• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Forgot about Inman....
I think Mortlock and Huxley are tough calls. I can see Mortlock hanging it up without a recall to the Wallabies.
Didn't realize JP was leaving. has he signed anywhere?
I thought Hux was horrid aside from his first 3 or so games. poor defense, poor hands. it had to have been confidence cause we've all seen him play better.
the worst was his cross kick attempt to vuna agains the force that went out on the full by about 5m.....shocking!

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I just dont get the constanat bagging of the Rebels pack. Their biggest problem this year was lack of penetration in the backline and the poor defence of the like of Vuna , Cipriani and Huxley , all backs. Will back the Rebels pack next year to be better than the Brumbies and maybe the Waratahs. And the backline will be probably only second behind the Reds

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
9. Nick Phipps
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Afusipa Taumoepeau
12. James O'Connor
13. Mitch Inman
14. Cooper Vuna
15. Kurtley Beale

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
9 Nick Phipps
10 Danny Cipriani
11 Cooper Vuna
12 James O'Connor
13 Mitch Inman/Mark Gerrard
14 Lachlan Mitchell
15 Kurtley Beale

Yoda will be immensely missed. Weeks is solid and will benefit from his time at the wallaby scrum camp and learning from yoda this year. big blakey keeps getting fit and he was improving as the year went on.
second row of Pyle and Campbell
Back row of Delve, Saffy and Lipman/Davidson (if lipman leaves)

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Sport
Wasps

James Haskell to return to Wasps, via Japan and Super 15

• England flanker will play at Adams Park again from 2012-13
• Three-year deal begins after season in Australia or N Zealand

Share6
reddit this

Staff and Agencies
The Observer, Sunday 3 July 2011
Article history

ENGLAND V FRANCE
James Haskell won his place in the England team during his first spell at Wasps. Photograph: Michael Mayhew/Sportsphoto/Sportsphoto Ltd./Allstar

James Haskell, the England flanker, has plotted his return to these shores from France after signing a three-year deal with Wasps, it was reported on Saturday night.

However, he will not be moving to Adams Park immediately but instead will play a season in Japan's Top League for Ricoh Black Rams following this autumn's World Cup in New Zealand.

"I have rented a flat already and have bought a bike. It's the best way to get around," said the 26-year-old who spent two seasons with Stade Français. He then plans to play a season in Super 15, following his former England team-mate Danny Cipriani into the southern hemisphere competition.

"We've always seen it from up here as an amazing event, something special. People say that the Crusaders-Sharks game at Twickenham was one of the greatest ever. I would love a season in it, I would just soak it all up," he told the Sunday Times.

Haskell did not say which team he would join. "I want to go to a competitive side that can win the title. I am not motivated by just turning up and playing."

Haskell has turned for advice to the All Black and Crusaders fly-half Dan Carter. "Dan told me to go for it and that he never regretted his time in the French league with Perpignan," Haskell said.

Wasps were reported to be delighted with securing his signature for 2012-13. The club's chief executive, Chris Thomas, said: "There is great excitement at the idea of having him back here. He is a success story of our academy and has become one of the best back-row players in the world."

The drawback in Haskell's scheme is that he will miss England's 2012 Six Nations campaign and will not be available for selection until July 2012, before the national team embark on a tour of South Africa. But he says his decision to travel was "totally a rugby decision, to better my game so that I come back to Wasps the best I can be. Steve Hayes [the owner] spoke to me and impressed me but somehow I did not feel that I had been away for quite long enough. I didn't want to walk back in just yet as if my tail was between my legs

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Sport
Danny Cipriani

Danny Cipriani eager to repay Rebels after overcoming depression

• England fly-half says he has had treatment for depression
• 'I let the Rebels down, but next year will be different'

reddit this

James Callow
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 7 July 2011 10.44 BST
Article history

Danny Cipriani
Danny Cipriani has courted controversy during his time with the Melbourne Rebels as much for his off-field behaviour as on it. Photograph: Scott Barbour/Getty Images

Danny Cipriani has promised to rebuild his career with Melbourne Rebels after undergoing treatment for depression.

The former Wasps and England fly-half, who moved to Australia at the start of last season, has been involved in a series of misdemeanours but has expressed his eagerness to improve his behaviour and see out the remainder of his contract with the Rebels, which expires at the end of next season.

"I've been misunderstood and judged unfairly by people who don't know me, but I've realised the only way to handle it is by being responsible and accepting it," Cipriani told the Age.

Cipriani admitted that he had treatment for depression last year after splitting up with his girlfriend, the model Kelly Brook, but the 23-year-old believes he has resolved those issues.

"I suffered from it last year but I'm really good now. I've not had any problems with depression this year. I've not had any treatment for alcohol issues either because I've never had a drink problem," he said.

Cipriani caused controversy in February when he helped himself to a bottle of vodka from a Melbourne nightclub and was fined one match payment by the Rebels players' standards group. "The vodka bottle incident was a silly prank," Cipriani said. "I should not have done it, but I am not a thief. The nightclub knew I wasn't deliberately stealing."

Then in May Cipriani was dropped from the Rebels squad and told that he had "lost the confidence of the club's entire playing group" after staying out late after an away match against New South Wales.

