• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Hunt ? Are they kidding ? At 21, he's already losing what pace he has. He's a bung shoulder from all the shoulder charges he puts on. And he's infamous for his love of recreational drugs.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
the gambler said:
I see Karmichael Hunt is being touted as the next league convert. I dare say its just a ploy to get more money out of the league clubs but who knows these days. If he was to change codes I would have thought he would do a Brad Thorn and head home to New Zealand. What was he like at school as a rugby player?
One of the best schoolbay players I have ever seen. Totally dominated in the centres when he was at Churchie.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
the gambler said:
I see Karmichael Hunt is being touted as the next league convert. I dare say its just a ploy to get more money out of the league clubs but who knows these days. If he was to change codes I would have thought he would do a Brad Thorn and head home to New Zealand. What was he like at school as a rugby player?

Excellent - was another star. Ripped it up at 12, I believe. Was always going to league, though, but the Reds did want him. There were two Queensland youngsters who were highly rated around the same time - one was Hynes, the other was Karmichael.

Doubt it's a ploy at all. Karmichael, like a lot of Broncos players, gets less than he would elsewhere. If he wanted to play the Broncos he'd just sell himself to other clubs, but the Broncos typically don't play too many games like that either as they are content to see their star players walk - the Broncos have the believe that they can always unearth a replacement. And, typically enough, they do - although Langer/Walters is probably the one exception.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Qld is undertaking a similar tour to the Force in August, but to Ireland. Some Academy players are being considered and I wonder if, like Turner at WA, young Swanepoel gets an invitation to tour? That's assuming he still has his Academy contract.

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
Qld is undertaking a similar tour to the Force in August, but to Ireland. Some Academy players are being considered and I wonder if, like Turner at WA, young Swanepoel gets an invitation to tour? That's assuming he still has his Academy contract.

I'm more interested in who they take as props.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was just reading on foxsport that the ARU have agreed to top up Tirinuis contract, But he still believes he is only a 50-50 chance of staying. He states that it is the lure of playing test Rugby that is holding him here. What do you guys think? Can he make it back into the Test team? he has a great rugby mind but his fitness has let him down in the past. It would have to be a big S14 for him next year.

BTW Well down the ARU for realising Qld needs him to guide our young team and a strong Qld can't be bad for Aus Rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sully said:
I was just reading on foxsport that the ARU have agreed to top up Tirinuis contract, But he still believes he is only a 50-50 chance of staying. He states that it is the lure of playing test Rugby that is holding him here. What do you guys think? Can he make it back into the Test team? he has a great rugby mind but his fitness has let him down in the past. It would have to be a big S14 for him next year.

BTW Well down the ARU for realising Qld needs him to guide our young team and a strong Qld can't be bad for Aus Rugby.
If he could be got fit, I have no doubt he could play Test rugby, he has plenty of skill. He just hasn't shown the commitment to get and stay fit as yet. But good that he could turn out for the Reds next year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No, I don't think he should have really been there in the first place let alone be able to make it back in now. Good S14 player and experienced leader that is important for the Reds, but not Wallaby material when we have players like Mortlock, Tahu, Horne and Cross to choose from.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Forget 13: Mortlock, Cross, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), + others well ahead.

But how about 12? There's Barnes, then you've probably got to grab a 13 and put him at 12.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty, I certainly wasn't suggesting he should be in the Wallabies ahead of anyone, but he has enough talent to be a test centre. I question his application however. More of a hypothetical really. I think he could be good for Qld if kept fit.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree that he could be good for Qld, but was merely comparing his ability to others. IMO he is a fair way down the list. I realise you were talking theoretically.

F

formeropenside

Good attacking centre; defence is a problem. If he'd defended better against the Maori he'd have a shot at being a backup 12 with Tahu/Cross.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think his main prob in defence is fitness. I know that he had some great defensive games for the reds this year and some shockers

T

TOCC

i hope the Reds keep Turinui, but if they dont its only going to fast track the inevitable, he is good for passing on his knowledge and experience, but realistically, Barnes and Hynes are only another season away from being able to control the backline without the help of Turinui.

I think thats where Latham failed at times, whilst he was brilliant in attack and exremely passionate i dont think he was ever able to control the backline, even though its not really his job from fullback as the most experienced player in the team he should have being contributing more.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
According to the Sunday papers Qld has signed up professional Junior Waratah Laurie Weeks, the Sydney Uni THP. It wasn't an official release, just a passing comment in a match report.

I'm not sure what kind of contract he got but it is probably a rookie contract.

He would have coveted the same gig for the Tahs I suppose but they preferred to sign up U/20 THP Daniel Palmer for 3 years.

He's only 22 (and 114 kgs) and has been holding down the THP spot for Sydney Uni all year - which is no sinecure. He looks like a decent prop, but I am no judge.

F

formeropenside

Lee Grant said:
According to the Sunday papers Qld has signed up professional Junior Waratah Laurie Weeks, the Sydney Uni THP. It wasn't an official release, just a passing comment in a match report.

I'm not sure what kind of contract he got but it is probably a rookie contract.

He would have coveted the same gig for the Tahs I suppose but they preferred to sign up U/20 THP Daniel Palmer for 3 years.

He's only 22 (and 114 kgs) and has been holding down the THP spot for Sydney Uni all year - which is no sinecure. He looks like a decent prop, but I am no judge.

Thanks Lee, there was some talk up here that he was being looked at, but thats interesting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think thats where Latham failed at times, whilst he was brilliant in attack and exremely passionate i dont think he was ever able to control the backline, even though its not really his job from fullback as the most experienced player in the team he should have being contributing more.

From all accounts he was good at helping out the wingers, particularly guys like Schif and Sailor who had no idea, but it would be near impossible to organise a backline from FB.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Roe officially retired now

Bugger. Not unexpected though. I guess Houston, Higginbotham and MMM are some 8 options for 2009.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
formeropenside said:
Noddy said:
Roe officially retired now

Bugger. Not unexpected though. I guess Houston, Higginbotham and MMM are some 8 options for 2009.

If Van Humphries swaps with Robinson, I'd have Luafutu and Robinson at 6 and 7, with Houston at 8 and MMM lock.

More likely it will be Luafutu 7, 3M 6, Houston 8. The real problem for the Reds is a lack of a quality and proven 7. Crofty is, by far and away, the biggest loss to the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.