• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
^^ Building on the above, i'd have the following as the priority for retention/recruitment(besides the obvious Petaia):
- John Byrant
- Tim Ryan
- Frankie Goldsbrough
- Mason Gordon
- Richie Asiata

Nice to have:
- Max Craig
- Trevor King
- Taine Roiri
- Isaac Henry
- Floyd Aubrey
Having lost so much depth in the centres with O’Connor, Creighton, Annan, and Petaia seemingly going, resigning Henry should be a priority imo.

Obviously his run of injuries is a concern, but last season felt like a breakout year for him regardless.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Hooker position is priority signing. Whenever they do road games they usually take 3 (in case backup is injured)
Agree - although it seemed George Blake is being developed to at least cover hooker. If that’s fhe case you’d think Asiata might be pushed out given the Reds suddenly have two Wallaby hookers in front of him.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Having lost so much depth in the centres with O’Connor, Creighton, Annan, and Petaia seemingly going, resigning Henry should be a priority imo.

Obviously his run of injuries is a concern, but last season felt like a breakout year for him regardless.
What's a return to play timeline for a Patella tendon rupture?

A quick google suggests 12 months at least before back to pre-injury level, which would wipe him out for most of next Super Rugby year.

That's a tough contract to put together

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree - although it seemed George Blake is being developed to at least cover hooker. If that’s fhe case you’d think Asiata might be pushed out given the Reds suddenly have two Wallaby hookers in front of him.
I don't think we'll find out about Asiata until after the NPC, given he's over there getting game time. With Kaitu'u also seemingly in the frame I'm not too worried either way, though I'd like as to retain Craig as a future prospect.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

A quick google suggests 12 months at least before back to pre-injury level, which would wipe him out for most of next Super Rugby year.

That's a tough contract to our together
I expect he'll be on a base line single year contract hoping to return and push for more in 2026, and there maybe further provisions in the cap for players rehabbing like that. In some ways the injury simplifies things as he's unlikely to see much external interest until he has returned to play. With young centres in Goldsborough and Pakeho coming through we do have a bit of room to move there.

Might factor a bit more into who they try and get as a 3rd flyhalf/utility back, with 12 coverage looking a bit more important.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Do the players have to do medical assessments etc when they sign a contract? I wonder how insurance works for a "pre-existing" condition like this would be for the next contract?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

I recall the goal was to have him fit by around November - as you say, it will likely take longer to return to pre-injury conditions. He ruptured it reasonably early in the season though (mid-March), so I'd expect him to be available for most of next season.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Do the players have to do medical assessments etc when they sign a contract? I wonder how insurance works for a "pre-existing" condition like this would be for the next contract?

I think medical screenings are done at the request of the teams but I imagine would be fairly common these days as you can quickly suss out any major issues with the technology we have.

Not related to the Reds but there was an interesting situation in the NRL last year where a player passed their medical, signed a contract and then essentially rocked up to pre-season and couldn't train due to another injury. The club did some digging and found out it was pre-existing injury that wasn't disclosed so they voided his contract as it takes 30 days for the NRL to register a contract after it is signed.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I think medical screenings are done at the request of the teams but I imagine would be fairly common these days as you can quickly suss out any major issues with the technology we have.

Not related to the Reds but there was an interesting situation in the NRL last year where a player passed their medical, signed a contract and then essentially rocked up to pre-season and couldn't train due to another injury. The club did some digging and found out it was pre-existing injury that wasn't disclosed so they voided his contract as it takes 30 days for the NRL to register a contract after it is signed.
I believe an undisclosed pre-existing leg injury was also (partly) the reason for JOC (James O'Connor)'s early exit from his 2015 stint with the Reds

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I believe an undisclosed pre-existing leg injury was also (partly) the reason for JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)'s early exit from his 2015 stint with the Reds
That whole comedic series of events where JOC (James O'Connor) was charged down where he had a bung knee and then the Saffa who charged it down pulled a hammy is forever burnt in my brain.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

It's a serious injury. But also a freak one at that unlike Achillies which tend to start going on older guys as they continue to do explosive things. He should recover back to normal but will be slow and painful for him. Think he's genuinely worth keeping on the books if the price is right.

The ones like Goldsbrough and Pakeho might be good talents with a bright future but they are teenagers and probably 3-4 years off being any resemblance of what they may end up. I tend to think you can smash a blokes confidence and body at this age more than they gain from the exposure.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know they often have to pass fitness tests when joining teams, particularly in France. The teams there can be quite ruthless about it to, voiding contracts at the last minute.

A bit different in signing an already injured player I guess, but I'd suspect with something long term like this any contract would be contingent on passing that final fitness test. I can't see anyone (outside of Australia) willing to take on the rehab project on the hope of him coming out the other end. Only worry for us would be someone like the Brumbies swooping, but I think it's more likely we hang on to him at this stage.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I know they often have to pass fitness tests when joining teams, particularly in France. The teams there can be quite ruthless about it to, voiding contracts at the last minute.

A bit different in signing an already injured player I guess, but I'd suspect with something long term like this any contract would be contingent on passing that final fitness test. I can't see anyone (outside of Australia) willing to take on the rehab project on the hope of him coming out the other end. Only worry for us would be someone like the Brumbies swooping, but I think it's more likely we hang on to him at this stage.
IIRC he was in the Brumbies acadamy a couple of years ago. It might be a possibility.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
IIRC he was in the Brumbies acadamy a couple of years ago. It might be a possibility.
I don't recall if he was ever Brums academy, but I do know he was a bee's dick away from signing with them when he was last off contract, after the Reds didn't table an offer until very late in the process. Preference was, and I believe still is, to stay in BNE.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
From a Brumbies 2020 John I Dent match report. Only spent a year down south

Vikings came out firing in the second half, scoring an early try through Isaac Henry, the academy star crossing over under the posts. Henry continued his perfect kicking converting his own try. 10 minutes later, and he struck a penalty from just inside the Royals 22 making the score 27-7.

Cole

Bob McCowan (2)
It's a serious injury. But also a freak one at that unlike Achillies which tend to start going on older guys as they continue to do explosive things. He should recover back to normal but will be slow and painful for him. Think he's genuinely worth keeping on the books if the price is right.

The ones like Goldsbrough and Pakeho might be good talents with a bright future but they are teenagers and probably 3-4 years off being any resemblance of what they may end up. I tend to think you can smash a blokes confidence and body at this age more than they gain from the exposure.
Looks like Cam Roigard is about to make his playing return from a rupture patella Tendon, think his injury would have been similar time to Isaac's

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
First official news about Grearly to force. Going to be touring South Africa with force on a train and trial deal