Cipriani has also had to come to terms with his love life being splashed across the Australian media and has been photographed on nights out with Lara Bingle, a model and ex-fiancee of the Australia cricket captain, Michael Clarke.

"It's not easy being linked with every woman I come across," Cipriani said. "Lara is a fantastic person and a good friend and there's nothing more to it."

"I have a right to privacy but I know my private life will always be in the news and I've come to terms with that.

He added: "I let the Rebels down at times this year, but next year will be different. I accept I've got to be more responsible off the field for the good of my team-mates. I see myself as a leader of the team on and off the field, and I don't want any more off-field headlines."

Cipriani is also hopeful of resuming his England career, but while he won his last cap in 2008 and the England manager, Martin Johnson, has ruled out a recall for as long as he remains in Australia, he has stayed in regular contact with Brian Smith, England's attack coach.

"Playing for England is my ultimate ambition. It's why I started playing rugby, and I'm never going to give up on my dream," Cipriani said.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Both of these appeared in the Guardian in the last couple of days. A backrow of Haskell, Saffy and Delve would go a long wat to improving their pack. Also i alluded to an ongoing mental health issue with Cipriani. No one seemed to care yet as the supporters of Beyond Blue would suggest that once you start suffering depression it can become all encompassing.

T

TheNextBigThing

Now we're talking.

Rebels are looking hot to trot outside of the tight five and wingers. (Pyle and Robinson the exceptions)

T

TOCC

Both of these appeared in the Guardian in the last couple of days. A backrow of Haskell, Saffy and Delve would go a long wat to improving their pack. Also i alluded to an ongoing mental health issue with Cipriani. No one seemed to care yet as the supporters of Beyond Blue would suggest that once you start suffering depression it can become all encompassing.

Still can't help but feel cynical, is it depression or a prima donna attitude..

He gets in trouble when he drinks, he lacks the discipline to stay away from alcohol or at least drink moderately..IMO that's not depression.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just dont get the constanat bagging of the Rebels pack. Their biggest problem this year was lack of penetration in the backline and the poor defence of the like of Vuna , Cipriani and Huxley , all backs. Will back the Rebels pack next year to be better than the Brumbies and maybe the Waratahs. And the backline will be probably only second behind the Reds

Eh?

The Rebels pack looks a lot weaker without Somerville...

The frontrow is full of journeyman... there's Pyle in the second row, and Saffy and Delve are pretty good... but it still looks the weakest in the Aus conference...

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
It reads like you're playing fantasy footy there Slim. Yes, Yoda was huge for the Rebels this year but Blues is correct from what I saw. It wasn't the Rebels pack that let them down throughout the year, it was that whenever they did secure the ball they did nothing with it. They had a very serviceable rolling maul, a decent pick and drive game and when cipriani was playing decently, some flair in the backs. What they lacked was any creativity in attack outside of that, which combined with some woeful tacklers (in the backs) resulted in the scorelines we saw.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One thing that may help the Rebels keep Cipriani off the drink is if they are winning. Surely part of a winning team with a quality backline would keep any player interested in the team and it's results.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Rebels appear to have all the attributes growing of being the Aus version of the Chiefs, dynamic backs and a load of forwards that will struggle to provide them the ball to win when it counts.

T

TOCC

The Rebels appear to have all the attributes growing of being the Aus version of the Chiefs, dynamic backs and a load of forwards that will struggle to provide them to win when it counts.

Same was said about QLD 2 years ago

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same was said about QLD 2 years ago

But they have a different forward pack, different coaching staff, different everythinf... hell, even different uniforms than they had 2 years ago...

The Rebels have yet to make any significant signings for their forward pack, and with the loss of Somerville their pack takes a backwards step...

The idea that they'd have a better forward pack than the Tahs (the best of the Oz teams) is pretty strange when in reality they might have the weakest of the bunch unless there's significant improvements...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The idea that they'd have a better forward pack than the Tahs (the best of the Oz teams) is pretty strange when in reality they might have the weakest of the bunch unless there's significant improvements...

Not only is it strange to label them as whole better than the Brumbies and Tahs but there's not a man in the pack that is better than his counterpart at the Tahs.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A team that play's as a team for each other is better than a team of individual's Qwerty. No point writting off teams just yet, I think the Rebels will improve significantly in 2012. That doesn't mean they are going to be better than the Tah's but at this point all teams start on 0 points, an early win could go a long way to giving this growing franchise the confidence to knock off fellow provincial sides.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd expect the first team to look something like this. Think what we're really lacking is an out-and-out fetcher at 7, surely there has to be someone running around? Wouldn't be surprised to see Kingi over Vuna or Gerrrard, although he really is ideal bench cover.

1. Blake
2. Robinson
3. Weeks
4. Campbell
5. Pyle
6. Saffy
7. Lipman
8. Delve

9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Inman
14. Gerrard
15. Beale

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Re Cipriani staying off the drink - he was pretty quick to state he isn't a big drinker, just doing stupid things. He does admit to having had to deal with depression.

I have to admit I like the guy. He's taken the heat, admitted his judgement sucked and pulled his head in. Hopefully the maturity sticks. Looking forward to him contributing to some good Rebel games next year.

Win, lose or draw, Rebels are going to offer some damn exciting rugby in 2012!

Status
Not open for further replies.