• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Does anyone know what sort of support networks are out in place by the franchises and by the Rebels in particular? Beale's alcohol issues have been known for years now. Do they employ psychs and counsellors? Do they assist players with the basics of life in the way that Dumbledore described? If nothing else, it would seem to be sensible protection of a very expensive asset to do so.

As an aside, I really agree with Ruggo. Kurtley needs to focus on dealing with his drinking and anger problems. He might play sport another 10 years but he'll have to live with his demons for the rest of his life.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My understanding is that all teams have a RUPA officer as part of the organisation who's role is to educate players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, is there a rough chance you're gonna try to deck me next time we have a couple of schooners at the Rugby Club, mate? Umm, thought not.
Can't see the analogy, myself. ;)

I actually was only thinking about the alcohol issue. I somehow forgot about the punch when I was writing that comment. For the record I have never hit anyone in my life. You're very much safe.

When you are recovering from surgery why are you drinking? Most people I know and including myself who have had different types of operations are on medications that recommend not consuming alcohol as the effects are greater for the first few weeks.

Isn't that precisely why you don't follow these recommendations? The warning on the packet may as well say HAVING A COUPLE OF DRINKS WITH THESE PAINKILLERS COULD LEAD TO A REALLY GOOD TIME.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He's an interesting one isn't he? I'd like to see him have a go, if only because you know he'd get the players having a serious crack. Possibly the combination of him with some hard bastard forwards coach. And a skills coach who isn't Nathan Grey.

I've never seen him run a session but he certainly does and says the right things off of the field.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I was listening to the radio this morning apparently, cooper vuna was drinking as well and it was the first time he has has alcohol for 6 months.

And apparently he didnt just walk away he retaliated with great force, he hit beale hard enough to put him on the deck.

This was on radio TAB this morning they were interviewing some journalist in south africa

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was listening to the radio this morning apparently, cooper vuna was drinking as well and it was the first time he has has alcohol for 6 months.

And apparently he didnt just walk away he retaliated with great force, he hit beale hard enough to put him on the deck.

This was on radio TAB this morning they were interviewing some journalist in south africa

Why would Saffer journos know more than Aussie journos? It happened on the bus.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Matt Burke and Brad Fittler: http://www.sportsfan.com.au/rebels-culture-woes-run-deep-burke/tabid/91/newsid/104031/default.aspx

Facepalm3.jpg

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
If what he is alleging is true, I fully support Cooper's actions. He obviously had little faith that existing channels would provide a noticeable change. He blew the whistle and forced the club into action. If that action ends Beale's union career, then so be it. A man who assaults his teammates has no place as a Rebel or a Wallaby.

He will be punished for failing to follow team guidelines for conflict resolution, and Beale's mates might give him the cold shoulder for a while, but perhaps the crime is worth the time.

Of course, if what he is alleging is false, then it's a whole other story.
What about all of the training paddock punch ups that happen? They are a fortnightly occurrence at most clubs.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why would Saffer journos know more than Aussie journos? It happened on the bus.

All we know is it started on the bus. My speculation as to likely events is on arriving to the hotel Delve has asked Beale to put his shirt on to go back to his room, Beale exits the bus without said shirt, Delve asks again and Vuna backs him up, handbags get thrown. Other sources (Burke) are saying the punches were on the bus. Either way I think it is quite likely staff could have been witness to the event and blabbed to some saffer journos.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This is a whole of society issue.

I am frankly sick to death of people being excused for behavioural issues by people medicalising it. 'Oh the poor dear he is ill, he is addicted to X '. It is an excuse and until the offender is forced to confront the fact that they have acted like a imbecile the behaviour will continue. No amount of treatment will change that. All these excuses do the perpetrator no good in the long run. I wonder what would have been the outcome if somebody had pulled various youths aside early in the piece and said, "that's it, these are the consequences of your behaviour on this occasion, no excuses, if there is a next time no amount of talent will save you, you will be gone."

This is laughable. My experience is that SS clubs pour copious amounts of beer down their Colts throat as a form of bonding, whatever that means. Some of these kids aren't even old enough to drink. Is it any wonder some of them go off the rails.

The two clubs in my area had shocked parents fronting the management with their outrage over this excessive drinking issue.

While a drinking culture may be synonymous with grassroots rugby, alcohol is shunned by most elite athletes as it slows the recovery process. The real surprise for me is that the Rebels were out drinking straight after the game. Do they consider themselves elite athletes? Their paychecks would indicate that they are.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

Always more than two sides to a good story, particularly when the boys go out on the grog.

If this was ASADA, it would declared the Darkest Day in Rebel History before the facts have been made public, or the investigation into the facts had been completed. There are some who have "done an ASADA" about this incident.

Having had our initial outbursts of moral outrage, we should perhaps corral our hobby horses now and back off for a while while the Rebels (and ARU) sort it out.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
All we know is it started on the bus. My speculation as to likely events is on arriving to the hotel Delve has asked Beale to put his shirt on to go back to his room, Beale exits the bus without said shirt, Delve asks again and Vuna backs him up, handbags get thrown. Other sources (Burke) are saying the punches were on the bus. Either way I think it is quite likely staff could have been witness to the event and blabbed to some saffer journos.

True, I suppose I was more alluding to the fact that Aussie journos would be better connected to those in the Rebels' inner sanctum.

Well their skills are broadly pretty average, I'd have no problem with someone else having a go.

But so is their defence and that's got John Muggleton on the case, widely considered the best D coach ever and certainly the best Aussie D coach ever.

I'm not saying your wrong but I'm saying it's up in the air.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love the irony in Fittler talking about how young guys need good leaders and role models.

Anyone remember this one?

How Brad Fittler Drank His Way To The Sin Bin

Sydney Morning Herald
Tuesday April 27, 1999
By ROY MASTERS
Rugby league's month of shame continued yesterday with the revelation that Australian captain Brad Fittler was discovered drunk to the point of unconsciousness outside Glebe police station.
The incident happened on Saturday, April 17, after a Sydney City club harbour cruise where drinking was permitted. The next day Fittler was chosen as captain for the Anzac Test against New Zealand, though selectors did not know he had been forced to sleep it off for three hours in the police station.
Fittler was criticised last week when he and other senior players allowed Test player Craig Gower to get so drunk at a "team bonding session" that he exposed himself to a female tourist.
Apart from the Gower incident, four Manly players were fined $5,000 each last week after a drunken brawl at Kings Cross.
Meanwhile, Peter Gow, chief executive of the Sharks, has been stood down while the club investigates his part in a brawl at the club on Sunday night.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Mungos advising rugby players on "how to behave" is about as valid as Jack the Ripper advising on advanced surgical techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.