• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
This is a Lions lunch I'm hosting in Melbourne - confirmed speakers so far are Gareth Delve and Stirling Mortlock. Please share to support, and get your tickets quick!

LBritLions Social-01.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
i think beale is clearly a lock to go back to the tahs.
if folau leaves, i'd say the tahs will sign him but depending on graham, i think there is also scope for him to go to the reds. keep in mind they have lost 1 big salary in diggers and possibly a few schloons out of morahan. further, they never filled the gap higgers left money wise. they probably are a contender. i think he is unlikely to go to the brumbies and don't understand why they would want him. which is funny cause it sounds like JOC (James O'Connor) wants to go to the brumbies the most.

i think he would be best suited to go to the tahs where cheika clearly doesnt suffer fools.

That makes sense. I wear a number of different hats when I think about where JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) should be in 2014 onwards.

Rebels Hat #1: I'd love them to both stay and continue to grow with the team. Exceptional talents who, when used appropriately*, have the potential to elevate the Rebels far beyond what they're capable of without them.

Rebels Hat #2: Happy to see them both leave as their contribution to the team is transparently mercenary (beyond what I’d consider to be normal in a professional sports club) and will last as long as the dollars do. JOC (James O'Connor)’s ambition looks to take precedence over the team’s best fit, and their profile, while good for keeping the Rebels in the papers, isn’t exactly in line with a strong club culture.

Wallabies Hat: Being a Melbourne bloke my first rugby team was the Wallabies, so if they're both available and firing for the national team I'll be fairly content. KB (Kurtley Beale) will fit well at the Tahs, but i'm not so sure JOC (James O'Connor) has a natural fit at any of the other provinces. Rebels might still be the go for him.

To sum up: KB (Kurtley Beale) leaving is probably best for him, the Rebels and the Wallabies. Good luck to him. JOB should stay on the proviso that he plays at 12 and mucks in when needed. If he insists on the 10 jersey and a leadership role as part of his contract (merely a suspicion of mine), he's free to let the door whack him on the way out.

In my opinion.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Looks like Foley flipped on his signed agreement with the Rebels.

Disappointing, he would've been a great addition.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Genia all over again...*sigh*

Should have waited until pen to paper was done. I'm guessing the 'tahs leaked it out early in an attempt to stir a social media backlash, akin to the Genia affair last year.

Rob Clarke is being very diplomatic about the whole affair, but I'm betting he's ready to tear someone a new a-hole for this. Bring on the next 'tahs match for next year.

Now, let the speculation begin as to what JOC (James O'Connor) will do. Perhaps this speculation made Foley have second thoughts...who knows.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It was dumb for the tahs to let him go in the first place. Competent flyhalfs are essential for super rugby success.

Are To'omua and Lilo both signed up in canberra? Maybe go after one of them.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Lilo's a Melbourne boy. Posters here have suggested JOC (James O'Connor) is pushing for a Brumbies contract, if so I'd be happy to swap him for Lilo.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Lilo's a Melbourne boy. Posters here have suggested JOC (James O'Connor) is pushing for a Brumbies contract, if so I'd be happy to swap him for Lilo.

Pity they don't want/need him. I think Berine Larkam and Jake have gone on public record about this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pity they don't want/need him. I think Berine Larkam and Jake have gone on public record about this.

There's nowhere for him at the Brumbies........

As great as JOC (James O'Connor) is there's no one you'd replace him with.........

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
Beale is going because of a questionable character and it looks like the Rebels have dodged a bullet with Foley.
Any man that signs a letter of intent and then goes back on it because his current employer offers more money as reported is not a person to trust.
I am an employer and have had this sort of thing happen to me. You go through the process of recruiting, find the right candidate and they agree to come. You then start planning with that person in mind this includes dropping interest in other targets and changing focus in certain areas. Then to have the individual back out of the deal just shows an individual of particularly low character.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Beale is going because of a questionable character and it looks like the Rebels have dodged a bullet with Foley.
Any man that signs a letter of intent and then goes back on it because his current employer offers more money as reported is not a person to trust.
I am an employer and have had this sort of thing happen to me. You go through the process of recruiting, find the right candidate and they agree to come. You then start planning with that person in mind this includes dropping interest in other targets and changing focus in certain areas. Then to have the individual back out of the deal just shows an individual of particularly low character.

I was thinking this this morning. It's a pity that the player of his caliber isn't coming to us next year, but it looks like he was only talking to Cordingley because the Tahs offer wasn't up to his personal expectations.

The Rebels must feel like a separated parent being used as leverage for better Christmas presents.

Good luck to him.

D

daz

Given I wasn't really doing cartwheels when the deal was announced, I'm not too disappointed with it falling over.

I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) is whoring himself around the provinces but I have a gut feel he will stay. We have a more than competant (though green) backup in Hegarty.

Not the end of the world, but if JOC (James O'Connor) leaves, we do need a decent signing to replace him.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I know what you're saying, but there's a reason he's not starting for the Reds - because he's super average. Woodward is an excellent kicker, JOC (James O'Connor) is above average as well. 10. Hegarty, 12. JOC (James O'Connor) is by far the most logical choice if he stays. If JOC (James O'Connor) goes then yep, Harries wouldn't be the worst.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
TBH, I like the idea of Harris. While I like what he's done, I'm not 100% sold on Hegarty yet. I like him, and Roberts, but having a proven player at Super level is not exactly a bad thing.

The best I've ever seen O'Connor play at 10 or 12 is when he has a 2nd playmaker alongside him, EOYT 2011, with Barnes at 12, and that stretch last year with Cips at 10. Harris could be an ideal 12 to back him up.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Looks like the Rebels have dodged a bullet with Foley.
As unsavoury as it is, welcome to contract negotiations. It happens all the time in the corporate world and sport.

The Rebels tried to lure him away from his home with more money and are then perplexed because he changed his mind for more money?

Perhaps they should change their modus operandi of attracting players through financial means (Higgers, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor)) but instead give them better pathways to develop. Plenty of players on low money at the Brumbies for that exact reason.

D

daz

So here's the thing; I work for a company. A headhunter approaches me one day and says, hey, we like you. Come work across the road and here is a decent salary and benefits carrot to sweeten the deal.

I say, hell, that looks good. I'm in.

I go back to my office and hand in my letter of resignation. My boss says, no please don't go. We like you too. Here, I'll match the offer from those arseholes across the road.

I say, thanks boss, but can I also have a gym membership thrown in? He says sure. I stay.

Welcome to business. Just because Foley throws a ball for a living, what makes him any different to the blokes who have a "real job"?

I am 100% loyal to the company I work for. And I will be 100% loyal to the next company I work for. The transition between the two of them is me being 100% loyal to myself.

That's just me. It might be different for you. But neither is wrong.

T

Train Without a Station

TBH, I like the idea of Harris. While I like what he's done, I'm not 100% sold on Hegarty yet. I like him, and Roberts, but having a proven player at Super level is not exactly a bad thing.

The best I've ever seen O'Connor play at 10 or 12 is when he has a 2nd playmaker alongside him, EOYT 2011, with Barnes at 12, and that stretch last year with Cips at 10. Harris could be an ideal 12 to back him up.

As a Reds fan I think Harris is a great player and his best position is 12. Unfortunately that's where some of our best options (Taps, Finger) play so he only really gets a chance to play 15. Would be a great addition as a 12 that can float to 10 or 15 if necessary. Strong defender, can pilfer a bit, good crash ball runner, good kicking game, average passing game and probably is the best use considering his lack of any real pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.