• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
barring a total turnaround in the next game, i suspect hill is gone.

Maybe, but who would replace him? We have a revolving door coaching structure in Aus and the only team to break the system and recruit outside it recent has been the Rebels by getting Hill and the Brumbies by getting friend.

Maybe Muggo could head the team? I don't think it's his style though.

Maybe Johnson could crack it, but I think he's set to run Scotland for a while.

Phil Mooney maybe? The Reds and Otago both saw huge sucsess the year after he left which he probably contributed to at least a little bit and he's got Wests in Brissy heading in a great direction. He'd probably be cheap too.

Laurie Fisher would be a great choice but he's doing exactly what he wants in Canberra. He's living where he wants and he's doing the Lion's share of the hands on coaching while Jake White plays CEO (obviously it's working).

Ewen Mckenzie? I doubt it, he wants to head up not sideways (or arguably down). I think I've seen him mention that he'd love to move back home to Melb eventually but it's not the right time.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
At the end of the day, they're professional players, and the media scrutiny/spotlight comes with the job, regardless of whether you're playing for a club in a non-traditional heartland.

Management should of put their foot down here and told them to stay in. If Hill is openly questioning whether they're taking pride in the jersey, it should be a no-brainer.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The more I think about it the more I think Mooney would be a good call, because he has:
  • Fresh ideas and a fresh perspective.
  • A good knowledge of players in a grass routes part of the country that isn't as mined for talent as the SS.
  • He's been there, done that. Not a new experience.
  • He wouldn't be particularly costly.
  • He is proven to back young up-and-coming talent.
Particularly if the whole VRU ownership thing comes to the fore we'll have to start pinching pennies, that means getting creative and probably backing a few locals players more because they're cheap than anything.

The bloke has turned Wests from shambled to title contenders in 2 preseasons. I think he might be the goods.

Linked to the HPU role at the ARU, replacing Nucifora.

Fair enough. Does he automatically get the u20s too?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Disclaimer: I am part of the Todd Louden fan base, and have championed him previously on Gaggerland threads.

What others have said about his approach to player development across the board, and not just the first grade team, would be of use to Victoria where they are trying to grow the brand in AFL foreign territory.

If Sydney Uni can't run out a squad #1-22 of professional athletes, then they would go very close. Todd has coached professional athletes previously, so the challenges of player management at this level would not be a surprise to him.

If the powers to be decide that Hill is to be replaced, and I do not know enough abouth the situation to recommend that this should or should not happen, then Todd would be an adequate replacement.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Stupidest comment so far Groucho, you obviously have never read the ethos of Hansen/Henry/Smith for All Blacks, that is still used, it is and I quote "Better people make better players".
I am stunned that team was in nightclub after the drubbing the team were at a night club obviously sanctioned by management, as they had team bus. I worry that Beale will get a slap on wrist , and be allowed to keep doing the same damage he is to Aus rugby. Because everyone involved in League,AFL, and soccer will be saying a quiet thanks Kurtley.
Maybe this will help
http://www.therugbysite.com/blog_posts/213-rugby-means-more-to-south-africa-by-wayne-smith

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Disclaimer: I am part of the Todd Louden fan base, and have championed him previously on Gaggerland threads.

What others have said about his approach to player development across the board, and not just the first grade team, would be of use to Victoria where they are trying to grow the brand in AFL foreign territory.

If Sydney Uni can't run out a squad #1-22 of professional athletes, then they would go very close. Todd has coached professional athletes previously, so the challenges of player management at this level would not be a surprise to him.

If the powers to be decide that Hill is to be replaced, and I do not know enough abouth the situation to recommend that this should or should not happen, then Todd would be an adequate replacement.

"An adequate replacement"? I would think that of the available people he would be at the very top of the list. Adequate just does not do him justice. You'd have to find a successful international-level coach to do better.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Beale already having other boozy encounters, I'm starting to think he has a grog problem. It's something rebels and ARU should look into.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair to Kurtley, I certainly know that myself and many others on the forum would be considered as having a problem with alcohol if we were professional athletes.

Instead we're just well hydrated and often vocal fans.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Phil Mooney maybe? The Reds and Otago both saw huge sucsess the year after he left which he probably contributed to at least a little bit and he's got Wests in Brissy heading in a great direction. He'd probably be cheap too.
He's an interesting one isn't he? I'd like to see him have a go, if only because you know he'd get the players having a serious crack. Possibly the combination of him with some hard bastard forwards coach. And a skills coach who isn't Nathan Grey.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Trying to find the post mooney,
But that said, I have much respect for him and what he did before ewin enter as head coach for the reds and mooney in premier rugby.
If there is any chance for him to have a crack with the rebels it will be a big gain. He had a gig at the brisbane broncos after the reds. And they were more then impressed. Especially how he thought those muppets how to pass correctly and catch them.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Just got an email re: The Beale incident titled
"IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO MEMBERS FROM REBELS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, STEVEN BOLAND"
it is the press release from yesterday but with an additional note from Steve B
it is good of the club to get onto its members quickly. Hopefully an outcome is just as quick and we can move on.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just got an email re: The Beale incident titled
"IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO MEMBERS FROM REBELS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, STEVEN BOLAND"
it is the press release from yesterday but with an additional note from Steve B
it is good of the club to get onto its members quickly. Hopefully an outcome is just as quick and we can move on.
We have been monitoring the feedback via Facebook and other forms of social media and I want to assure you that we understand your thoughts and feelings.

We will communicate outcomes of our discussions to you in the next few days.

I like how they are watching social media and other forums meaning this website.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Daz, I reckon all of that makes sense apart form the social bonding bit.

Despite the fact that the trip out would have been pre-planned, I would expect the leaders within the group to have spoken to the guys in the dressing room and called off a public social event in favour of going back to the hotel for a private social event. If not the leaders within the team, I'm surprised the management wouldn't have intervened to cancel the bar trip.

The fact is that someone will always report / tweet they saw the team out and even if they all went out and behaved impeccably after such a loss it was never going to be a good look if they were at a bar enjoying themselves - the sponsors and fans pay the bills and how they might view a night out after that loss should have been kept in mind.

Do it back in the hotel and no-one (externally) would say boo about it. Of course some of the more social players may not have liked the idea of not going out to enjoy the Durban nightlife!
While I understand what you are saying Scott, part of the rugby life is touring the world and experiencing different cultures. This includes sampling the nightlife. While they didn't execute on the rugby field on Saturday they also need to get away from a rugby focused environment for a while and I'm sure this is part of the thinking that the senior players had. It has backfired in this case, by all reports the action of one player. It would be disappointing for rugby to use the international travel as a lure for players only to keep them in hotel bars and transit lounges, the most soulless places on earth.

As for Vuna being sent home I have to say I agree. Team issues shouldn't be aired in public the way that he did it. It was a selfish action in my eyes and something, I'm sure, that goes against the values the team is trying to establish.

Reactions: daz
Status
Not open for further replies.