• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds V Chiefs 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If Gill keeps this form up, which I believe he will. Pocock's stint of the 2nd best Pilfer is no more. Gill does the same job just as good but by the book, where Pocock is still good but gives away to many penalties at the wrong time.

As good as Gill looks to be in the future, I don't think we should be comparing him to the best 7 in the world right now

Reactions: daz
D

daz

The "pick and go" play of the reds tonight was exceptional. Well played by the forwards and brilliantly controlled by Genia.

Gill was terrific also.

T

tranquility

If Gill keeps this form up, which I believe he will. Pocock's stint of the 2nd best Pilfer is no more. Gill does the same job just as good but by the book, where Pocock is still good but gives away to many penalties at the wrong time.

Gill is not half the player Pocock is currently. However there is no doubt in my mind that Gill will be a better pilfering player. However lets just see him if can become a shadow of the defending, running, ball playing, herculean player than Pocock has proved to be.

R

Red Rooster

Gill is not half the player Pocock is currently. However there is no doubt in my mind that Gill will be a better pilfering player. However lets just see him if can become a shadow of the defending, running, ball playing, herculean player than Pocock has proved to be.

He is already a better attacking player than Pocock thats why he already has a Comm Games Silver medal - you wait and see he has the whole package just needs time

T

tranquility

We're not going here just yet are we? For mine it's debatable whether Pocock is better than McAwe and Gill at the moment is a long long way behind. Let's see him in gold before we start shitting ourselves all over the shop about him.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
As good as Gill looks to be in the future, I don't think we should be comparing him to the best 7 in the world right now

But nonetheless Gill needs to be included in the shining new lights. I for one reckon he'll be outstanding. Pocock is very versatile. We need a six long-term.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Yep, good post. Pocock is a force of nature, and will be a once in a generation player.

Except we have three or four. :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Groucho, I'd be interested in your thoughts on who your 3 or 4 are, but I reckon The Cock, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Genia are in that category

T

TheNextBigThing

However there is no doubt in my mind that Gill will be a better pilfering player.

Until teams start to target him and actively trying to shut him down. Pocock is arguably the best player in the world. He's in the crosshairs of every coach and player as the key threat of the Force/Wallabies. In time Gill will command that kind of respect, at which point he'll struggle to impose himself as opposition teams will be ready for him. Whether he's able to overcome that challenge is what will make him either a great player or merely a great prospect.

Long, long, long, way to go.

Reactions: GC

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
But nonetheless Gill needs to be included in the shining new lights. I for one reckon he'll be outstanding. Pocock is very versatile. We need a six long-term.

Don't get me wrong, after playing with and against Liam numerous times, he is and will be brilliant for Australian rugby in the coming years. But I think we need to remember HOW GOOD David 'Freak' Pocock actually is. And as you said Pocock is one of those once in a generation players, hence why I think it might be a bit early to compare Gill to him.

T

tranquility

Until teams start to target him and actively trying to shut him down. Pocock is arguably the best player in the world. He's in the crosshairs of every coach and player as the key threat of the Force/Wallabies. In time Gill will command that kind of respect, at which point he'll struggle to impose himself as opposition teams will be ready for him. Whether he's able to overcome that challenge is what will make him either a great player or merely a great prospect.

Long, long, long, way to go.

Absolutely. But I think regardless he is more accurate at the breakdown in direct comparison, throw in age variance as well.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is already a better attacking player than Pocock thats why he already has a Comm Games Silver medal - you wait and see he has the whole package just needs time

Thank you, took time for Pocock, now its Gill turn and he is 19. Gill is a smarter rugby player than Pocock.

M

Moono75

....ummmm I don't think so.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

By that logic, so is Ed Quirk and James Stannard etc. They have a comms game silver medal too.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Beau who?

Reds really have developed a superb squad. Link has done a magnificent job getting squad members to step up with all the injuries Reds have had.

PS. And who woudn't have Richie as their starting no 7 in a winner takes all contest (incl. the car and house keys along wives, girlfriends and children) in which "our team" are playing the other planet's bastards

S

Skippy

What? Is it just me or is that a ridiculous point you've made. Maybe the 6 other blokes in the team and the subs had something to do with the success in this tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.