• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow that's an odd one. Who knew he had Russian heritage.

Certainly will stand out in a team list.

T

TOCC

Once again throws a spanner into the works of Melbournes foreign player rules...
Surely the ARU could make an exemption here, Byrnes will never represent the Wallabies, so just let him play

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Once again throws a spanner into the works of Melbournes foreign player rules...
Surely the ARU could make an exemption here, Byrnes will never represent the Wallabies, so just let him play

Byrnes could qualify to play in France under 'developing country' rule as per Fijians etc?

T

TOCC

Byrnes could qualify to play in France under 'developing country' rule as per Fijians etc?

There may be a 'developing countries' rule, but this isn't what the Fijians play under, they are actually recognized as locals in France as per govt legislation... Even if France were to introduce a foreign quota to the T14, pacific islanders are still considered to be 'french'.

That's my understanding of it anyway, maybe someone else can elaborate/correct me

C

centreman

There may be a 'developing countries' rule, but this isn't what the Fijians play under, they are actually recognized as locals in France as per govt legislation... Even if France were to introduce a foreign quota to the T14, pacific islanders are still considered to be 'french'.

That's my understanding of it anyway, maybe someone else can elaborate/correct me

The European Court ruled that as Pacific Island nations and South Africa have a trade agreement with the European union they should be treated the same as all other EU countries regarding right to work and work permits. Therefore they are exempt from overseas player rules in France and the UK. The ex waratah Nemano Nedalo recently stuffed up by entering the UK on his Aussie passport having not organised a Fiji passport and Exeter his club were fined for exceeding the overseas player content. Exeter thought he was exempt as he had played 1 international for Fiji.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Adam plays for Russia with the complete blessing of the Rebels. No issue with foreign player number as the club is allowed 10 next year and currently has 6 contracted

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)

I'm not sure regarding the Russians.
But this is called the Malaja Ruling which is an extension of the Bosman Rulin (you might be familiar to this one if you follow EU soccer).
All Africans nations and Pacific Islanders are not considered as "foreigners" when they play in a French team (and some other nations in Europe).
That is why we have heaps of Saffies and Islanders playing in France. Guys like Lauaki, Tialata and co will also certainly play with their Islanders passport rather than the kiwi one.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Fair enough, but can you name another Australian lock who could make the step up?

In any case, Rebels likely dont have the money for 3m, especially if they get elsom. But if they got both of them that pack starts to look every bit as good as the backline.

If we could be sure that there was a fellow who could step up we would all be talking about him; so we have to take a punt. Assuming that Greg Peterson is going to get a Rookie Contract at the Tahs (leaving them with Douglas, Vickerman, Peterson and Mumm, plus Timani at the end of the season) there's not a lot going.

I would look seriously at 22 y.o. 202 cm and 120 kg Cadeyrn Neville, who just started playing rugby a couple of years ago after being an elite rower. He dabbled in league at Narraweena but ended up down the hill and around a few corners at Manly Oval.

He had his first start in 1st Grade last year and has made every post a winner. The Brumbies have had a look at him and he played for the Runners before the Super season. He is deft in the lineout, is very agile for a big man and can move across the park.

He is now a better player than Hugh Pyle was this time last year, or more accurately: before Pyle had a long injury early in 2010. Manly coach Tim Lane said 2 weeks ago that Neville has been a stand out in 2011.

None of this means anything except Super Rugby promise, but just as the Rebels made a punt on Pyle that paid off, so should they make one on Neville.

If the Rebels don't nab him, the Brumbies will, or maybe the Force.

Query - the 3M thing. Is this just forum conjecture or have the Rebels and 3M said anything?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As one of the inquisitors said in the Watergate investigation: "What do you know and when did you know it?"

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would look seriously at 22 y.o. 202 cm and 120 kg Cadeyrn Neville, who just started playing rugby a couple of years ago after being an elite rower. He dabbled in league at Narraweena but ended up down the hill and around a few corners at Manly Oval. He had his first start in 1st Grade last year and has made every post a winner. The Brumbies have had a look at him and he played for the Runners before the Super season. He is deft in the lineout, is very agile for a big man and can move across the park. He is now a better player than Hugh Pyle was this time last year, or more accurately: before Pyle had a long injury early in 2010. Manly coach Tim Lane said 2 weeks ago that Neville has been a stand out in 2011. None of this means anything except Super Rugby promise, but just as the Rebels made a punt on Pyle that paid off, so should they make one on Neville.

If he has been an elite rower he'll have a good engine like Mumm's got. Does Cadeyrn mean he has Welsh parents? We seem to have already lost one Manly player to Ireland, don't want to lose another to Wales.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Rebels Backline 2012

The Rebels backline for 2012 is starting to take shape, and it isn't looking too bad. I want to here other people's thoughts on what it will look like and how good it will be.

9. Nick Phipps
10. Danny Cipriani?
11. Mark Gerrard
12. James O'Connor
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Lachlan Mitchell/Cooper Vuna
15. Kurtley Beale

We can't forget about Julian Huxley, or Jimmy Hilgendorf. Is there any other major people I'm missing?

What do you think?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree with above.
Huxley progressively got worse. His option taking and defence when at 10 in the latter part of the season were shocking. I was a happier rebels fan when he was not in the squad for the last game. I think he will retire personally. Rod Mcqueen's removed as coach and the sentimentality will be gone with Hill at the helm.
I think we'll see a few changes over the coming weeks for the Rebels a few players not being resigned.
Gerrard very tough luck to be getting moved out of 15. he was a steady hand for the rebels and controlled games brilliantly when he was in the 15 jersey. I am not sure where he will fit in the squad.
Just need to pick up the defense on the wings! Vuna i'm looking at you!. Lachlan mitchell was underrated all year. had some great performances and always made a few yards past the gain line.
Peter Betham will turn into a solid little back up winger next year and I would really like to see JP Du Plessis get some time. his videos from when he was a youngster in SA show some great footwork...albeit for a school boy.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
JP is going back to Jappieland and you've forgotten Mitch Inman who will take Mortlocks spot. Look for Mortlock to go in the same direction as Rd Maqueen.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Much as I appreciate a fairytale ending, I think Huxley will struggle to make the bench in 2012. For mine, he has been struggling most of the year and hasn't looked very convincing.

I thought Huxley looked fine until they tried to play him at fly-half. Not sure if it was the bad run at 10 affecting his confidence once he was moved back into position or perhaps something else. I would think his versatility will at least have him on the bench and getting reasonable amounts of game time even though he isn't exactly a game-breaker or impact player.

Is Mortlock really going to go around again for another year? He's the captain so I guess you have him at 13 but by next year he might be a John Smit type captain. Otherwise Gerrard has looked quite good there and that allows them to play someone with more pace on the wing.

T

TOCC

Think there is a Rebels 2012 thread with this discussion going on

There pack won't be too bad, need to work on there lock situation, and with Delve and Saffy still there next year they have a pretty good back row... Yoda will be a big loss though.

Status
Not open for further replies.