• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it was really only his last season with the Storm that he had issues. It'd be understandable if the logic was that he'd recover with management and the relatively-speaking lighter load of Super.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Even from an injury perspective, his hamstring issues seem to precede his union career.

The Storm have a pretty good track record (well at least they did for a long time) of keeping broken bodies healthy and hidden.

Bellyache isn't a slouch, he knew how to get the best out of Vunivalu and when not to test him. Vunivalu has openly discussed the changes in workload training since going to the Reds, particularly under a taskmaster like Thorn.

The Storm just needed him to run fast, jump high and shift in too early on defence like all good NRL wingers do.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Third deal I think. Two year deal initially. Extended by another year just before his debut, and then two years to 2025 when EJ (Eddie Jones) got excited

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just saw an interesting comment by Geoff Parkes on the Roar
Because a lot of this is still ongoing I think it’s prudent for me to stay out of the speculation for now. It’s a delicate time for many of these guys. Remember that there is a difference between the players who are contracted to the end of next season and the ones who were only contracted for this year. It’s harsh, but RA is obliged to place the first group as priority.

What I can say is that I’m aware of some more overseas signings, another for the Reds, and a few for the Waratahs. I’ll leave it up to the clubs to announce those. There are also a couple of injury enforced retirements.

Unfortunately, I expect there’ll be some talented young guys left without a contract and they’ll have to submit themselves to training with a new franchise and trying to earn a spot that way.
I wonder if this is someone returning home, or a new player who has not previously been with the Reds?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great news - I'm a bit surprised by the one year deal, although he will be 30 next year and probs looking to chase the cash while he still can
It might be to do with RA top ups given he's in this fringe space where he has just pushed back into the squad. Could be they offered something on a one year deal only or alternatively he thinks he can really prove his value in a Lions year, either to RA or overseas squads. 32 at the world cup is a on the older end for a winger, but fine for an outside centre so he should still have plenty to offer to pick up a 2 year deal.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
That gets the Reds some size or at least another guy who plays big. Good signing
Have seen this said a few times now and I don’t quite get it - of the current squad, Petaia, Annan, and Vunivalu are big, and Paisami and Henry play big.

Injuries obviously impacted availability this year, but the squad isn’t lacking size to the extent suggested imo.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
These have been awesome signings. Don’t want to be too cocky but this is an awesome squad and we should definitely destroy every other Aus team easily and finish top 3 or 4. I think there’s no reason we can’t be competitive at the top and humiliate some kiwi sides. Again though, don’t want to be too cocky early.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Problem has been getting size into the starting line up - the backline we were running of McDermott, Lynagh, Ryan, Paisami, Flook, Grealy, Campbell did lack size and with Petaia and Henry injured, Vunivalu not up to it and Annan still on the rise we were slim on options. Getting a genuine big bodied, explosive back in there helps unlock guys who play big like Paisami, because they get a lot more opportunity to exploit defenses worried about (or half broken by) those guys coming through.

That said, I'm not sure Daugunu entirely covers that as he is more "plays big" than being actually big, but it does help. Certainly I think he fits the style Les Kiss has been building with backs playing at pace and popping up all over the backline interchanging roles.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Could be Hough after he was unsighted this season, would be tragic for someone so young and promising. Possibly Proctor as well given his horror run this year and being on the wrong side of 30.