• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
No they only signed 1 year deals last year they our out of contract at the end of this year.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Not right they are signed sealed delivered by the Reds . Just not announcing it because they think they can negotiate a top up position with the ARU. One of the stupid anomalies of the contracting system Aust Rugby works under.
Hugh Pyle in the same boat at the Rebels, has committed but doesn't want the ARU to know because he thinks he can earn a top up contract.
Very misguided.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Blues, how could the rebels owe the ARU money? Mitchell's & other shareholders cash aside, The ARU funded the Rebels with direct grants and loans. They got the loans because the ARU didn't want to give them full clip of the Tv rights. Or am I wrong? As I recall that's why the preferred tenders pulled out.
You are wrong the Rebels get exactly the same distribution payment as the other 4 teams, no difference whatsoever.
Can't betray my source re what the ARU owe the Rebels for but it goes back a couple of years and the Rebels are staging a case to the new , improved ARU administration.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
O'Connor suggests he may re-sign with Rebels

Rebels star playmaker James O'Connor could extend his contract

Article Published: Tuesday 2 April 2013

Wallabies and Rebels star playmaker James O'Connor has given his team a boost by suggesting that he will re-sign with the Super Rugby franchise.

O'Connor who's contract with the Rebels comes up for renewal later this year says that he does not see a reason to leave the Melbourne club. The playmaker has also backed his coach Damien Hill to lead the team out of their current dip.
The Rebels have lost their last five matches and were hammered 64-7 by the Sharks in Durban and then last weekend they lost 34-16 to the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein. The tour to South Africa also saw Wallaby duo Kurtley Beale and Cooper Vuna sent home for an after hours punch up. Beale has since stood down from playing rugby while Vuna was given a one match suspension which he has served and is available for selection this weekend.

As the Rebels are struggling to win matches despite a string of internationals in the line up coach Hill's future is in doubt as his contract comes up for renewal later this season as well. Rebels Chief executive Steve Boland has added pressure on Hill's situation by saying that they will make a decision on the coaching position before the end of the season.

Hill however maintains that the club has a bright future and says that they are on the right track.

"This will kick on to be a very good club," Hill said. "There are a lot of young players in this team coming through. The more adversity they go through and come out on the other side, the better the team will be. In any organisation the culture has got to come first. We are working very hard on it to get it right. And 95 per cent of the time we do get it right. Unfortunately, the five per cent of those times really has a big impact on the club and it does effect performance."

O'Connor has been linked to the Brumbies in Canberra but the twenty-two-year-old says that he knows nothing about it. "I've loved my time in Melbourne and at the moment I don't see any reason for leaving this place," O'Connor said. "There's a good group of guys. We're very tight. I've got a lot of friends here and I'm enjoying the organisation."

O'Connor added that the team's disastrous season so far should not reflect badly on coach Hill. "I've got 100 per cent confidence in Damien Hill," O'Connor told AAP. All of the structures he's had this year have been spot on. Our game plan has been right there. It's been up to the playing group, and we haven't performed."

The Rebels play the Force this weekend and the match will be the first time that O'Connor will face his former club of four years in Perth.

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=38447

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
All good to talk in hindsight but the Rebels needed to spend money on star power in the initial years to attract interest in the franchise from the general public. .

I'm not sure this was the smartest decision, to be honest. While their signing was great to get sponsors behind the club, most of your average unwashed down here wouldn't know James or Kurtley that well.

Melbourne loves a winner, though, and the Rebels really needed more results on the board now.

The two biggest non-AFL clubs down here are Victory and Storm. The common link? They both translated the honeymoon-period goodwill into results.

I think the Rebels have missed that chance.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Davidson couldn't tackle a subway sandwich and would struggle breaking the line at a kindergarten tuck shop. Back to Sydney Uni I'm afraid. Where no doubt you will be joined by your coach and a few others from there as well. We'll keep Inman, but the rest can go home.

You want a winger? Check this kid out. Alipate Ratini. He's on a one year contract playing league with the Sharks and wasting his time running around in the NSW cup. This is the pace we need out wide. Played 7's and 15's for Fiji.

Ratini scored a ripping try for the Sharks in the NSW Cup on the weekend. He was 20 metres out from the try line with about a millimetre of space between him and the touchline, he blew past his opposite winger and then was too quick for the full back to score in the corner.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the players may be supporting damien hill (at least in public) but the CEO seems to have another viewpoint,

so what about declan kidney for coach ?

what do you think KevinO

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the only use an Irish Melbourne Rebels fan would see in Declan Kidney coming to Melbourne in 2014 would be to be used as fertiliser at AAMI Park.

D

daz

While their signing was great to get sponsors behind the club, most of your average unwashed down here wouldn't know James or Kurtley that well.

Sorry, can't resist adding to this.
A new organic food/health shop opened up in the shopping plaza near my house in Melbourne. As I was walking to (insert mega-retail shop here) I passed the organic shop as they were setting up a new display.

It was for a vitamin/weight gain/diet drink or something along those lines, and the marketing included a life-sized cardboard cutout of David Pocock.

I mentioned to the bloke in the store that it was good to see a "real" footballer on display instead of the normal AFL blokes, and the owner asked me to tell him who this cardboard dude was, because he had "no bloody clue".

When I mentioned he was the captain of our national rugby side, a future Wallaby legend and arguably a top 10 player in the world today, the shop owner said "ah, plays for the Storm, does he?"

