• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
cant see why laurie fisher would want to go to the rebels as head coach, seems very happy where he is.

link is after an international job.

the overseas blokes are also chasing the scotland and ireland gigs

mooney is coaching in japan, so is eddie, todd louden not experienced enough

fuck i've just thought nucifora is available:eek:

god help us

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
todd louden not experienced enough
"Not experienced enough", eh? Let's have a look at how much experience Todd Louden has:

In 2004 as Director of Rugby at Sydney University Louden implemented their EDS (Elite Development Squad) program which is still operating and is the foundation for their status as No. 1 Club in Australia. In that year Uni won the Sydney Club Championship with all nine grades contesting the finals. In the years since the implementation of the EDS system Sydney Uni has been producing more professional rugby players than any other club in the world.

In the 2004-2005 season he was Head Coach of Meiji University which participates in Japan’s 120 Collegiate Rugby Program. Louden took them from 68th to the top eight.

In 2006 he returned to Sydney as Head Coach of Randwick. Their 1st XV advanced from 9th to Minor Premiers. They were narrowly beaten in the Grand Final by Sydney Uni who were forced to make more than 300 tackles during the match. Louden was named Sydney Premiership Coach of the Year.

The next season he moved to South Africa as Attack Coach with Heineke Meyer’s Blue Bulls who went from 5th to winning the Super 14. They were the first South African team to win a Super title, with their success widely attributed to their new attacking style.

In 2008 he was appointed Attack Coach with the NSW Waratahs under Ewen McKenzie. The ‘Tahs went from 13th in 2007 to 2nd before being beaten in the Grand Final.

In the 2008-2009 season he went back to Japan as Head Coach of the Ricoh Black Rams, who had been relegated to Second Division status. Under Louden’s guidance Ricoh were undefeated in the Top East League and therefore qualified to play the winners of the other two second level leagues to determine who was to be promoted to the Top League. By winning both games Ricoh not only returned to Top League but also qualified for the All-Japan Rugby Football Championships, playing against Top League teams as well as the top two university teams. Ricoh were eventually beaten at the semi-final stage of the All-Japan Championships. In the following two seasons while Louden was there Ricoh finished 9th and 8th in the Top League.

When he came back to Sydney Uni as Head Coach in 2011 he implemented an expanded version of the EDS by establishing an additional Wider Training Group (WTG), so well over a hundred Grade and Colts players were involved in a professional style training regime. There was also a much greater focus on skills acquisition. Although Uni 1sts were beaten in the Grand Final that year the Club still won 4 out of the 7 grades contested. Last year Uni won 5 out of 7 grades with only 4th Grade and 3rd Colts missing out.

So the “not experienced enough” Louden’s record as an assistant coach in Super Rugby reads: 2007 Bulls 5th to 1st; and 2008 Waratahs 13th to 2nd.

And his success in improving the performance of every Club with which he has been associated means that he may be exactly what is needed in Victoria where the challenge is not just to improve the standing of the Rebels but also to integrate the professional franchise with Melbourne club rugby.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
There was an article in the Australian last week that pretty much laid out everything I said about Mitchell, the VRU and Fisher. The bit about the ARU taking control is purely conjecture by me. Kind of adds up tho.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I'm very cautious of the ARU stepping in. Especially from my personal dealings with them, you can dig that up on here.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
sorry bruce, my ignorance.

apart from the very impressive sydney uni record i wasn't aware of his super rugby credentials at either the bulls or the tahs.
you're quite right he may just be the man to step in.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The Rebels are facing another loss year on top of the three they've already had and are currently into the ARU for about 4 mill in loans.

Wouldn't be to the ARU - would defeat the point of private enterprise.

They'd be regular private loans guaranteed by Harold Mitchell. If HM were to remove himself from the club in all capacity, then they would have to be underwritten by the ARU (or someone), or else the club would be insolvent.

