• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s a touchy subject and an unpopular opinion - but to be consistently competitive in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific), and build crowds and support in the two biggest rugby markets, (and also build a better wallabies) this is the concentration of test players we need at the Reds and the Tahs first and foremost.

For non-reds fans reading this forum that’s going to sound like self interest from a QLDer, but the survival and growth of game need this.

if we can manage a third team with enough similar depth we go with the three.

but this is what the future standard of oz teams need to look like. For the sake of improving oz results in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) (which I don’t particularly love but it’s what we have) and for the sake of the wallabies getting back up the rankings
I get what you’re saying - but we also need to grow new markets to grow rugby. Perth seems to a genuine opportunity to grow a third significant and largely self-sustaining footprint (still a bit away from the self-sustaining part but they seem to be investing heavily in pathways so I feel confident they’ll continue to grow in that space).

That said, you won’t get any complaints from me if we get Salakai-Loto back to the Reds. Always loved having him here and would add some impact to our pack. And we’d have genuine depth at lock for the first time since Hockings & Rodda both left at once.

However good our first 23 looks we need to be strong in numbers 24 - 32 to get to the next level.

Reactions: Ged

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeah, rich but true Sully. And by saying that I am not excusing the Brumbies from their similar actions in the past. As TSR says above, it is an imperative if any side wants to be competitive at the end of the Super Rugby season. But with the likelihood of many of the ex-Rebels no longer playing Super Rugby and combined with quite a few Super Rugby players from other franchises (notably the Tahs) also heading elsewhere, the scarcity of available talent will probably mean further shrinkage in the Aussie Super Rugby sides before the remaining sides can all hope to be competitive, whether that be 3 or 2 teams.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, rich but true Sully. And by saying that I am not excusing the Brumbies from their similar actions in the past. As TSR says above, it is an imperative if any side wants to be competitive at the end of the Super Rugby season. But with the likelihood of many of the ex-Rebels no longer playing Super Rugby and combined with quite a few Super Rugby players from other franchises (notably the Tahs) also heading elsewhere, the scarcity of available talent will probably mean further shrinkage in the Aussie Super Rugby sides before the remaining sides can all hope to be competitive, whether that be 3 or 2 teams.
It's not like the Reds have just gone out and poached 6 marquee locks though - with the exception of Daly and Canham (and Uru I guess), they've come up through the QLD pathways at (roughly) the same time.

Reactions: Ged

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Are we really stockpiling timber?

Only Smith, Blyth and Canham would make the Reds 23 as designated second rowers.

Uru is a loose forward who can play second row (we've probably seen he is too short when paired with Smith who isn't the tallest going around).

Cormac has been handy, but hasn't stepped up just yet.

Vest is similar to Uru, but similar to Cormac hasn't taken his chances.

So we have 3 people for 3 positions, 2 stand ins and 1 with potential.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Are we really stockpiling timber?

Props and locks are the position you want to stockpile IMO. If you have a great one then they are suspect to being lost by cashed up overseas raids.

the tahs are stockpiling premium outside backs but I feel like if one of those options got injured there’s a u20 or clubland player who you could stop gap the position

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Tahs should sign Cormac Daly, he lived in NSW before moving north.
Maybe. Think he's one of those guys who's level is somewhere between 1st Grade and Super Rugby. Not a bad squad filler but doesn't upgrade a your match day 23.

Looking at that potential squad for the Reds anything other than top 2 would be a disappointment right?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe. Think he's one of those guys who's level is somewhere between 1st Grade and Super Rugby. Not a bad squad filler but doesn't upgrade a your match day 23.

Looking at that potential squad for the Reds anything other than top 2 would be a disappointment right?
Will depend a bit on competition structure next year, but a home final should be the target, so probably top 3. Still a fair few signings/re-signings to go, but I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if next years squad doesn't end up markedly stronger than this years.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Updated @RugbyReg list from 1st page

Queensland Reds 2024 (37 signed)

Les Kiss - Head Coach (2026)
Brad Davis - defence and backs (2026)
Jonathan Fisher - breakdown and forward skills (2026)
Zane Hilton - set piece forward (2026)
Dale Roberson - academy (2026)

Hookers:
Matt Faessler - 2025
Josh Nasser - 2026

Props:
Alex Hodgman - 2025
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - 2025
George Blake - 2026
Zane Nonggorr - 2026

Locks:
Angus Blyth - 2025
Connor Vest - 2025
Ryan Smith - 2025
Joshu Canham - 2026

Backrow:
Fraser McReight - 2025
Seru Uru - 2025
Harry Wilson - 2025
Joe Brial - 2025

Scrumhalf:
Tate McDermott - 2027
Kalani Thomas - 2025

Flyhalf:
Tom Lynagh - 2026
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - 2025

Centres:
Hunter Paisami - 2026
Joshu Flook - 2025

Wings:
Suliasi Vunivalu - 2025

Fullback:

UNSIGNED:
Richie Asiata -2024
Max Craig - 2024
Trevor King - 2024
Sef Fa'agase - 2024
Peni Ravai - 2024
Massimo De Lutiis - ???
Taine Roiri - ???
Cormac Daly - 2024
Liam Wright - 2024
Connor Anderson - 2024
John Bryant - 2024
Louis Werchon - 2024
James O'Connor - 2024
Jordan Petaia - 2024
Taj Annan - ???
Isaac Henry - ???
Frankie Goldsbrough - 2024? (possible Academy)
Tim Ryan - 2024
Jock Campbell - 2024
Mac Grealy - 2024
Floyd Aubrey - ???

