• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets, seriously that behaviour is in acceptable. Bad day or not, you don't need a beer to take your shirt off and be an idiot.
Not the first time either
I'm not saying what Beale did was ok. If what he is alleged to have done is true then I wouldn't have him in any team I'm involved in. I just believe that just because a guy plays rugby and is on a tour he should be condemned to spend their time in hotel bars just because they didn't preform on the field.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Sadly many careers will be hurt by this unless the Rebels can somehow convert it into a catalyst.

The thing that concerns me most is the spoilt brat sense of entitlement that has, it would seem, grown in Australian pro rugby youth.

It would seem us Gen Xers of the world have completely been sucker punched by political correctness and hug the world spockian dribble. Maybe it really is our fault and all they need is more hugs. Right.

I frankly don't care who or why, it needs to stop, dead. Perhaps the three amigos should all be sent off to mexican sweatshops.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sadly many careers will be hurt by this unless the Rebels can somehow convert it into a catalyst.

The thing that concerns me most is the spoilt brat sense of entitlement that has, it would seem, grown in Australian pro rugby youth.

It would seem us Gen Xers of the world have completely been sucker punched by political correctness and hug the world spockian dribble. Maybe it really is our fault and all they need is more hugs. Right.

I frankly don't care who or why, it needs to stop, dead. Perhaps the three amigos should all be sent off to mexican sweatshops.
They're the first generation of rugby players who have come up through professional systems their whole lives. Rugby is what they know. They're given stacks of money, people throwing themselves at them and way more time on their hands than they know what to do with. Go look at AFL, NFL, soccer, league, basketball etc. There are similar, and significantly worse, incidents in all of these codes. It isn't a Gen X, Gen Y, thing. It's that these are young guys who have more money and fame than they know what to do with. Players get coached to talk to the media these days FFS.

All we can really take out of this is that Beale seems to be an angry drunk, and that's something he should have a serious look at addressing. I don't think his Rebels career will survive this, but I hope he's able to stare his demons down and get back on the path to Wallaby greatness.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
They're the first generation of rugby players who have come up through professional systems their whole lives. Rugby is what they know. They're given stacks of money, people throwing themselves at them and way more time on their hands than they know what to do with.

That is a crap excuse, one the game has been professional since 96, that's 17 years give or take some months.

This is not the first time with Beale either.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not saying what Beale did was ok. If what he is alleged to have done is true then I wouldn't have him in any team I'm involved in. I just believe that just because a guy plays rugby and is on a tour he should be condemned to spend their time in hotel bars just because they didn't preform on the field.

Funnily enough Jets, my housemate as both blokes who play competitive codes of football, discussed how generally, it's actually these times more so than the wins which you feel like getting on the sauce.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rugby is second in this issue to me. If a young bloke is having alcohol problems, that is what needs to be dealt with. Beale needs to face the music and get professional help to get on top of this. Rugby needs to be the last thing on his mind.

Never good to hear of somebody pissing away their opportunities because of substance abuse.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
That is a crap excuse, one the game has been professional since 96, that's 17 years give or take some months.

This is not the first time with Beale either.
Complete lack of comprehension. If you think professionalism today is the same as it was in 96 you are kidding yourself. These are the first generation of players hitting the Wallabies where all they have ever known is rugby. Where they've been exposed to elite coaching, training, nutrition advice etc. from the get go. Combine that with social media, the 24 hour news cycle, and it's a perfect storm. Like I said, this isn't isolated to the Wallabies. There are misbehaving sports stars across the globe and there always have been.

I know it's a repeat offense with Beale, I'm not defending him. If the allegations are true, then he should have his contract ripped up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This is a whole of society issue.

I am frankly sick to death of people being excused for behavioural issues by people medicalising it. 'Oh the poor dear he is ill, he is addicted to X '. It is an excuse and until the offender is forced to confront the fact that they have acted like a imbecile the behaviour will continue. No amount of treatment will change that. All these excuses do the perpetrator no good in the long run. I wonder what would have been the outcome if somebody had pulled various youths aside early in the piece and said, "that's it, these are the consequences of your behaviour on this occasion, no excuses, if there is a next time no amount of talent will save you, you will be gone."

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Complete lack of comprehension. If you think professionalism today is the same as it was in 96 you are kidding yourself.

I know it's a repeat offense with Beale, I'm not defending him. If the allegations are true, then he should have his contract ripped up.

Pro is Pro 1996, or 2026, you don't have to be an elite athlete to use social media. There are possibly business men on this forum who earn an income in line with some of these players, does it give them the excuse.

Respect plays a big part, doesn't appear he has any, without respect????

Dumbledore, is it the player, is it who the player reports to, or purely respect.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Pro is Pro 1996, or 2026, you don't have to be an elite athlete to use social media. There are possibly business men on this forum who earn an income in line with some of these players, does it give them the excuse.

Respect plays a big part, doesn't appear he has any, without respect????

