• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds V Chiefs 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he gets on the field and scores a try he'll also equal the records for most Super Rugby games played and most tries scored.

Doubtful he thought he'd ever get another chance at stuff like that.

T

Tank

Just had a quick look at the IRB regs (http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/regulations/04/23/28/42328_pdf.pdf)

Seems like once you've played for one country you're not eligible to play for another, regardless of residency etc (reg 8.2, guideline 4)

So you're right - he's not eligible for the Wallabies so unless there is a provision for playing a non-Wallabies eligible player in emergency circumstances he'd have to be our marquee I'd think...

Thanks Tiger - I did not know that there was no longer an opportunity to play for two countries like Tiaann Strauss (and others) did. Interesting - being lazy and not looking it up myself, that must mean that players like Vuna and Timani, if they play for Tonga at the World Cup, will have to become marquee players for Aus Super teams and also never be eligible for Wallabies. Unless there is a RWC specific exemption...

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Wow - a marquee signing that will only be eligible to play for one game all season. Still, he'll probably end up being more useful than the Tahs marquee player for the last two seasons.

I say good luck to him for his chances of equalling both records.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks Tiger - I did not know that there was no longer an opportunity to play for two countries like Tiaann Strauss (and others) did. Interesting - being lazy and not looking it up myself, that must mean that players like Vuna and Timani, if they play for Tonga at the World Cup, will have to become marquee players for Aus Super teams and also never be eligible for Wallabies. Unless there is a RWC specific exemption...

Yeah I hadn't realised the change either. Patricio Noriega was the player that came to mind for me. Looks like they changed the rule in 2000 to 'preserve the integrity of international rugby' or something like that.

In any event, hope Ralph goes well. I have to say that my concern from last weekend wasn't the outside backs though. Rather, it was the incredible pressure being put on us by the defensive line and at the breakdown. Hopefully something changes this week

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hah, the non-Contab Kiwi fans generally disliked Ralph, who they considered to be one of the slowest wingers in world rugby. He was faster than Gerrard, however. Didn't mind Ralph myself - he was more the Joe Roff type winger, with a great rugby brain than could just read the play and knew exactly where to be. Ralph's positioning and timing and hard work made up for his other deficiencies, like lack of speed, and led to him scoring a lot of tries. Being on the end of the 'Saders backline always helped, as well.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Hah, the non-Contab Kiwi fans generally disliked Ralph, who they considered to be one of the slowest wingers in world rugby. He was faster than Gerrard, however. Didn't mind Ralph myself - he was more the Joe Roff type winger, with a great rugby brain than could just read the play and knew exactly where to be. Ralph's positioning and timing and hard work made up for his other deficiencies, like lack of speed, and led to him scoring a lot of tries. Being on the end of the 'Saders backline always helped, as well.

Yes we disliked him. I don't know where that 'positioning and timing' or 'great rugby brain' went during Tests where it wasn't unusual to see him over-running his inside man. Geez he was frustrating to watch.

Especially when guys like Bruce Reihana and Roger Randle were sitting at home and available.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Anyone know when the starting team is going to be announced?

Off topic briefly: Bullrush jeez I used to like Reihana - thought he was a fantastic player. Always amazed me that he never went on to play more for the All Blacks

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Cos he left for Northampton saints and had a wondeful career up there. He's retired a complete legend of the Northampton community.

Part & parcel of being a NZ rugby fan - you need to accept that you are going to lose a lot of great players to overseas clubs at a time where they still have so much to offer to their NPC/Super & the All Black teams.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How many backs with surnames starting with "R" did you want at one franchise, though? Randle and Reihana were the tip of the iceberg; can't blame them for leaving!

Seriously, it is a good question to ask: how much did Ralph benefit from being on the end of the 'Saders backline? I will say I never thought Ralph was exactly test-quality, but he was a very handy Super-level winger.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
How many backs with surnames starting with "R" did you want at one franchise, though? Randle and Reihana were the tip of the iceberg; can't blame them for leaving!

Seriously, it is a good question to ask: how much did Ralph benefit from being on the end of the 'Saders backline? I will say I never thought Ralph was exactly test-quality, but he was a very handy Super-level winger.

Fair assessment Ash. Your thoughts on Ralph (and I share them in part) was a similar view I had of Joe Roff (hey another R), was awesome at the Brumbies on the end of GG and Bernie, but I never got the sense he would ever be dominant at test level.

Just my personal view and this is no slight on him but his combination with other players definitely helped him come higher honors.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair assessment Ash. Your thoughts on Ralph (and I share them in part) was a similar view I had of Joe Roff (hey another R), was awesome at the Brumbies on the end of GG and Bernie, but I never got the sense he would ever be dominant at test level.

Just my personal view and this is no slight on him but his combination with other players definitely helped him come higher honors.

a long held belief of mine too.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I hope Link doesn't pick Ralph to start over Shipperely.
He tweeted "Announcement 9am tomorow, bet you can't guess the line-up"
I hope Shippers gets a start, he has looked the goods every game he has played

T

tranquility

I think there is a better than odds on chance he will start, due to experience etc. I don't think you pick a bloke like that to sit on the bench. Link's selections are very hard to predict however.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if DK starts from the bench with either AWH or Schatz starting. Or even Higgers to 8 with Gill and Coridas starting, as its a fairly combative back row of the Chiefs.

Holmes possibly for Slipper too.

I think Shipperley will start and Ralph will just be on the bench.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if DK starts from the bench with either AWH or Schatz starting. Or even Higgers to 8 with Gill and Coridas starting, as its a fairly combative back row of the Chiefs.

Holmes possibly for Slipper too.

I think Shipperley will start and Ralph will just be on the bench.

I can't see any changes in the forward back expect maybe Cordias for Gill. I think Link should introduce AHW and Holmes off the bench a bit sooner then he currently is, they are both in good form and unlucky to be behind a few of our best performing forwards.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll back the Chiefs to win this one if they can find the form they had against the Blues a few weeks back. If the Chiefs play like they did last week the Reds should give them a hiding.

Will be good to Ralph having a run at super level again. He was a really accurate player for the Crusaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.