CONFIRMED GONE:

RUMORED GONE:

Jordan Petaia - NRL
Lawson Creighton -Japan

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
What about another category under the heading "Rumoured In" Adam? Currently would have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Kailea in that group, maybe others. Just keeping an eye on the pressures on those not yet signed to retain their spots.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I can see world where Campbell goes. He's 29 and would get very good money overseas. If Tom Banks is getting 1.4m surely Campbell could get 800k-1m??

The way Bryant was playing through the year would make him a must re sign probably in place of Brial post 2025. I wouldn't mind Brial at the Tahs, especially if it helped make sure his younger brother (VC Aus 18s last year in yr 11) joined them...

A lot of Props in that unsigned group. Ravai was great and you know he's ready and De Luttiis feels like the future that QLD should lock up because I reckon the Brumbies would love him back with an ageing couple of Props.

seabasss

Frank Row (1)
I can see world where Campbell goes. He's 29 and would get very good money overseas. If Tom Banks is getting 1.4m surely Campbell could get 800k-1m??

The way Bryant was playing through the year would make him a must re sign probably in place of Brial post 2025. I wouldn't mind Brial at the Tahs, especially if it helped make sure his younger brother (VC Aus 18s last year in yr 11) joined them...

A lot of Props in that unsigned group. Ravai was great and you know he's ready and De Luttiis feels like the future that QLD should lock up because I reckon the Brumbies would love him back with an ageing couple of Props.
I'd be surprised if Campbell re-signed. Assuming at least Campbell, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, and Suli (next year) are leaving think it frees up some cash to re-sign/sign the players we need.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Kiss is a big fan of Bryant, i'd expect he would be high on the retention list but I can also see that he might be a player the Tahs might approach. Might be a bit of a domino effect here though, pending what Wright plans on doing.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

I have a feeling we might lose Ravai as an off contract foreign prop, but they maybe able to sort out a one year contract to ease the transition even if we are getting Kailea. Big question might be how long Ravai feels he has left in his career and where he wants to retire.

Bridal still has a year left, so they'd have to work something out to get him to the tahs, but I expect him and Bryant won't mind hanging around another year as fringe members given they're young, there's a very good vibe about the squad and coaching and there's a fair bit of high level off season rugby available to them in QLD still. Those games are going to be invaluable in retaining that young fringe talent I think, particularly when you look at a side like the tahs who have nothing on.

Campbell I've been worried about losing for a while, I think with him missing out on the Wallabies squad he's likely gone, though if we do lose Petaia there's a bit more chance of keeping him. Might also come down to how lose RA gets with squad sizes - I imagine Vunivalu won't be re-signed at the end of 2025, so they might want to carry an extra outside back next year so they don't lose them for the sake of Vunivalu.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I have a feeling we might lose Ravai as an off contract foreign prop, but they maybe able to sort out a one year contract to ease the transition even if we are getting Kailea. Big question might be how long Ravai feels he has left in his career and where he wants to retire.

Bridal still has a year left, so they'd have to work something out to get him to the tahs, but I expect him and Bryant won't mind hanging around another year as fringe members given they're young, there's a very good vibe about the squad and coaching and there's a fair bit of high level off season rugby available to them in QLD still. Those games are going to be invaluable in retaining that young fringe talent I think, particularly when you look at a side like the tahs who have nothing on.

Campbell I've been worried about losing for a while, I think with him missing out on the Wallabies squad he's likely gone, though if we do lose Petaia there's a bit more chance of keeping him. Might also come down to how lose RA gets with squad sizes - I imagine Vunivalu won't be re-signed at the end of 2025, so they might want to carry an extra outside back next year so they don't lose them for the sake of Vunivalu.
I don't expect Brial to be moved now but it's a bit of future planning for after Brials current contract finishes I reckon the Reds would want to slot Bryant into that spot which I assume is higher on the salary list but not necessarily the pecking order.

Makes personal sense for Campbell. He can set himself up being 29. Stays for two more years then it starts getting harder to get the big deal.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Brial definitely shows the merits of how and why a loan system in Australian Rugby would benefit multiple parties.

With the Tahs losing a considerable amount of back row talent, Brial would help the Tahs immediately plug the gaps whether be in the starting 15 or extended match day squad.

The Reds on the otherhand would benefit by allowing a squad player who's not in the 23 to get match experience.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder how much the Wallabies performances knock off player's OS worth. Campbell is what, 4th in line for Wallabies fullback? That would've got him a lot of dosh a while ago like when Maddocks left, not so shiny now.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I think scouts and GMs make a call off Super Rugby over the Wallabies since you see more of it. His form currently is strong and he'd start for a lot of sides around the world. I think his style of play suits Japan and France over somewhere like England or the URC.

Is he an attractive signing because he's seemingly down the pecking order and not going to be called up for international duties once he leaves.