• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I mean the money he’s one would be below what he could get OS but it would still be pretty decent. He’s captain and I reckon all the Reds will be backing themselves to compete for the title next year. I reckon there would be a fair bit of appeal in have 1-2 more seasons here. He’s still young and has plenty of time to go OS.

I could understand him choosing to take the pay packet if he gets overlooked for the Wallabies (although I reckon he’s a decent chance). But he’s probably invested more into the Reds than any other player there at the moment.

Reactions: dru

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
As a side note, I think this kind of thing should be more common, and the ability to pull it off elegantly in a way that works for teams and the players is the best possible reason to argue with every ounce of strength for a globally coordinated season

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Wright is on a specific deal that allows him to play OS during the offseason if not selected for Wallabies.

For such a terrific servant of QLD and the teams well deserved captain I reckon it’s a no brainer to give him 2 year deals of this nature on the best money available until he chooses to move on.
Higginbotham had a Reds/Japan combo deal. We should use them more. Short term pain, long term gain.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Unfortunately, now Japan Top League is aligned with Super Rugby, there is much less opportunity and value for these kind of deals at least outside of World Cup years
Had no idea, thanks for pointing this out Strewth!

So I went looking and this seasons comp ran from essentially the middle of Dec to start of May - https://league-one.jp/en/schedule/

Realistically speaking, that would only allow the players around half a season Dec-Feb, but then we run a risk of someone getting a season ending injury before our season starts.

Wish we were able to play more of the Japanese teams as there's a real chance of some great cross over here. i.e. J-Leage starts in Dec, Super rugby in March and then we cross over.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Had no idea, thanks for pointing this out Strewth!

So I went looking and this seasons comp ran from essentially the middle of Dec to start of May - https://league-one.jp/en/schedule/

Realistically speaking, that would only allow the players around half a season Dec-Feb, but then we run a risk of someone getting a season ending injury before our season starts.

Wish we were able to play more of the Japanese teams as there's a real chance of some great cross over here. i.e. J-Leage starts in Dec, Super rugby in March and then we cross over.
It works out to be less than half a season as the comp has a bye weeks etc. I think you could play 6 games before Super Rugby re-started

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Jeez thats going to build some depth for next year, as long as not season ending injuries.
What does that mean for interruptions to the Hospital Cup season?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
This is great!

Would be fantastic if they can add another two games to the UK trip. Would make for some fantastic Sunday morning watching. Much better pre season games than the usual we get.

Reds Rick

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe I’m drinking too much kool aid but really feels like they’re starting to build something special here. Great coaching team in place, back office in order/strong financials and seems like a lot of quality players want to be there if all the rebels mail is to be believed.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

I wonder how much all of this is costing though...

Reds vs Wales is backed by QLD Tourism.
Tonga vs Reds is backed by DFAT/Aus Govt

And conceivably, the Reds vs Ulster and Reds vs Bristol will get a decent gate-taking return to offset the costs of travel somewhat.

The hardest part is the coordination and organisation across multiple stakeholders that goes into these kind of things

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jeez thats going to build some depth for next year, as long as not season ending injuries.
What does that mean for interruptions to the Hospital Cup season?

Wales and Tonga games will interrupt Hospital Cup.

Those other 2 fixtures are preseason next year. Minimal impact if any!

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
This is great!

Would be fantastic if they can add another two games to the UK trip. Would make for some fantastic Sunday morning watching. Much better pre season games than the usual we get.
Will be tough to fit any more in. There are some weeks off for six nations but not many around then