• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
So here's the thing; I work for a company. A headhunter approaches me one day and says, hey, we like you. Come work across the road and here is a decent salary and benefits carrot to sweeten the deal.

I say, hell, that looks good. I'm in.

I go back to my office and hand in my letter of resignation. My boss says, no please don't go. We like you too. Here, I'll match the offer from those arseholes across the road.

I say, thanks boss, but can I also have a gym membership thrown in? He says sure. I stay.

Welcome to business. Just because Foley throws a ball for a living, what makes him any different to the blokes who have a "real job"?

I am 100% loyal to the company I work for. And I will be 100% loyal to the next company I work for. The transition between the two of them is me being 100% loyal to myself.

That's just me. It might be different for you. But neither is wrong.

Nice summary :)

After all this mess I'm trying to work out the benefits of these 'letters of intent' and if they have any legal recognition. If they don't mean then a) why would you use them and b) why would you let the world know that you've signed one? I've always suspected that someone from team 'tahland leaked this as the Rebels were very quiet when it first hit the press last Friday. Like I said previously it's Genia all over again.

If these letters of intent have any legal recognition then the Rebels would probably have rights to pursue something here. I'm only an armchair Lawyer here, so hopefully someone with a legal brain can comment on this. Even some as simple as a handshake agreement can be considered legally binding.

End of the day each player has to look after themselves as it's their livelihood and they only have a short time to maximize it. You can;t knock a bloke for doing that, but they way in which you carry yourself speaks 1,000 words.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd be impressed if Foley, as a 23 year old, would be able to stand there and look Cheika in the eye and tell him firmly he's leaving.

To say he strikes me as intimidating is an understatement.

If the difference between playing for the Rebels and staying at Tahland was the contract amount, and the Tahs have reached an agreeable level then he's made the right choice.

T

Train Without a Station

The letter of intent sounds completely pointless. If there are no terms to be bound by what fucking good is it? If I can remember to my basic legal studies at uni, a contract requires offer, acceptance and consideration. It sounds like the letter is signed without the consideration defined, in which case it's not a legal contract, in which case what fucking good is it? It appears to be the dumbest process I've ever heard of.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The letter of intent sounds completely pointless. If there are no terms to be bound by what fucking good is it? If I can remember to my basic legal studies at uni, a contract requires offer, acceptance and consideration. It sounds like the letter is signed without the consideration defined, in which case it's not a legal contract, in which case what fucking good is it? It appears to be the dumbest process I've ever heard of.

Totally agree. I've been saying this in other threads, however depending on the content of the LOA it could be viewed as a biding agreement. Whilst waving my armchair Lawyer flag it would seem that a signed agreement between two parties for the provision of goods/services (in this case cash for Rugby stuff) would seem like a basic contract. Employment contracts wouldn't vary too far from this as the goods/service is the same. If the LOA has no legal weight or relevance then WHY BOTHER!

Only thing this leaves now is added spice for the next Rebels/'tahs match. Next year can't come quick enough (in that regard).

I think it's likely someone from 'tahland leaked this to the media in an effort to stir up a social media shitstorm similar to Genia. Guess you can call this episode Genia 2.0: the return of Foley.

T

Train Without a Station

If the consideration is not defined, it is not a legal contract, so it cannot be binding. Employment contracts state the consideration which is the salary and the expectations of the role.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
If the consideration is not defined, it is not a legal contract, so it cannot be binding. Employment contracts state the consideration which is the salary and the expectations of the role.

Fair point. Again I speculate on the contents of a Super Rugby LOA. I'm guessing they are fairly similar accross the board and I would have thought something that looks like roles, responsibilities, remuneration would be included. I would that would have passed the legal definition of consideration?

If they are using employment contracts for the basic agreement between Soup team and player then consideration would have been well stated. I don't know how the ARU top up contracts are constructed; I would guess more some like a standards good & services contract.

Again if the LOAs don't state enough information for legal consideration then they are non value add and should be kicked into touch for good.

T

Train Without a Station

Well the speculation is that a letter of intent doesn't contain the finalized details (e.g. financial) which is the consideration.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
So here's the thing; I work for a company. A headhunter approaches me one day and says, hey, we like you. Come work across the road and here is a decent salary and benefits carrot to sweeten the deal.

