• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Byrnes and Weekes have both signed and some Brumbies prop has alleged to agreed to join as well. I guess that may mean this Smith kid hasnt signed after all.

NSW obviously didnt rate Byrnes that much otherwise they surely would have signed him by now given their lack of numbers in that position.

T

TOCC

the gambler said:
Byrnes and Weekes have both signed and some Brumbies prop has alleged to agreed to join as well. I guess that may mean this Smith kid hasnt signed after all.

NSW obviously didnt rate Byrnes that much otherwise they surely would have signed him by now given their lack of numbers in that position.

he agreed to joing the Reds a long time ago, before Elsom actually confirmed what he was going next year. Maybe he was just sick of NSW ignoring him for so long that he thought he would take his chances elsewhere.

F

formeropenside

The Brumbies Academy prop is Jack Kennedy, a former Aus U21 prop. He's a THP apparently.

My views on recruiting outside of Qld rather than developing local players are well known.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
the gambler said:

I haven't seen anything official on Byrnes yet, only comments on this forum, but if the Tahs let him go (he's in the professional category of the Junior Waratahs) it's not easy to understand. They will know him well after being around the Waratahs Academy both before and after he went overseas; so maybe he didn't tick enough boxes.

There must have been an opportunity for him here. I will be interested to see what locks the Tahs come up with for 2009, but that belongs on the other thread.

As for Ruan Smith: it's unlikely a schoolboy prop, however big and good he is, would be given a Super14 contract for 2009, whether it's here or in the RSA. A pro contract in the QAS is more likely. The QRU talent scouts would know him as well as the RSA guys do and the lad would know enough about living in Oz to apprreciate if it's worthwhile to make a lifestyle choice of coming back here - or not.

I don't know if the dad is still over here, or not, but it's hard for 18 y.os to be away from all family. Then there is the complication of wanting to be with his twin brother. From a family point of view I hope that he sees fit to stay in the RSA.

There are more important things in life than rugby.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
There's a story about Byrne's signing in the Courier mail accompanied by a photo. Looks like a big and tall lad.

With Weekes how many props does that make? Edwards, Holmes, Daley, Weekes, Kennedy..Slipper is in the Academy and has already played Qld XV. Is Coutts still on contract? Agree with Lee - if Ruan Smith is a signing it probably is to the Academy at this stage.

It was good to see Jake Schatz coming off the bench for Sunnybank in the Premier grade semi last weekend. Having just turned 18 he has only now become eligible to play the senior stuff. Compared well sizewise to the other blokes on the paddock, and he could be one to look out for in the next season or two.

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
There's a story about Byrne's signing in the Courier mail accompanied by a photo. Looks like a big and tall lad.

With Weekes how many props does that make? Edwards, Holmes, Daley, Weekes, Kennedy..Slipper is in the Academy and has already played Qld XV. Is Coutts still on contract? Agree with Lee - if Ruan Smith is a signing it probably is to the Academy at this stage.

It was good to see Jake Schatz coming off the bench for Sunnybank in the Premier grade semi last weekend. Having just turned 18 he has only now become eligible to play the senior stuff. Compared well sizewise to the other blokes on the paddock, and he could be one to look out for in the next season or two.

Spectator - Coutts is gone, and no loss, unlike Blake. He was always a disappointment at S14 level, even at LHP. Had the size at 125kg but not the ticker.

I am also looking forward to Schatz: he was a good basketballer at school too I understand, so presumably will be a lineout option.

Both are playing in France.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ash

Thanks for that about Byrnes; so the rumours from a couple of months ago were true. I don't know how well he'll do at the S14 level and he probably doesn't know himself. But for the sake of Oz rugby, I wish him well.

T

TOCC

spectator said:

yeah like someone said Coutts is gone, but i agree he was useless, he was barely making a impression at Premier Grade level let alone S14 level..

Daley, Edwards, Holmes and Weekes are the only confirmed props for next year though i think. Edwards was only a academy prop last year so he will be in the S14 squad this year definetly.

The Reds do have a lot of vacant positions this year, there was a enormous amount of players off-contract at the end of 2007, most of them were washed up never beens, apart from the obvious blokes like roe, croft and latho.

F

formeropenside

Holmes, Turinui to co-captain tour squad

Holmes a co-captain of tour squadFriday, 8 August 2008
The QR Reds have named a squad of 25 players to fly out later this month for a 17 day, four match development tour of Ireland and France.

