• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Think they will be bailed out, dropped from the competition, or will the owners need to insert capital?
My understanding is they'll have to be bailed out in the short term, looking for new financial backing already but no one is keen. It's very, very bad news.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
The ARU won't let them go under, but it'll be interesting to see whether the other SANZAR unions lend a hand. The NZRU is flush at the moment, but you'd have to think SARU would spy an opportunity to bring the Lions back in.

Has this been looming for a while? Why the big signings?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very bad news but can the ARU continue to bail out sides. Not at all sustainable in the long term but we need to have 5 teams. If Australia is only to have 4 Super Rugby teams then the development of a complete 3rd tier competition is even more necessary. How long would it have taken for Pyle, Neville and Jones to get a shot at another side?

Papers in the west reporting Force management happy as pigs in mud and won't accept JOC (James O'Connor)'s return;)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Delve is definitely gone.
who is king? has he ever dressed for us?
Kiwi we signed last year, was injured all of last year and won't break into the side this year.
Im not sure how long Delve will last?
I like Jones at 6 will it be long before he passes Higgers?
Will Higgers play more at 8 down the track?
Neville made the team of the week, week after week at the end of last year, and Pyle is playing good rugby now.
I say keep all 3, as 2 of the 3 also make a handy 6.
I didn't think Jones had the same impact at six this week, much prefer him at lock, don't think Neville is having anywhere near the impact he had last year.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Think JOC (James O'Connor) will stay, bought inside rugby at Sydney airport yesterday and there is a really good article on him and he seems quite happy in Melbourne.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How long is the current SANZAR agreement? The ARU will have to honour the agreement to have five franchises in the competition. But, beyond that, if the good burgers of Melbourne do not want to support their team, then it should be allowed to pass gracefully into history.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
where does all this "mail" originate from? i really hope its just northern jealously/scuttlebut.
from a locals perspective the crowd numbers have been disappointing and have not increased as one would have hoped. there are'nt any freely available figures on membership numbers that i am aware of. does anyone know how many members so far this year?
presumably the start up costs been substantial, but the sponoship deals seem under no threat.
i really cant see the ARU letting go of the 2nd largest state and one of the most competitive sporting markets in australia. the pity is that really they should have come to melbourne rather than perth 8 years ago, and i am not decrying the valiant efforts the force franchise have put up to establish and further the game over in the west., but it was a complete cop out not to take on the AFL ands NRL in this state. it has allowed, in particular the NRL to grab hold of almost an entire generation of PI kids both as players and fans.
hope we can keep the roster pretty much intact after the season ends, foreigners excepted.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Swingpass,

I hate to say it, but if the situation is as dire as some people think it is, perhaps the right decision was made to go to Perth. At least they are surviving, apparently. Incidentally, the reason that the Force bid was accepted was that it was far more compelling than the Victorian bid.

Presumably the Rebels franchise was granted on the basis of some sort of expectation of success. It would be worthwhile knowing where the shortcomings are. If the problem is just that the original financial backer wants out, but all the indicators are good, then maybe the ARU should step in. However, for all the "free kicks" that the NRL have had, their franchise still loses money, and their crowd numbers are not much better than the Rebels.

The NRL franchise will survive because apparently the ratings are okay in Melbourne.

The Rebels will not survive on charity from the ARU, it is up to the rugby community in Victoria, and maybe the State Government to support them (note that the Queensland Government propped up the Reds for a while, with Queensland Rail taking the main sponsorship for a couple of the dark years).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
On a lighter note I thought JOC (James O'Connor) performed well as captain. The captaincy might be a blessing for a bloke like him, ala Michel Clarke.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
i really cant see the ARU letting go of the 2nd largest state and one of the most competitive sporting markets in australia.
They'll survive. The NSWRU and QRU had their $3m ARU loans. You'd expect the Rebels will get a bailout but the private ownership thing is looking questionable now.
the pity is that really they should have come to melbourne rather than perth 8 years ago, and i am not decrying the valiant efforts the force franchise have put up to establish and further the game over in the west., but it was a complete cop out not to take on the AFL ands NRL in this state.
Well, the News Ltd franchise ran at a loss to put NRL in Melbourne. The AFL similarly in Sydney. That's probably part of why rugby went the private path with the Rebels, but those backers may have done their dough. The Force are developing a good rugby base, but the Rebels can also do this.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You'd wanna hope the rebels are not paying blokes like Sidey, Mitchell, Henderson, Robinson, Weeks too much money. Because there are guys that can do what they do on rookie contracts.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
but it was a complete cop out not to take on the AFL ands NRL in this state. it has allowed, in particular the NRL to grab hold of almost an entire generation of PI kids both as players and fans

A couple of points. Firstly, are you seriously suggesting that the ARU should "take on" the AFL in its traditional heartland. Oh. I checked, yes you are. Mate, wake up to yourself, the AFL could buy and sell the Rebels out of petty cash, and not even notice it. There is absolutely no way that we should do anything other than be deeply respectful to them, and hope that some of their fans might be interested in having a look at our game.

As for our Polynesian and Melanesian cousins, I hate to break it to you, but their grandfathers prefer rugby, the kids all prefer league. And why wouldn't they? They love to run with the ball, and are not at all interested in the tight stuff.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
IIRC the ARU did not want to award the licence to this consortium? They wanted one of the other consortiums.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The ARU were awarded the 5th license because of the greater potential revenue from TV.

There were originally 3 bids: Mitchell's, Victorian Rebels and Belgravia Leisure (Melbourne Victory).

The ARU wanted the Victorian Rebels one, however the VRU didn't.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nothing in today's papers, so maybe this is not as bad as it was said to be.

As the oldest rugby supporter on this forum I have seen the game go through some dark days, but the loss of the Rebels so early in their life would be up there, or down there, with the worst of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.