• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Forward pack still lacks a world class front row ,a lock and another N06 or 7. I'd try for Haskell and have him at 6, Saffy and Lipman sharing 7 and Delve at 8.I'd look for Sitiveni Mafi for the lock position in 2013 or 2014, he and Pyle plus Luke Jones would be great if all continue their development. The backrow would also be helped by getting either Hooper or Fainga'a from the Brumbies as Lipman will only have another 1 or 2 seasons, probably the same with Delve who you'd think if his good form continues will be able to be offered a new contract in Europe.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
maybe because NSW hasnt produced a good 5/8 in nearly 15 years

Brumbies play out of Canberra which is very much is NSW. Larkam of course played for the Brumbies.

This isn't a crack at you of course but I've always found it funny that the Tahs represent NSW and the Brumbies represent Southern NSW and ACT (which are of course parts of NSW).

Maybe it's just me.

T

TOCC

TWF are reporting that the Rebels are in talks with Pal Alo-Emile from the Force...

He would be a fantastic signing, his not starting material yet, but could see a few games against some of the lesser teams in 2012

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd try for Haskell and have him at 6.

Absolutely, he'd probably come cheap as chips as well seeing as he is he'd be doing it for the love of the game and it would only be a short stint. I don't know if I'd start him but with the amount of Brits backing the Rebels it makes sense.

I'd look for Sitiveni Mafi for the lock position in 2013 or 2014.

By 2013 we will have very few spots for internetional players left and Mafi is capped. Technically he is not Aussie in the eyes of the ARU.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Unfortunately Mafi played for Tonga due to NWRUs belief that he didn't play tight enough. He has been carving it up for Leicester. I still thought teams were allowed a couple of ringins even if they had been capped elsewhere. he would seem an obvious choice as his family is from Sth Western Sydney.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ah - so Cadeyrn Neville is in the frame for the Rebels. As I mentioned in some thread: this ex-elite rower has been playing rugby just a couple of years and is a natural of the Eales type - (though don't take that the wrong way - I said "type.")

Good to see that prop Eddie A is still being considered also. He probably won't set the world on fire but I have been spruiking him as hard head player that Oz teams are all too short of.

And Metuisela is still of interest to the Force stable. I was saying that he would have been a good get for the Tahs to back up Palu with Mowen gone and McCaffrey rumoured to be heading for Perth.

Poor old Tim Lane will be pulling his hair out at these three fellows not being available for Manly - plus Ripia - for the short Force and Rebels tours, but that's what you get when you recruit high priced players for club rugby. It's a shame.

T

tranquility

How old is Eddy A? and what is his story Lee?

Cadeyn sounds like the prototype lock physique, lets just hope he has the application to fulfill the potential.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
How old is Eddy A? and what is his story Lee?

Cadeyn sounds like the prototype lock physique, lets just hope he has the application to fulfill the potential.

Eddie's a hard head club prop who can play on both sides of club scrums. He's a good club scrummager and bloody hard tackler, especially defending his goal line. He can run with the ball too and knows what a try is all about. If he's stopped he just pumps his legs and keeps going.

He let himself down a few years ago when he let his weight blow out to 140 kgs with a poor diet and you could see it's effect in trying to get around the park. Phil Blake the coach at that time took him in hand and now he's a svelte 120 kgs and looking good.

I thought that Super rugby had passed him by as he is 29 now but he is in his prime.

Cadeyrn is another story: he was an AIS rower and took time off to play a bit of league at Narraweena on the Northern Beaches in 2009. He had played league as a kid but he soon worked out that he was the wrong body shape for that code so he went to the Manly Marlins to learn the union game. He had his first start in 1st grade last year and the Brumbies had a look at him. Now it looks like the Rebels are interested too.

If he makes the grade the Rebels will have two fine young locks (with Pyle) to take them forward. Watch this space.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not sure who else is in the the team but Nigel Ah Wong who plays for Sunnybank in the backrow is currently in Melbourne training with the squad. He would be a good pick up as he plays 7 and 6 and has a huge work rate. Also quite handy with the ball in hand. I think he has been looked at by the 7's coaches too.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Why are they likely to miss 5 club games when the tour is 3 games in 8 days from the 12th to 19th of August?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The training group went to Melbourne on Monday. I guess they aren't flying them back to play club rugby?? seems odd to me.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why are they likely to miss 5 club games when the tour is 3 games in 8 days from the 12th to 19th of August?

I will take a guess: up to two weeks of training in Aus to create a bit of team work and get to know each other (plus a trial game or two before they go), arrive a few days ahead to acclimatise, recover from jet lag and get some more training in, plus a day on a plane there, and a day on a plane back, and maybe a few free days afterwards. That's perhaps three weeks plus on top of the 8 day tour, easily 5 games missed.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Firstly Ash your timeframe is spot on and cant be disputed. BUT
A couple of things. Shouldn't they already know each other? They had a pre-season together. I know they are using this to trial a few new players, but why on earth do they need to do this when the club competitions are heating up? The reason would probably be that this is also when UK clubs are doing trials before the Aviva Cup and Magners league so it makes sense to do it now. Well I understand why they need to do this and I also understand that these provinces are the players No1 income source but fuck the timing is going to suck for some Sydney Clubs.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Couldn't agree more. Seems to be a case of them not caring about players club commitments.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's a problem but the trouble is that if you want to go on a European tour between seasons you have to do it at this time of the year when the Euro teams would be having their trials.

T

tranquility

Richard Kingi....

Good or bad move to Melbourne? He is now a more versatile player, however maybe a jack of all trades player now. Has he stayed in QLD he would have served another year of his apprenticeship under the best in the business albeit he would not have seen as much game time.

Thoughts?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Couldn't agree more. Seems to be a case of them not caring about players club commitments.

Why should they care?

The Force will be doing the same thing...

The Brumbies have already begun their preseason trials, but I'm not sure if that will compete with any club rugby...

T

TOCC

Why should they care?

The Force will be doing the same thing...

The Brumbies have already begun their preseason trials, but I'm not sure if that will compete with any club rugby...

why should professional clubs care about the quality of rugby in grassroots...
oh gee, i wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.