• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It could work but I have doubts about Inmans passing game. Sitauti or English at 12 might also work.

Of course I'd love to see O'Connor run out there but it looks like it will never happen.
Yeah I know what you're saying, there are a couple of ways around it though. The first is you pick a flyhalf with a long enough passing game that the 12 can be cut out, the second is that you get Inman running very straight and then you really work on his short passing game over the off season. Passing is something that really can be worked on - look at Nonu for one. If Foley does get signed, there's suddenly a whole load of different ways the backline could line up. Personally I'd like to see what Foley could do with a scrumhalf who could actually pass him the ball, but we all know that's not going to happen. If Foley does come down, JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 looks to be the blindingly obvious move though.

Burgess
Foley
Sitauti
JOC (James O'Connor)
Inman
Kingston
Woodward

Burgess
Foley
Vuna
Inman
Kingston
Woodward
JOC (James O'Connor)

Burgess
JOC (James O'Connor)
Kingston
Sidey
Inman
Woodward
Foley

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sam Cordingley has earned his bonus for this year. Seems to be a very astute operator with a clear vision for how the club will be represented on the ground.

Writing would appear to be on the wall for Rabbits O'Connor - shape up, play where you're told, get payed what we think you're worth, contribute to the club or find another home.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
not sure on kingston (just haven't seen much of him) but foley is an absolutely fantastic signing.

agree ree above CT. O'Connor unlikely to be getting his way and rolling over people here on out.

beale clearly going to the tahs, hence foley leaving. the question is where does JOC (James O'Connor) end up - i still think QLD are a chance given they have lost morahan, lance and digby. they are definitely lacking a fullback, however it will all revolve around Graham's situation i'd bet.

Force must be a chance, but either way you'd have to say with his lack of play, his stupid haircuts and how much a douche he comes across in the media, Brand O'Connor can't be as high as it used to be.

I suspect that the face of the rebels going forward is going to be Higgers first and foremost, followed by Woodward who provides the razzle dazzle factor to keep the kids interested.

i would have the following backline:
9. burgess/zacker
10 foley
11 vuna
12 English
13 Inman
14 Kingston
15 Woodward

bench
zacker/burgess
two of mitchell/situati/sidey

really impressed with the rebels recruiting this year and last. cordingly earning it for me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully for James O'Connor's sake he realises that he makes a massive amount of money from Super Rugby, Wallabies and his endorsements and that is not likely to change providing he can stay moderately healthy.

He should go to the Super Rugby franchise that gives him the best opportunity to either play where he wants or play with who he wants and potentially sacrifice a few dollars in the process.

He might end up very wealthy by ensuring he's always a big fish in a small pond by earning the lion's share of the salary cap at a struggling franchise but it would be a strange way to spend a career.

When you consider how much of his annual income isn't dependent on his Super Rugby contract (i.e. Wallabies and endorsements) he could take a substantial cut to his Super Rugby remuneration whilst only having a modest impact on his overall remuneration.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I would re-sign Saffy and have Jones listed as Lock and not back row.

There form in the last few rounds has been great.

agree
i think our lock stocks are absolutely top class

7's from faainga, reid and fuglistaller
6's from jones and saffy
8's from higgers, saffy and.....dyer?

we are building a great team and solid depth imo.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
i think JOC (James O'Connor) is a superb player, but to be honest. the way our boys have stepped up the past 3 weeks, i am pretty confident without him and to me the signing of foley to provide specific 10 services signals that JOC (James O'Connor) is leaving.
if JOC (James O'Connor) is our preferred and likely 10 going forward, why would foley come. he'd be in the same position as at the tahs with the imminent arrival of beale (assuming beale plays 10 for them).

so on this basis, i think JOC (James O'Connor) is off. either to the reds or to the force.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Squad now looks like this for next year.

Weekes, Alo Emille,Smith,Lahiff,Aloheli
Sexton,Leafa,TBA
Pyle,Neville,Thomson,TBA
Higgers,Timani,Jones,Faainga,Fulgistaller,Reid
Burgess,Stirzaker
Foley,Roberts
Inman,Mitchell,English,TBA
Vuna,Rockabaro,Kingston
Woodward

So this leaves only 3spots in the main squad to go with current players not re signed or confirmed as leaving
Horie, Saffy,JOC (James O'Connor),Hegarty,Sidey,Sitauti

Reckon Horie could well be the hooker.
Saffy may re sign as a back rower and Jonesy be considered as a lock
Hegarty and Sitauti may come in,with Rockabaro being released.
Both Hegarty(EPS) and Sitauti were only on one year contracts this year.

We're obviously assuming that Davidson, Henderson, Dyer & Ah-Nau are all gone? Are you sure Eddie signed a two year deal? I would love to see us sign five of the six players not renewed thus far, and allow Saff to head overseas to make the most of his post-injury form. He has been sensational, but with the young guns we have signed to play in the backrow it would be good to give them the chance.

Will also be interesting to see whether our 3rd choice scrumhalf is a young player on EPS or perhaps one of the Tah's discards (Hart, M.Lucas)?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
i know for a fact davidson is gone. mate works with him and he's either going back to sydney or joining the workforce down here fulltime.
dyer is academy isn't he? don't see why he can't stay as part of the extended EPS squad.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think we'll see much of Vuna next year, or at least I hope we don't. We've got enough attacking depth across the field now that we won't need to rely on him. And I'm sick of seeing defensive liabilities out on the field.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
oh also - i'd say with the recruitment of kingston and foley, both sydney uni boys, and with the recent turnaround since the kings game, hill is an absolute lock to remain on next year.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think we'll see much of Vuna next year, or at least I hope we don't. We've got enough attacking depth across the field now that we won't need to rely on him. And I'm sick of seeing defensive liabilities out on the field.

his attack is too strong to leave him out. his defense was massively improved initially, but fell off the last couple games.

i think he'll remain the starting winger alongside kingston going forward.

i also think english is a natural move to 12 for us.

very excited with this squad.

i would also like to see us play pre-season games in asia pacific region rather than the usual UK tour we've done in the past. play against tonga, samoa, fiji, ITM teams or japanese clubs.
save some $ and keep it more local.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Nah, it isn't. He doesn't offer anything that we don't get with Situati. I'd take Vuna over Mitchell, because they're equally bad on defence. Not sure why you think English to 12 is a natural move either - he played 13 at Uni didn't he? Would make more sense playing JOC (James O'Connor) there or shifting Inman in and letting Kingston or English play at 13. As for the forwards

Lahiff
?
Weeks
Pyle
Neville/Jones
Jones/Saffy
Fainga'a
Higgers

?
PAE
Smith
Timani
Saffy/Neville

That is good enough to gain at least parity with all but the very best teams. Plus some serious impact off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.