Dumbledore, is it the player, is it who the player reports to, or purely respect.
Pro in 96 is entirely different to pro now. These are, a lot of the time, not intelligent guys. They're freakish athletes who have been able to coast through life on the back of that. A mate of mine works with players at Richmond (the AFL club,) teaching them how to live by themselves basically. Teaching them how to shop, cook, clean, pay bills etc. They literally have no idea how to do any of this because up to that point they've lived in a complete bubble. I can't imagine that it's any different in any sporting code anywhere in the world. There will obviously be exceptions, but I'm just trying to paint a broad picture. They're very young, they're absolutely loaded, and up until this point in their lives they haven't had to even consider what accountability means.

Beale punching Delve is unacceptable. That's where the line is drawn for me. I personally think he's just a really bad drunk. Just days before this incident he was tweeting away happily about hanging out with Vuna and JOC (James O'Connor). It sounds like he's got an issue with the grog, and that's where club officials should have stepped in. I don't think he's an alcoholic, just an angry drunk. Still, regardless of that, you can't go punching your captain. He's not beyond redemption by any means, but he's going to have to face up to some hard truths if he wants to succeed.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The problem with these professionals is they have everything given to them and don't understand how privileged they are. They have no sense of responsibility at all, look at JOCs twitter. He forgot to pack his boots going to Africa to play rugby ffs.

Do the clubs need to hire personal Nanny's for these guys???

I know plenty of guys who played different sports at elite level and you would never behave as stupid as these boys have in the last 2 years.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
With Beale already having other boozy encounters, I'm starting to think he has a grog problem. It's something rebels and ARU should look into.

Starting to think? Lets call a spade a bloody shovel. All the indications are that he has a massive alcohol problem and has had for some time. It doesn't need to be looked into, it needs to be dealt with.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
The problem with these professionals is they have everything given to them and don't understand how privileged they are. They have no sense of responsibility at all, look at JOCs twitter. He forgot to pack his boots going to Africa to play rugby ffs.

Do the clubs need to hire personal Nanny's for these guys???

I know plenty of guys who played different sports at elite level and you would never behave as stupid as these boys have in the last 2 years.

Mate, you have no idea how accurate your assessment is. I attended a school that has traditionally been a breeding ground for RL talent in Sydney's South West. I was for a time part of that system and knew many blokes who were and these guys were given everything and had plenty overlooked in a school environment that prided itself on a high level of discipline.

Hell, when I was in Year 10 I got into a fight in the school library, I didn't start it but I was intent on finishing it. The deputy headmaster walked right past us, saw me effectively belting this bloke (it wasn't my proudest moment at school) but because I was considered a strong prospect for first grade the next year all I got was a talking to and the other bloke was suspended. He did start it but he was losing badly. That frightened me, there were no consequences to my actions something that I was always taught to have existed. I had always held myself to the standards of the school and the code of conduct all my mate's were subject to (I didn't hang out with the other RL boy's as I was actually interested in school).

Needless to say the next season I opted out of the League trials.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Mate, you have no idea how accurate your assessment is. I attended a school that has traditionally been a breeding ground for RL talent in Sydney's South West. I was for a time part of that system and knew many blokes who were and these guys were given everything and had plenty overlooked in a school environment that prided itself on a high level of discipline.

Hell, when I was in Year 10 I got into a fight in the school library, I didn't start it but I was intent on finishing it. The deputy headmaster walked right past us, saw me effectively belting this bloke (it wasn't my proudest moment at school) but because I was considered a strong prospect for first grade the next year all I got was a talking to and the other bloke was suspended. He did start it but he was losing badly. That frightened me, there were no consequences to my actions something that I was always taught to have existed. I had always held myself to the standards of the school and the code of conduct all my mate's were subject to (I didn't hang out with the other RL boy's as I was actually interested in school).

Needless to say the next season I opted out of the League trials.

Well you were a smart teenager - when similar things happened with me at school I just kept on keeping on and faced no consequences due to my position in the firsts for a number of years.

It was only when I left school and entered the real world (there were no professional contracts to be had back then) that I found out about standards and responsibility. Until that time I thought I was untouchable but had to change my ways pretty quickly.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well you were a smart teenager - when similar things happened with me at school I just kept on keeping on and faced no consequences due to my position in the firsts for a number of years.

It was only when I left school and entered the real world (there were no professional contracts to be had back then) that I found out about standards and responsibility. Until that time I thought I was untouchable but had to change my ways pretty quickly.

I've never been someone to want to physically assault anyone in general and I would rather be 300 yards from any conflict that could evolve into a fight. The only time I imposed myself on others was on the field. The fact that I was effectively allowed to get away with something like that just felt wrong.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another good article by Paul Cully.........

Players under delusion code can't thrive without them

That Test jersey is not owned. It's on loan. If you're lucky, you get it for a few years; blessed if it's longer than that.
The Kurtley Beales will come and go. If he wants to, a player of his talent could be a Wallaby for the next five years, a World XV player, and the man around which a developing side such as the Waratahs could build a team that could really push for the Super Rugby title. But like the decisions that keep getting him in strife, it is entirely up to him.
Twitter @whiskeycully

Status
Not open for further replies.