I say, hell, that looks good. I'm in.

I go back to my office and hand in my letter of resignation. My boss says, no please don't go. We like you too. Here, I'll match the offer from those arseholes across the road.

I say, thanks boss, but can I also have a gym membership thrown in? He says sure. I stay.

Welcome to business. Just because Foley throws a ball for a living, what makes him any different to the blokes who have a "real job"?

I am 100% loyal to the company I work for. And I will be 100% loyal to the next company I work for. The transition between the two of them is me being 100% loyal to myself.

That's just me. It might be different for you. But neither is wrong.

And all that is fine up to the point where you sign a letter of intent. A verbal negotiation is one thing but a signed commitment is another entirely.

If I was looking for a new job I would wait until I got a written offer from my new employer before resigning from my old post as I am sure you would. I would not however accept the offer and sign it until I have finished all discussions with my current employer.

You never sign anything unless you intend to honour it.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Iain Payten reporting on Twitter:

James O'Connor signs a 3-year deal with West Harbour Pirates.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, just that he could play Shute Shield for them if he wasn't playing for us; hopefully doesn't mean he is Tahs bound.

Really looking forward to watching Colby on Friday night, and then seeing Tom Kingston at 13 and also Lopeti Timani on Sunday.

On the Mike Harris debate, if he is unsigned then I think there is plenty of merit in looking at getting him across. Forget the fact that he is an ace goalkicker, but is a proven performer at 10, 12 and 15 - great utility option. Also, he could get in Woodward's ear to convince him of the merits of turning your back on NZ and playing for the Wallabies!!

With Foley not signing, I wonder whether we now have to commit one spot to an out-and-out scrumhalf, as he would have been able to be the .5 like Kingi to make 2.5 scrumhalves in the squad..

D

daz

And all that is fine up to the point where you sign a letter of intent. A verbal negotiation is one thing but a signed commitment is another entirely.

If I was looking for a new job I would wait until I got a written offer from my new employer before resigning from my old post as I am sure you would. I would not however accept the offer and sign it until I have finished all discussions with my current employer.

You never sign anything unless you intend to honour it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point perfectly. But this has happened several times recently and if the Letter of Intent really meant anything, clubs would enforce it.

It just appears to be nothing more than a piece of meaningless paper.

I don't blame the player. The system allows him to play one against the other, so why wouldn't he?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not impressed if this is his attitude coming to melbourne

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/rugby...ga'a-a-rebel-with-a-cause-20130606-2ntaj.html

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Seems the be just Chris Dutton's opinion as I can;t see any quotes from Colby in there? How does he know that's his intentions?

Having said that I can appreciate the logic, but don't think it's the best posture for team building.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nic Henderson has announced his retirement from the end of this year. So he won't be around in 2014.

D

daz

A good man, Hendo.

Not the best and not the worst player to have pulled on a professional jersey. But he can't be accused of not giving his all.

His willingness to have a chat to anyone after the games was and is hugely appreciated.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/rugby...ga'a-a-rebel-with-a-cause-20130606-2ntaj.html

Rest assured Kev, Colby is looking to establish himself as a potential future leader at the Rebels & not just a 1 year option

D

daz

Not quite sure what the issue is here, Kev. He wants to make a name for himself and develop as a 7 and a leader. Good on him.

If it works out, I am sure the Rebels and CF will extend. If it doesn't, he is free to leave and we are not lumbered with a non-required player for 3 years.

The one year deal seems to benefit the Rebels more than CF. It is a huge risk to back yourself on short term contracts. A bit of form drop and your value and attractiveness has just been reduced.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the aligning your contract expiry with a few others in a similar position (who are ahead of him career wise) isn't overly cynical and is a smart move career wise.

I would say it is more of a protection for him than anything else. Whilst it offers him the chance to jump ship if a star 7 leaves another franchise, more likely it offers him the chance to jump ship if the Rebels sign someone ahead of him (as happened at the Brumbies with Pocock).

Status
Not open for further replies.