• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds V Chiefs 2011R18

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sure da Chiefs wil rip them a new one. Have my cow bell all polished for this one. Go da Chiefs!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Have to admit I never been a fan of Steve Kefu, and not sure he would add much to Reds this week.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Although I admit I'm slightly biased, I can't help but think that under rating any NZ 7 is a pretty silly thing to do.

Latimer hasn't had the greatest of seasons, but saying you can't see him being much of a challenge... dear oh dear.

Sorry I should of worded it better. I meant as much of a challenge as David Pocock.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This match will probably the last one for the likes of Mills, Sivi, Ben May, Donald & Foster for the Tribe in Hamilton. Pretty sure they'll give it their best shot downing the top rank Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's on the Sunshine Coast, I guess not totally out of order. For a single game I guess.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Daz, great point re the first 20. But it was worse: needless penalties were also given away in both games in this crucial period of play, and whilst there has been justifiable focus upon the injury log, IMO our Reds were actually not playing to their usual high standards in both games in terms of, for example, handling errors and defence/missed tackle rate. This from ruckingoodstats.com (where btw there is an absolute treasure trove of exemplary stats regarding every imaginable aspect of the Reds' - and all teams' - S15 games) re the Force game:

You also want to throw in that by the 20 minute stage: the Force had 60% territory and 42% possession; the Brumbies had 59% territory and 42% possession. Very scary that it is almost the same...
Hmmm, 20% of all tackles missed, not the mark of champions.

Equally, the howls of 'so sad, the brilliant Force deserved to win' favoured by those hapless FOX comms (Horan is especially banal and disappointing) is exposed as an unbalanced and inaccurate analysis by these stats, gained also from ruckingoodstats.com:

...which highlights the significant improvement in the Reds' play in 2H, and that contributed directly to the pressures the Reds successfully exerted for the ultimate win. The superb Horwill-led charge up the field within unbroken possession in the final 7 mins (and that lead to the crucial final try) mirrored precisely the same impressive achievement v Cru which got the Reds within penalty kick position and forced HRH McCaw into that final high risk ruck ploy that cost the Cru the game. Both IMO were tremendous examples of Horwill's great skill as a Captain and his now proven competence in configuring this team's ability (mentally and tactically) to close out very tight games under losing pressure.

R

RuckinGoodStats

And cheers for the assessement, makes it all worthwhile.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

RGS - good work on the stats you create - re your post above/below, your insert into my re-quoted text was a bit unclear, and it's indeed worth highlighting. These stats below might well perhaps be termed the WMB Index (We Miss Beau Index).

RGS: You also want to throw in that by the 20 minute stage: the Force had 60% territory and 42% possession; the Brumbies had 59% territory and 42% possession. Very scary that it is almost the same..

T

Tank

Quick question - will he be part of the team as the Reds' marquee player??

We don't have one do we? After Braid went back we did not sign another.

Is there another way he could be part of the squad as he is presumably not eligible for the Wallabies...

C

chriscullen

Caleb ralph is a fine choice, although only 33 he seems to have been around forever, played for the chiefs in 1997! I've always admired his play, probably underrated and often slips thru discussion when naming best crusaders players. I hope he plays and plays well.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Quick question - will he be part of the team as the Reds' marquee player??

We don't have one do we? After Braid went back we did not sign another.

Is there another way he could be part of the squad as he is presumably not eligible for the Wallabies...

Just had a quick look at the IRB regs (http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/regulations/04/23/28/42328_pdf.pdf)

Seems like once you've played for one country you're not eligible to play for another, regardless of residency etc (reg 8.2, guideline 4)

So you're right - he's not eligible for the Wallabies so unless there is a provision for playing a non-Wallabies eligible player in emergency circumstances he'd have to be our marquee I'd think...

Status
Not open for further replies.