie were available, in which case he was never any chance.

Either way, he'll likely stay with the Rebels.

you and blues recovery obviously have some ins at the club. so hill is happy to stay on even if he's not head coach?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hill will be there next year in some capacity, I imagine he was a big influencer in bringing down Kingston and Foley

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hill will be there next year in some capacity, I imagine he was a big influencer in bringing down Kingston and Foley
Given the suggestion that Hilly will in all probability be staying on but not as Head Coach, and given the very large contingent of Sydney Uni players, the choice for the top job should be an absolute no-brainer - Todd Louden. He had a major role in developing the majority of those players and he improves the performance of every club he has been with.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
you and blues recovery obviously have some ins at the club. so hill is happy to stay on even if he's not head coach?
I think the Rebs are determined to find the best available Coach irrespective of the team performance for the rest of the year.
I believe there may be a view that team performance at the moment is what should have been delivered from the start of the season and that the goings on in SA were unacceptable and that Hill is mainly accountable for that.
That being said there is no doubt the team has now galvanized around themselves and the coach since it was announced he would have to reapply for his gig and KB (Kurtley Beale) was removed from the scene.
Would also reiterate that the squad being assembled is Sam Cordingleys squad. This is being undertaken along the lines of the AFL model , whereby the list is managed to a degree outside of the coaching setup.
Reckon Hill is having input but final decision is resting with Sam and the CEO

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I think the Rebs are determined to find the best available Coach irrespective of the team performance for the rest of the year.

Basically this. Those performance targets are my idea for what will give Hill a fighting chance in the interview process.

Either way, I think he'll stay with the team.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They need to keep Saffy, or consider Jones more at 6. With Fuglistaller, Reid and Fainga'a they have three opensides who I wouldn't consider to start in any other position currently. Lopeti could start at 8 with Higgers at 6, but I'd be more inclined to keep Saffy at 6, Higgers at 8 and Lopeti off the bench. Fuglistaller and Reid will miss out, unless you go a 6/2 split and add Fuglistaller to the bench. Three opensides is too much for a squad, so they will probably lose one in a year.

Otherwise it's a nice pack, with some particularly good depth developing at lock (Pyle, Neville, Jones). Delve still is a loss, he's been off this year, but still now closes out games really well.

Only question marks are over tighthead and hooker. PAE should be starting to hit his straps, so I have high hopes of him bumping Weeks to the bench for next year. I am unsure on Sexton and Lahiff, having not seen them play yet.

Over all, you'd have to be pretty damn happy about the Rebels recruitment as a Rebels fan.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a Force fan, the recruiting by Sam Cordingley for the Rebels is seriously impressive. With the way things are going for the Rebels, I reckon they could realistically push for the top 8, and perhaps even the top 6 next year. It's also great for Australian rugby as Australian player depth is being developed at another franchise other than the Tahs, Reds and the Brumbies

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think Eddie Aholelei will be with the Rebels next year. He has played a test for Tonga so surely that means he takes up an international spot on our list. I can't see the Rebels holding open an international spot for a 31 year old who has played just one game of Super Rugby and doesn't have any significant experience in test rugby or in Europe.

Although we do seem to have an international spot for a professional bench warmer (Shota) this year.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Agree. they have unearthed some quality players this year in addition to the last couple years.
Higgers outstanding
Jason Woodward is looking absurdly promising and Tommy English is turning into a great find. I don't think we're done either with Situati showing glimpses of being quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.