• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) has burnt too many bridges to go anywhere else.

He can't go the Force again, they wouldn't have him back and he probably wouldn't want to go.
He can't go to the Tahs, unless Folau doesn't resign and KB (Kurtley Beale) doesn't sign with them.
He can't go Brumbies, because a) they're too culture obsessed and b) are stacked in all of his positions.
MAYBE, he could go Reds if Richard Graham likes him and vice versa but they seem like they'll probably plee the "culture" card too (he's not one of their own like QC (Quade Cooper), even if he is technically from there).

Basically, if he wants to play Wobs he has to stay with the Rebs and I think he'll see him contract matched but not raised.

the brumbies could fit him on their bench to cover 10 - 15 :D

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think the Rebels are fast running out of patience with Beale, O'Connor and Hill.
There are models that work which start with a good front office , then the right coach , then the playing group.
The Rebels appear to have a reasonable front office based on the work they are doing in the community and their member responses to this week crisis.
They clearly have the wrong coach , amazes me how he got appointed in the first place . Wonder what process was followed here or did they just take Rods word for it.
Signing Bale and OConnor has turned out to be a major mistake. I wonder did anyone at the club realize just how difficult these blokes
would be. I think both are very selfish individuals, who for different reasons don't understand what being in a team really means.
Goodbye to both I hope and follow the Brumbies model, top class coach and blokes that want to contribute to a team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Rebels are fast running out of patience with Beale, O'Connor and Hill.
There are models that work which start with a good front office , then the right coach , then the playing group.
The Rebels appear to have a reasonable front office based on the work they are doing in the community and their member responses to this week crisis.
They clearly have the wrong coach , amazes me how he got appointed in the first place . Wonder what process was followed here or did they just take Rods word for it.
Signing Bale and OConnor has turned out to be a major mistake. I wonder did anyone at the club realize just how difficult these blokes
would be. I think both are very selfish individuals, who for different reasons don't understand what being in a team really means.
Goodbye to both I hope and follow the Brumbies model, top class coach and blokes that want to contribute to a team.

This is a very good post.

I would however argue that if the front office was doing a good job there would have been a transparent system which led to the appointment of the coach. In my experience when the front office is poor and the base systems which they institute are poor everything follows that path regardless of how good or bad the staff below are.

I think the sporadic results the Rebels have achieved show that they have the makings of a good team. The glaring inconsistency and the occasional capitulation and off field issues tell me that as with the Tahs for so long the front office has poor systems.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the Hill is the big problem at the moment. Get a strong coach in, a gameplan becomes apparent, the players start enjoying themselves a bit more, they get more confident and actually start getting some results. The team starts winning, crowds will start growing and money will start flowing in. Think some solid pros need to come in next year. Guys like the Fainga'as and Jono Lance would make a big difference. Utterly competent rugby players who will train the house down and give 100% in training day in, day out, season after season.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Force realised how hard it was dealing with JOC (James O'Connor) hence they withdrew their offer after he had agreed to stay but put all these conditions for them to meet. A fact often overlooked/forgotten by most

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just remember how quickly things can turn around. Remember where the Brumbies were two years ago.
This organization has been up against it from day one, remember Waldron was the first CEO.
The ARU up until JON left was doing everything possible to help them fail.
I have met a number of people involved with the club and by and large they are good people motivated solely by growing the game against the odds in Victoria.
Just need a new coach and rid of the selfish players and things will turn, I have faith.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What is Martin Johnson doing these days? He seemed a bit close to the English players but his rugby philosophy was sound.

In searching for a decent coach at the Rebels, would he fit the bill?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels are in some serious shit....they definitely have the cattle to be better but have some serious culture issues.

They are going to lose delve at the end of the year who is a man amongst boys pretty much. I also believe that Henderson another old head is retiring at the end of the season.

They need to bring in a coach who won't take shit and isn't afraid to drop people like JOC (James O'Connor).

Who by the way is on track to end up being a serious nobody if he can't pull some form together, maybe exile in the wilderness would do him some good

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Why would they want them to fail? o_O
Because that's just the kind of bloke JON is. He didn't want the Mitchells group to get the licence in the first place, the other bidders pulled out and the ARU didnt have the money to support the start up.
What JON wanted was control via using someone else's money.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Just remember how quickly things can turn around. Remember where the Brumbies were two years ago.
This organization has been up against it from day one, remember Waldron was the first CEO.
The ARU up until JON left was doing everything possible to help them fail.
I have met a number of people involved with the club and by and large they are good people motivated solely by growing the game against the odds in Victoria.
Just need a new coach and rid of the selfish players and things will turn, I have faith.
Agree entirely. So who's available to coach? Someone like McKenize won't - but who could be reasonably chased? What I'd really like to see next off-season is for Gordon Tietjens to get involved and absolutely flog the players. The Rebels are clearly less fit than other teams this year, and it's costing them them badly.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Their fitness certainly looks ordinary.
And don't be so sure re McKenzie. Unless he gets the Wallabies gig , I reckon a return to his home town might just appeal to him

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What? Why would Link ditch the Reds to go to the Rebels? The only reason he's ditching the Reds is to go the higher level (international rugby). There's a couple jobs open there: Australia, Ireland, Scotland.

Also his family is in Sydney so 'home town Melbourne' will not appeal to him.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why would they want them to fail? o_O
the ARU favoured a bid by a sydney based consortium, didn't want VRU (read Gary Gray) anywhere near the franchise. also i'm led to believe there was a clause in the other eventually failed bid about relocation to western sydney if melbourne failed. in the end the other bid failed because the money men couldn't agree on terms. it was only after the franchise was awarded, that the embargo on contracting australian players till after the end of S14 2010 was applied. this seriously hampered the start up playing roster and is one of the sources of ongoing ills at the rebs. unwanted and young guys and older blokes at the end of their careers, some very capable players but an unbalanced roster. in hindsight the big buys haven't produced on the field consistently enough nor have they managed to attract the right sort of off field publicity to increase interest and membership or sponsorship JOC (James O'Connor) is still without an official individual sponsor

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thinking about coaches who won't take any crap from players and who are as hard as nails.

Taking Link out of contention as he will take the Wallabies job, I'd love to see big Jim Williams get a chance as a first coach. He has had a few successful assistant roles and would not be the kind of coach to let the players take control.

Even working in a pub where the munster team where drinking while he was coaching and they had just had a big win and he made sure the players knew they where always representing the club and kept one of the most ignorant players I have ever come accross in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.