Wallabies Greg Holmes and Morgan Turinui will co-captain the squad, which includes a mix of Super 14 players, up and coming QAS Reds Academy rookies and in-form players from the Trinity Queensland Premier Rugby competition.

The Reds' new recruits for 2008, Junior Waratahs lock Adam Byrnes, former Brumbies centre Anthony Fainga'a and Canberra prop Jack Kennedy, are in the side, along with Wallaby wing Digby Ioane, plus fellow capped Reds Leroy Houston, Van Humphries, Ben Lucas, Will Genia, Poutasi Luafutu and Scott Higginbotham.

Young uncapped QR Reds' lock Robert Simmons is in the squad, along with some of the brightest young talent from the QAS Reds Academy, some of whom like hooker James Hanson and exciting fullback Aidan Toua will step up to the senior side in 2009.

Outstanding playing form in the Premier Rugby competition has also been rewarded, with Brothers' centre James Harvey and Sunshine Coast Stingrays prop Shon Siemonek called into the squad.

Another strong club performer in 2008, Brothers backrower Andrew Shaw, son of former Wallaby and Reds captain Tony Shaw, is in the squad as is 18-year old University flyhalf Jono Lance, the son of former Canberra Raiders rugby league premiership winning captain and now NRL coach, Dean Lance. Both players will come into the Academy fold in 2009.

Holmes said being given the co-captaincy by coach Phil Mooney was unexpected but a call he was delighted to receive.

"I'm pretty happy about it. When I was one of the younger players in the squad it was something I didn't really give much thought to. But I suppose the longer you manage to hang around, these things come up," said the 25 year old with 13 Tests and 35 Queensland caps to his name.

?It's nice to know the coaches are thinking about you in that way.

"I'm sure if some of the Wallaby guys had been going on the tour I wouldn't have been given the opportunity, but I have and I'll take it. I'll do my best to lead by example," Holmes said.

The squad will leave Brisbane on August 19, two days after the Trinity Queensland Premier Rugby Grand Final, and play matches against Irish sides Ulster, Connacht and Leinster and French provincial side, Nice.

The squad is:
Forwards: Greg Holmes (prop, Sunnybank, co-captain), Albert Anae (prop/hooker, Sunnybank), Adam Byrnes (lock), James Hanson (hooker, University), Scott Higginbotham (backrow, Wests), Leroy Houston (No 8, Norths), Van Humphries (lock, Souths), Jack Kennedy (prop), Poutasi Luafutu (flanker, Wests), Jake Schatz (backrow, Sunnybank), Andrew Shaw (backrow, Brothers), Shon Siemonek (prop, Sunshine Coast), Robert Simmons (lock, Sunnybank), James Slipper (prop, Gold Coast)

Backs: Morgan Turinui (centre, Sunshine Coast, co-captain), Anthony Fainga'a (centre), Charlie Fetoai (centre, Sunnybank), Will Genia (scrumhalf, Wests), James Harvey (centre, Brothers), Digby Ioane (wing, Sunnybank), Jono Lance (flyhalf, University), Ben Lucas (scrumhalf, Sunnybank), Luke Morahan (wing, University), Ben Tapuai (centre, Gold Coast), Aidan Toua (fullback, Easts).

Well, interesting...

1. It appears that Turinui and Van the Man are both staying Red in 09. Genia too.

2. There are a lot of props on tour: Holmes, Anae, Kennedy, Slipper and Siemonek. No Daley or Edwards; I can only assume they are injured. I also assume Anae will cover hooker as otherwise there is only Hanson: no S. Fainga'a (although A. Fainga'a is in the backs - again I assume injury).

3. Only 3 second rowers though - Byrnes, Van and Simmons. Perhaps Higginbotham will cover.

4. Good to see young Andrew Shaw (openside) and Schatz [8] in the team.

5. I wonder if Digby gets a call up to the Test squad who will replace him?

6. No Quade Cooper.

7. I'd love to see these games televised, but I know that wont be the case.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Quade Cooper, Blair Connor, Dana Edwards and Brando Vaalu are injured and would probably have gone. Not sure about Daley and Fainga.

Agree FOS - good to see Shaw and Schatz there - two longer term forward prospects that are worth developing. Jonno Lance is another kid who is worth keeping an eye on and good to see he and Harvey selected along with the other exciting backs prospects.

I would consider McKibbin, the Brothers halfback, and Brandon, the Easts 10. to be very unlucky as they have stood out in the local Premier comp.