I walked away. That is how much the rugby word is spreading.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm not sure this was the smartest decision, to be honest. While their signing was great to get sponsors behind the club, most of your average unwashed down here wouldn't know James or Kurtley that well.

Melbourne loves a winner, though, and the Rebels really needed more results on the board now.

The two biggest non-AFL clubs down here are Victory and Storm. The common link? They both translated the honeymoon-period goodwill into results.

I think the Rebels have missed that chance.
Storm are the reigning premiers and barely attract a crowd better than our own. Everyone claims to be a Storm fan, support the Storm etc. how many actually walk through the turnstiles?

The two marketable faces for the Storm are first and foremost Billy Slater and Cameron Smith. These guys made their names at the club essentially. You can see Pyle, Jones etc. doing the same. Hopefully they get Wallaby honors soon enough.

Football/Soccer has professional league in summer, so it's not a fare comparison.

And let's be honest, we are up against an AFL juggernaut.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
the players may be supporting damien hill (at least in public) but the CEO seems to have another viewpoint,

so what about declan kidney for coach ?

what do you think KevinO
No thanks, nned someone who sparks creative rugby not bores his fans to death. Was a great coach a few years ago but has not developed into anything more. All the potential he had is gone, time for him to become a director of rugby for someone like Russia

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Storm are the reigning premiers and barely attract a crowd better than our own. Everyone claims to be a Storm fan, support the Storm etc. how many actually walk through the turnstiles?

Last game, 17,000. Not every self-professed 'fan' will attend, but it follows that the more people 'say' they're a Storm fan, the more people take the next step and go to games.

I'd argue that Rebels attendances are actually quite impressive, given their results and subsequent lack of cut-through in the market.

The two marketable faces for the Storm are first and foremost Billy Slater and Cameron Smith. These guys made their names at the club essentially. You can see Pyle, Jones etc. doing the same. Hopefully they get Wallaby honors soon enough.

Slater and Smith are marketable because A) they're good and B) people know they're good. The Rebels as a team need to improve so that these guys can get the proper spotlight. Fair or not, they won't become Wallabies by being the bright spark in a mercy rule loss.

Football/Soccer has professional league in summer, so it's not a fare comparison.

That's irrelevant. In this case, compare Melbourne Victory to Melbourne Heart. One is a two-time premier, two-time champion, and averages 18,000 to home games. The other sucks out loud, and averages 5,000. Whilst it may not matter to you or I, your unwashed don't want to be associated with a losing team.

And let's be honest, we are up against an AFL juggernaut.

If we keep using this as a crutch, we'll never grow. People can support more than one code, we just need to give them something to get excited about.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Slater and Smith are marketable because A) they're good and B) people know they're good. The Rebels as a team need to improve so that these guys can get the proper spotlight.
Their exposure is combination of various factors, State of Origin for one (Free To Air TV) plus the former News Ltd association with the code.

Fair or not, they won't become Wallabies by being the bright spark in a mercy rule loss.
Didn't stop Pocock or Sharpe.

That's irrelevant. In this case, compare Melbourne Victory to Melbourne Heart. One is a two-time premier, two-time champion, and averages 18,000 to home games. The other sucks out loud, and averages 5,000. Whilst it may not matter to you or I, your unwashed don't want to be associated with a losing team.
Heart suffer from an identity crisis, more than anything. They played finals last season.

If we keep using this as a crutch, we'll never grow. People can support more than one code, we just need to give them something to get excited about.
Just stating the obvious.

As KevinO has touched on, the stupid all Friday fixtures are a main reason. Give us some bloody variety.

Friday night fixtures in the AFL suffer from a similar issue, fans can't be arsed coming in from the suburbs or the country on a Friday night.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Tim Lane would have been a great choice for coach but too late.......he is off to France at the end of June according to the SMH

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Personally I'd be jumping on the blower to Scott Johnson. Plenty of international and top tier rugby success on his CV. And who in their right mind would want to spend the rest of their days freezing their arse off in Scotland coaching a side that at best will only ever come second. Keep the incumbent assistants (Muggleton, Gray, Cockbain) and grab Todd Louden as attack coach and you have a very serious coaching collective.

I like the idea of Tim Lane. But he's a bit of a nice bloke IMO. Johnson brings out the mongrel in players. This I like. This we need.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry, can't resist adding to this.
A new organic food/health shop opened up in the shopping plaza near my house in Melbourne. As I was walking to (insert mega-retail shop here) I passed the organic shop as they were setting up a new display.

It was for a vitamin/weight gain/diet drink or something along those lines, and the marketing included a life-sized cardboard cutout of David Pocock.

I mentioned to the bloke in the store that it was good to see a "real" footballer on display instead of the normal AFL blokes, and the owner asked me to tell him who this cardboard dude was, because he had "no bloody clue".

When I mentioned he was the captain of our national rugby side, a future Wallaby legend and arguably a top 10 player in the world today, the shop owner said "ah, plays for the Storm, does he?"

I walked away. That is how much the rugby word is spreading.

Most Mexicans don't know that there are differences between rugby and mungo.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Every body knows the name Billy Slater but as shown in a "Beau knows best" segment, nobody knows what he looks like.

There's a difference between having your name drilled into the people of Melbourne through radio and TV soundbites and actually being a recognised face.

Status
Not open for further replies.