• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
are there even any 7's available short of looking overseas? Is there a young guy in the squad who could step up?

With the use of young, &, who could step up - Jordy Reid, Kotoni Ale would / could fit that bill.
This thread has also mentioned inside backs - Maili Hingano.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It has been asked before but, does anyone know whether Jono Jenkins has been considered beyond this forum?

He now has Hooper and McCutcheon in front of him at the Tah's, you would think he and his manager would be the ones knocking down the door at the Rebels. He would really add balance to a Reb's backrow

Maybe he is genuinely ambitious to play for his home state?

I'd sure like to see him here, apparently Alcock is off contract though. He's rumoured to be going to the Force, but it's all unconfirmed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Maybe he is genuinely ambitious to play for his home state?

I'd sure like to see him here, apparently Alcock is off contract though. He's rumoured to be going to the Force, but it's all unconfirmed.
He's not off contract, with Hooper coming i believe he or Foley asked the question

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm sad to see Alcock leave the Tahs. I really liked his style of play. He might not be quite of the calibre of players like Pocock and Hooper but it was rare that his opposing 7 got on top of him.

He'd be a great option for the Rebels or Force.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm sad to see Alcock leave the Tahs. I really liked his style of play. He might not be quite of the calibre of players like Pocock and Hooper but it was rare that his opposing 7 got on top of him.

He'd be a great option for the Rebels or Force.

Don't get too dismayed yet, it's all speculation at this point.

I've always thought he's more of an 8 but I agree he'd tick all the boxes for the Rebs or Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Hooper arriving and Elsom and Mumm leaving, McCutcheon does make quite a lot of sense for the Waratahs because he covers all three backrow positions to a reasonable degree.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
They are certainly behaving like the "Victorian" Rebels but they haven't branded themselves as such. Surely a quick survey would have told a well resourced and sucsessful communications firm like Mitchell's that there was little brand value in the "Melbourne" Rebels. Anyway, they've given the brand value since then and I doubt the name will ever change.

Part of it is carrying over the brand from the ARC, which had been used by the VRU since that competition's closure as a moniker for a lot of state teams.

The way I see it, it's the same reason why the Western Force are not the Western Australian Force. It simply doesn't sound as good.

Remember, it was 'Melbourne' awarded the licence by SANZAR, not 'Victoria', and not the VRU. Also, as JOCC says, 'Melbourne' is the state's brand, and HM is smart enough to know he can piggyback off something like that for free.

I reckon Melbourne Rebels is a better name than Victoria/n Rebels, and magnitudes better than just Rebels, which will make their ventures into Tasmania/SA/South-East Asia interesting at some point, no doubt.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the venture into SE Asia is just pre-season games against the saders - not attempting to play actual games there. I don't think being named the Melbourne Rebels will inhibit them from going there. in all likelihood they've picked up some sponsorship money to go there similar to how Carlton was sponsored by Malaysia and did a pre-season there. being named Melbourne won't impede their ability to sell the brand anymore than it impedes any other sports team from marketing itself outside of their home location. they've got the young big name stars to make a splash in singapore (if anyone really cares about rugby there?) and doing the pre-season matches agains the crusaders laden all blacks will only help. they won't be looking to do anything more than pre-season games there.
ditto SA and Tas - best case scenario is a pre-season game in one of those states once per year. tasmania incredibly unlikely in my book to see any action for awhile.
agree re melbourne brande - melbourne is a successful and known brand on its own. this is a piggy back. Victoria has no wider brand....only the northern territory really does. great ocean road is the great ocean road, mornington peninsula is mornington peninsula/melbourne.
the only state or territories that really have their own standout brand are Tassie and NT. even qld is comprised of seperate Brisbane, gold Coast, Sunshine Coast etc brands.

reds and tahs were established so long ago when it really was an actual provincial competition. its not a provincial competition anymore, maybe still in NZ and a certain extent in SA, but the game is professional now, players move provinces and the teams only play in one city.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone here know how many members the Rebels had last year? Do we know what their goal is this year?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Does anyone here know how many members the Rebels had last year? Do we know what their goal is this year?
Around 9000, I think. Goal will be to break 10k.