Keep in mind that this loss is not unexpected. They were always going to spend a lot of money establishing the franchise. They've just spent it in the wrong places, seemingly.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
All good to talk in hindsight but the Rebels needed to spend money on star power in the initial years to attract interest in the franchise from the general public. The market they are in is just to tight for them to be patient with player development. In order to consider the bigger picture they had to deal with the smaller one first.

Coaching seems to be the problem. They just haven't got the potential out of this side as its strength on paper should dictate.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
"Not experienced enough", eh?

In the 2004-2005 season he was Head Coach of Meiji University which participates in Japan’s 120 Collegiate Rugby Program. Louden took them from 68th to the top

In the 2008-2009 season he went back to Japan as Head Coach of the Ricoh Black Rams, who had been relegated to Second Division status. Under Louden’s guidance Ricoh were undefeated in the Top East League and therefore qualified to play the winners of the other two second level leagues to determine who was to be promoted to the Top League. By winning both games Ricoh not only returned to Top League but also qualified for the All-Japan Rugby Football Championships, playing against Top League teams as well as the top two university teams. Ricoh were eventually beaten at the semi-final stage of the All-Japan Championships. In the following two seasons while Louden was there Ricoh finished 9th and 8th in the Top League.
As impressive as Japanese college rugby and 2nd tier Japanese league rugby are...... Adding this and the Sydney uni roles are not that impressive considering we are comparing him to hill.

Super 25 stats are impressive. But Japanese college rugby just dilutes an impressive résumé.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The comment re the Rebels owing the ARU 4 million is completely incorrect . They do not owe the ARU a red cent , quite the reverse applies actually

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To me it's bleedingly obvious we need a 12.

I mean sure, we could use an extra players in plenty of positions but we don't have any good 12s. Mitchell's work ethic is inspiring and Sidey is a starting quality 12.

Could we throw a fistful of cash at Morgan Turinui? He's got 2 more good years in him and might be happy finishing his career in Aus. He's also the experience our back line fiercely needs.

Failing that, find someone! Anyone!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
As impressive as Japanese college rugby and 2nd tier Japanese league rugby are.. Adding this and the Sydney uni roles are not that impressive considering we are comparing him to hill.

Super 25 stats are impressive. But Japanese college rugby just dilutes an impressive résumé.
Sir Arthur, I want to make very clear that I am not comparing Todd Louden to Damien Hill. As a result of my close personal association with them at Sydney Uni they are both personal friends of mine. I was responding to the assertion that Louden was "not experienced enough" to coach the Rebels.

Given the task of building rugby in a non-rugby state, I believe that Louden's record with the Sydney Uni Club is very relevant. I would also make the point that he was not just involved in "Japanese college rugby and 2nd tier Japanese league rugby". He took Ricoh back into Top League rugby in Japan and kept them there in a solid position for the next two years. Anybody with any familiarity with Japanese rugby knows that it is extremely difficult to push past the entrenched top club sides there. Japanese society is very respectful of hierarchy and so are their rugby referees.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
How about Gareth Widdop from the Storm as a 10 or 12.
Played Rugby as a youngen , comes through a great system at the Storm, probably has to move on due to Cap constraints,wants to stay in Melbourne.
Sammy , anyone at Rebels reading this !

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I wasn't suggesting he wasn't experienced enough nor that you were picking your favourite mate. Just that Japanese college rugby isn't the reference most would look at and that his super rugby resume speaks for itself.
With the Sydney uni references I didn't think that they necessarily differentiate him from hill so why swap one for the other.
I see what u were saying now and noted - that suggestions he isn't experienced are silly. Not that u were suggesting he specifically replace hill.
His bulls experience is top rate. I suppose I am a cockeyed rebel optimist and hope we can pinch la creme de la creme

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
Blues, how could the rebels owe the ARU money? Mitchell's & other shareholders cash aside, The ARU funded the Rebels with direct grants and loans. They got the loans because the ARU didn't want to give them full clip of the Tv rights. Or am I wrong? As I recall that's why the preferred tenders pulled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.