T

TOCC

Saia Fainga'a is playing for East in the Shute Shild who are currently 4th on the ladder atm i. I suppose it would have being his call and its a bit hard to walk out on team-mates just before the finals, at least he scored a double on the weekend against Manly :)

Not sure about Daley though?.

Interesting notes out or the article from the QRU website.

James Hanson and Aidan Toua signed to S14 contracts for 2009, Hanson signed just before the JRWC but Toua is a recent signing.
Tony Shaw and Jono Lance both in the Reds Academy in 2009

Tony Shaw being the son of Wallaby and Reds captain Wnthony Shaw, and Jono Lance being the son of former Canberra Raiders Premiership winning Captain Dean Lance.

T

TOCC

ah yeah, maybe he has being using one of Loreals anti-ageing creams?

Its good to see a lot of 2nd generation Reds players coming thruogh, even better to see the sons of former NRL legends coming through.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done to Brothers for knocking off a star studded Sunnybank side 36-27 in the Brisbane Premier Grade preliminary final yesterday! Lucas wasn't available for the Bank but they still had half a dozen or so Reds squad members on the paddock, so a mighty effort from the minor premiers.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Raider turns Red

August 15, 2008

FORMER Canberra Raiders utility Mark McLinden has become the latest rugby league player to switch to rugby union, signing a two-year deal with the Queensland Reds.
McLinden, 29, played 165 matches over seven seasons with the Raiders before relocating to the Super League in England, where he has spent four seasons with London Broncos, now the Harlequins.

The former half was granted an early release from his contract with Harlequins to return home, and was tipped to replace sacked half-back Todd Carney at the Raiders.

But the Reds have been quick to jump on McLinden, signing him to replace outgoing full-back Clinton Schifcofske, also a former Raider.

Reds performance manager Ben Whitaker, said McLinden's experience and versatility would be valuable to the Super 14 club.

"A player like Mark has that experience (and) is able to fit a certain hole in terms of our squad list," Whitaker said.

"He was the right person for that position that didn't exist off-contract at the moment in rugby in Australia."

Schifcofske personally recommended his former Raiders teammate to Reds staff before taking up a lucrative contract with Irish rugby club Ulster.

"Clinton has travelled a similar path and his opinion is one we respect," Whitaker said.

"He was adamant that Mark will be an absolute hit in the game.

"Positionally we've obviously got some ideas about him playing in the back three but there's no reason why he couldn't play elsewhere."

McLinden will play out the rest of the Super League season before returning home to Australia.

F

formeropenside

I know nothing about McLinden; I wonder how he will go.

Does anyone know anything about these cryptic words of wisdom from Growden in R&M?

Concerns that a leading Sydney club player could head north because of lack of interest from the Waratahs.

I mean, that how I want to see players becomes Reds: move to Brisbane, start playing Brisbane club rugby and seek recognition that way.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
fatprop said:
Raider turns Red

August 15, 2008

FORMER Canberra Raiders utility Mark McLinden has become the latest rugby league player to switch to rugby union, signing a two-year deal with the Queensland Reds.
McLinden, 29, played 165 matches over seven seasons with the Raiders before relocating to the Super League in England, where he has spent four seasons with London Broncos, now the Harlequins.

The former half was granted an early release from his contract with Harlequins to return home, and was tipped to replace sacked half-back Todd Carney at the Raiders.

But the Reds have been quick to jump on McLinden, signing him to replace outgoing full-back Clinton Schifcofske, also a former Raider.

Reds performance manager Ben Whitaker, said McLinden's experience and versatility would be valuable to the Super 14 club.

"A player like Mark has that experience (and) is able to fit a certain hole in terms of our squad list," Whitaker said.

"He was the right person for that position that didn't exist off-contract at the moment in rugby in Australia."

Schifcofske personally recommended his former Raiders teammate to Reds staff before taking up a lucrative contract with Irish rugby club Ulster.

"Clinton has travelled a similar path and his opinion is one we respect," Whitaker said.

"He was adamant that Mark will be an absolute hit in the game.

"Positionally we've obviously got some ideas about him playing in the back three but there's no reason why he couldn't play elsewhere."

McLinden will play out the rest of the Super League season before returning home to Australia.

Has he played rugby union before at senior level? Or is the experience he will bring actually of a professional league player? I can't understand the continuing infatuation with league players who've never played rugby before, surely the S14 sides should have learnt that it takes time to work (if at all) by now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
OK Google is your friend. I found out he hasn't played union since school and he once ran a 10.8 second 100 metres.

Status
Not open for further replies.