Another factor in the name would be that it is the norm, at least in Victoria, for teams to be named for the city/suburb rather than the state. This tradition stems largely from VFL/AFL, but is now present in almost every other professional sport.

A-League: Melbourne Victory, Melbourne Heart
ABL: Melbourne Aces
AFL: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda
Basketball: Melbourne Tigers, Bulleen Boomers, Dandenong Rangers
Cricket: Melbourne Stars, Melbourne Renegades
Netball: Melbourne Vixens
NRL: Melbourne Storm

Really, the only professional club to use the state moniker are the Bushrangers in the Shield and ODI Cup, and the Vic Spirit, the ladies' representative cricket team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Part of it is carrying over the brand from the ARC, which had been used by the VRU since that competition's closure as a moniker for a lot of state teams.

I agree with everything else you said in this post but what's above. Melbourne's local rep teams have always been the Axemen till they were renamed the Rebel Rising recently.

A-League: Melbourne Victory, Melbourne Heart
ABL: Melbourne Aces
AFL: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda
Basketball: Melbourne Tigers, Bulleen Boomers, Dandenong Rangers
Cricket: Melbourne Stars, Melbourne Renegades
Netball: Melbourne Vixens

None of these are provincial leagues. The one the Bushrangers competes in is, as is Super rugby, but I suppose that is becoming more arguable and less fact.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I agree with everything else you said in this post but what's above. Melbourne's local rep teams have always been the Axemen till they were renamed the Rebel Rising recently.

The senior A team remained the Axemen, but a lot of the junior teams took the Rebels moniker, I believe.

If you check out photos of the Melbourne bid launch at a still-being-built AAMI Park, you'll see John Brumby with a few kids from the (colts I think) state team. Their jersey had the old Melbourne Rebels logo on it.

011195-premier-john-brumby-at-launch-of-melbourne-super-15-team.jpg

None of these are provincial leagues. The one the Bushrangers competes in is, as is Super rugby, but I suppose that is becoming more arguable and less fact.

Provincial as in state vs state? Or provincial as in international? The netball is both. The basketball and baseball both only have one team representing the state.

Either way, I reckon the main reason the Melbourne Rebels was used is simply that it sounds better.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The senior A team remained the Axemen, but a lot of the junior teams took the Rebels moniker, I believe.

If you check out photos of the Melbourne bid launch at a still-being-built AAMI Park, you'll see John Brumby with a few kids from the (colts I think) state team. Their jersey had the old Melbourne Rebels logo on it.

These photos were post Rebels announcement. I'm pretty sure the Rebels brand was only adopted for Rep teams post Super rugby announcement.

Provincial as in state vs state? Or provincial as in international? The netball is both. The basketball and baseball both only have one team representing the state.

Provincial can be state versus state, or simply recognised area versus recognised area (i.e Auckland V North Harbour). For example ACT & Southern NSW is a province, and NSW is a separate province.

Basketball has numerous teams in NSW and Qld and has even had more than 1 team in Melbourne and Sydney at certain points, it's certainly not a state league and not a provincial structure. As for baseball and netball, they are both looking to adopt models of numerous teams per city/state once they have the finances for expansion so I doubt they consider themselves "provinces" either,

The only professional provincial leagues in Australia that I can think of are Super Rugby and State Cricket.

Either way, I reckon the main reason the Melbourne Rebels was used is simply that it sounds better.

Fair enough, it's a decent opion but I maintain we could have been the "Rabodirect Rebels" in the same way teh Waratahs are officially and "HSBC Waratahs".

kronic

John Solomon (38)
They are called the RaboDirect Rebels at every opportunity.

Would be nice one day to not have that. Happy to have RaboDirect on board etc. just not fond of the whoring in front of our name. Same goes for the Wobbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.