• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Forget backs, the Rebels desperately need a front row.

Ryan and Kepu already contracted for the Tahs, hard to see Robinson playing for anyone else in Australia. They should go after Tilse and Fitzpatrick if the Tahs let them go.

If Fitzpatrick can get to a point where he is injury free, then he would be a really good pick up for someone like the Rebels. However, I'm not sold on Tilse. He's never really shown anything that makes you think he'd be a sustained presence at Super Rugby level.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
lahiff (sp?) coming to us. could be a quality pick up. PAE looking good and we have weekes. we need two others.
we are largely sorted in the 2nd row, ditto the back row. we still have timmy davo coming back from injury who at the very least is a man w ho plays with heart.
we need wings and a 12 and possibly a fullback if we lose JOC (James O'Connor). though i too struggle to see where he would go. the brumbies would make a big mistake taking him. i think his best shot is QLD with morahan potentially leaving - though they have lance as well at FB.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Davidson couldn't tackle a subway sandwich and would struggle breaking the line at a kindergarten tuck shop. Back to Sydney Uni I'm afraid. Where no doubt you will be joined by your coach and a few others from there as well. We'll keep Inman, but the rest can go home.

You want a winger? Check this kid out. Alipate Ratini. He's on a one year contract playing league with the Sharks and wasting his time running around in the NSW cup. This is the pace we need out wide. Played 7's and 15's for Fiji.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They should go after Fitzpatrick if the Tahs let them go.

I think anyone would be crazy offering Fitzpatrick a contract for next year (same goes for McDuling at the Reds). You'd be better off letting them start the year in club rugby and if they are going well, sign them up halfway through the year when you have a season ending injury and can replace someone in your squad.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
someone tweet that to freier.
lachie turner is still a must get in my opinion. ditto whoever available out of morahan and lance.

and thank god phipps is going. he is horrid the past two games.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You want a winger? Check this kid out. Alipate Ratini. He's on a one year contract playing league with the Sharks and wasting his time running around in the NSW cup. This is the pace we need out wide. Played 7's and 15's for Fiji.
Rebels should snap this guy up with one of their marquee spots.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
With limited recruitment we can have the following lineup next year
PAE, Sexton, Lahiff
Pyle Neville
Jones, reid, higgers
Burgess
JOC (James O'Connor)
Fijian flyer or lachie turner
Mitchell
Inman
Vuna
Morahan.

Could even try morahan at 12 and put turner at 15.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we
firstly Lahiff not a done deal (manu was actually signed and in melbourne ffs and now he is starring for the chiefs, something about chickens and eggs )
jones, pyle, JOC (James O'Connor), all heve to re-sign, not a certainty for any let alone all
turner, morohan, ratini who says any or all want to come to melbourne ?

and whats to say vuna won't walk depending on what happens when (and BIG IF) beale gets back !

as supporters i think we need to maintain a sense of reality.

the facts are, the rebels are struggling to keep their shit together, certainly on the field and if the rumours be believed off it as well.
as someone above posted, getting beaten 34 - 16 is only a positive step compared with the previous weeks walloping. the cold hard facts are the rebels have won a single game this year and were a bit lucky to do so.
the efforts against the reds, brumbies and tahs were better than 2011 & 2012, but lets face it we couldn't beat a disorganised tahs outfit, learning a new game plan; or the reds in melbourne, without several of their star players, with a short turn around after a hard game.

in the short term i expect a lot of pain and disappointment (advice from force fans appreciated). longterm i think we can be competitive and if we can recruit well, will be.

i also think talk of the coach's demise is premature. who will they replace him with that is any more experienced or talented ?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Does anyone really think that the Rebels would be in the top half of the ladder/table/log after a few years?

Seriously?
i didn't but i thought that the team would show some cohesion in attack, resolve in defence and start winning at home on a regular basis.
there have been significant improvements this year (except the sharks game), but as a group it is still the same errors that cost field position, bomb tries and give easy turnovers and scores to the opposition. thats what is frustrating the fans down here

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is one of Tessman or Charles off contract next year? They're both solid players so unless one's leaving why would the Force want to recruit another Hooker?

Shame if we lose either of them, but I'd rather the Reds cut ties with Davies than Morahan!
Charles is signed for another year. Teesman is on a short term contract i would say Whittiker is on the block.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
And just to add a little fuel to the argument, if you look at what's happened in the last week or two off the field you can bet your bottom dollar there's big changes coming. Major shareholder Harold mitchell has gifted his shares to the VRU. If you recall, one of the major reasons that O'niel went the private equity route was that after the financial debacle of the ARC he had no confidence in the VRU to run so much as a chook raffle. Right now, Pulver is also discussions with other shareholders about their ownership.

The Rebels are facing another loss year on top of the three they've already had and are currently into the ARU for about 4 mill in loans.

If all this is accurate, then I would reckon the ARU are about to step in with their own administration to stop the bleeding. Part of that will no doubt be a new coach. A new coach with Super experience and who has the respect of players and who can attract new ones. If you rule Link out for the moment, then enter Laurie Fisher. A fave amongst all at head office.

After that expect new owners as well. That is, once the ARU write of any loans & losses, give the Rebels equal funding, deliver player concessions, marketing aid, grass roots development support and a few other things. Otherwise you wouldn't touch it with a 40ft barge pole.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And just to add a little fuel to the argument, if you look at what's happened in the last week or two off the field you can bet your bottom dollar there's big changes coming. Major shareholder Harold mitchell has gifted his shares to the VRU. If you recall, one of the major reasons that O'niel went the private equity route was that after the financial debacle of the ARC he had no confidence in the VRU to run so much as a chook raffle. Right now, Pulver is also discussions with other shareholders about their ownership.

The Rebels are facing another loss year on top of the three they've already had and are currently into the ARU for about 4 mill in loans.

If all this is accurate, then I would reckon the ARU are about to step in with their own administration to stop the bleeding. Part of that will no doubt be a new coach. A new coach with Super experience and who has the respect of players and who can attract new ones. If you rule Link out for the moment, then enter Laurie Fisher. A fave amongst all at head office.

After that expect new owners as well. That is, once the ARU write of any loans & losses, give the Rebels equal funding, deliver player concessions, marketing aid, grass roots development support and a few other things. Otherwise you wouldn't touch it with a 40ft barge pole.

So this is a reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.