• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Nothing in today's papers, so maybe this is not as bad as it was said to be.

As the oldest rugby supporter on this forum I have seen the game go through some dark days, but the loss of the Rebels so early in their life would be up there, or down there, with the worst of it.
It's all being held pretty close to the chest I think. I've been sworn to secrecy, but I trust the person I got the main info from - and I've heard from a couple of others that there's trouble brewing. It'll come out sooner or later. Just have to remember that rugby journalism is non-existent down here, and no one up north is going to care enough to send someone down to do some digging. They won't fold, but things will get pretty grim I'd say.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
As Gestalt said, live in the moment - no point in worrying now about something that may happen in a few months times and that is totally out of your control.
I suspect that if the Rebels start to win a few matches and play well, many friends will emerge from the woods - everyone loves a winner.
The ARU helped the Reds, and they will help the Rebels if needed.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Geez this stuff is annoying. Rubbish, rumor mongering with no basis of fact. Have heard Bill Pulver say publicly twice in the last couple of weeks that the Rebels are hear to stay.
If in fact the ARU are going to financially assist the Rebels then why the hell shouldn't they.
This team was started with no assistance from the then ARU. Compare this to the approach of both AFL and Soccer to their expansion teams.
Support your team, be confident of their future because it is 100 per cent secure and don't be concerned about baseless rumors.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
To say there isn't financial issues at the club, would be lying. It's just to what extent exactly.

As you mentioned blues recovery we do get reduced support from the ARU.

Maybe a slice of that Lions Tour revenue will find its way here, in a public or private manner.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Without wanting to come across all Growden, I'm getting pretty solid mail that the Rebels are in big financial trouble and will be needing an ARU bailout before to long. Apparently things will come to a head around June.

I would be fairly surprised if it were true.

MR have a very stable 5 year sponsorship agreement with RaboDirect and plenty of ancillary deals. Combined with an owner worth a few hundred million and there's theoretically little risk of the players showing up to find the rooms locked, and what they left in the dressing rooms for sale on the internet.

Your issue would come if Harold Mitchell were to pull support. The Rebels would have used his pockets as a guarantee for a fair bit of their start-up costs, and if that goes, so too does any security they might have had.

They did spend a lot on start-up costs, and are spending big in the football department. They know they have to succeed to get a foothold in Melbourne, so they're going all-out to make it happen. It's either that or go the Melbourne Heart route, which is to spend nothing, break even and die a slow death.

In any case of a bailout, the ARU would have to take ownership of the franchise. The private model will have failed, and I can't see a Super Rugby competition without Melbourne in it, at least until the new deal.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
To say there isn't financial issues at the club, would be lying. It's just to what extent exactly.

There's a difference between spending big and financial issues, though.

It's common knowledge they're in the red, but this isn't a bad thing until they have no way out of it.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

You started this rumor mongering nonsense on this site. Do you understand the potential damage you cause by spreading this crap. Right now can tell you other Super teams (Reds) are using these unfounded rumors spread by ill informed people like you as a reason to encourage players not to sign with the Rebels for next year and beyond.
If you are a supporter of the club , think before you press send when you are talking crap, otherwise take your support elsewhere.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm not referring to the financial issues. You called into my status as a "real supporter". That's what I'm referring to.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fantastic,then as a real passionate supporter I can tell you , you have nothing to be concerned about. The people who started this club and the new ARU are determined that the Rebels will be a flag ship of Australian Rugby .

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You started this rumor mongering nonsense on this site. Do you understand the potential damage you cause by spreading this crap. Right now I can tell you other Super teams (Reds) are using these unfounded rumors spread by ill informed people like you as a reason to encourage players not to sign with the Rebels for next year and beyond.
If you are a supporter of the club , think before you press send when you are talking crap, otherwise take your support elsewhere.
Take it easy. Everyone on here supports the club. Call it an unfounded rumour if you want, but others initially dismissive made some enquiries and are now saying it looks like there's a problem. If true then it needs to be turned around quickly. Far better to take this on board, albeit with a grain of salt. I'd like to hear the Rebels make a statement.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
What statement would you like . Nonsense spread by I'll informed people is untrue. How about we are actually focussing on beating the Reds on Friday and playing a solid 80 minutes of Rugby each week . Love this bit about enquiries . I got one for you , ask the Reds if there is any truth that they have welched on paying third party payments due last year to a couple of their Wallabies that are now looking elsewhere for 2013.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I

You started this rumor mongering nonsense on this site. Do you understand the potential damage you cause by spreading this crap. Right now can tell you other Super teams (Reds) are using these unfounded rumors spread by ill informed people like you as a reason to encourage players not to sign with the Rebels for next year and beyond.
What the fuck? Simmer down you clown. If the Reds are able to convince people to do things based on message boards like this then good luck to them, and I worry about the intellect of the players and their managers. Of course it's a rumour, I trust the person who I got it from though. I've heard it from a couple of places as well which makes me think it might be for real. Maybe they're all wrong, maybe they aren't. I've not once said the Rebels are likely to collapse as an organisation, or that they're going to be thrown out of the Soup. I've just said there's apparently financial trouble.

You're right though, I'm probably not a supporter of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.