• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

i think it would be in McMenimens best interests to remain at blindside for his wallaby chances, i think that is what Mooney will do as well.

1. Holmes
2. Fainga'a
3. Edwards
4. Horwill
5. ?
6. McMenimen
7. Robinson
8. Houston
9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13 .?
14. Hynes
15. Vaalu

i expect that we will see some player really flourish next year that the big names like latham, roe and croft have left. Its always dissapointing when experienced players leave but its also a great time to see the next generation step up and really find there voices.

I expect Holmes, Horwill and McMenimen to lead the forward pack and in the backline i think Cooper will really step up next year along with Hynes and Ioane.

Barnes is the quiet little general type, i think he will be happy for the players around him to do the talking whilst Barnes just leads by example.

Im also hoping that the NSW release Robinson so he can play for the Reds, he would be a great asset, and would fit in well amongst the young enthusiasm of the team. He has served his apprenticeship under Waugh and its now time for him to step up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ben Coridas has confirmed that he has had talks with the Reds. And the Tahs for that matter.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Barnes is the quiet little general type, i think he will be happy for the players around him to do the talking whilst Barnes just leads by example.

I don't think he is that quiet. He quite often shown on tv shouting orders to the other backs, and pumping up the team.

T

TOCC

Scotty said:

I don't think he is that quiet. He quite often shown on tv shouting orders to the other backs, and pumping up the team.
in terms of a 5/8 and setting up plays i think he is great, but in terms of a leadership role i dont think he has that personality, when Phil Mooney was talking about making the next Reds captain midway through the 2008 season he listed Horwill, Cooper and Moore as the cadidates, Moore then signed for the Brumbies and he chose Horwill. For whatever reason he doesnt think Barnes should be the captain either, i dont think he has the personality to give his team a rev-up or pull people into line.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Noddy said:
Ben Coridas has confirmed that he has had talks with the Reds. And the Tahs for that matter.

I hope that he goes to the Reds from a national point of view although he's been in the Tahs Academy for a while now. He is too much like Beau Robinson, the reserve Tah fetcher, to be of a lot of service unless there is an injury. He is taller than Beau and more likely to be used in a lineout, but I saw him for Eastwood the Saturday before last and he was a butterfingers a few times.

He's a bit of a penalty magnet but he has a good nose for the ball. I reckon that if he plays for the Reds he's got a good chance to start in a few games after he finds his professional feet from the bench, though Luafutu will get precedence early.

If he goes up there I'll wish him well.

PS - Who is the "Robinson" mentioned for the Reds in other posts? I've got a mental block.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Heard the rumour over the weekend that Ruan Smith had signed a Reds contract. Yep you just got yourself a SA Schoolboy LH fatty weighing 126 kgs and 18 year old. He'll play from 2009 in Aus.

F

formeropenside

PB, if true, thats a nice signing and the sort Qld should be looking to pick up - someone who has actually played and lived in Qld and understands a little of being a Queenslander.

I cant see myself why Qld would want southern dreck such as Coridas or Beau R. Yes, we need an openside, and Pocock has double-ratted us, but heck, lets see what we can find in Premier Rugby. Young Andrew Shaw could be the go, for a start. If the Reds have faith in local players again - buoyed by the odd import who wants to come north to better himself - then thats when we will see real improvement. Get Mowen back, for a start.

Still, we are short backrowers - MMM, Houston, Higginbotham and Luafutu are on the books, but two injuries out of those 4 and we are in trouble.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
PaarlBok said:
Heard the rumour over the weekend that Ruan Smith had signed a Reds contract. Yep you just got yourself a SA Schoolboy LH fatty weighing 126 kgs and 18 year old. He'll play from 2009 in Aus.
Shit PB, what's he been tucking into at the dinnertable over there? I remember him being big but not that size.... What height is he out of interest? From memory he had a brother who played at 12. Has he progressed?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
In local rugby Sunnybank, with most of the Reds back, annhialated GPS by more than 50 points in the 1st semi yesterday. They will be very hard to stop. Good win to Easts over minor premiers Brothers 32-16 in the major semi as well, and they now have a weeks rest while Brothers try to figure out a gameplan for the Bank. Not sure there is one... :nta:

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
In local rugby Sunnybank, with most of the Reds back, annhialated GPS by more than 50 points in the 1st semi yesterday. They will be very hard to stop. Good win to Easts over minor premiers Brothers 32-16 in the major semi as well, and they now have a weeks rest while Brothers try to figure out a gameplan for the Bank. Not sure there is one... :nta:

The Bank team from last weekend:

Albert Anae - Reds Academy, Aust U-20 reserve
Joseph Tufuga - MARC
Greg Holmes - Wallaby
James Kriukelis - MARC
Robert Simmons - Reds (no S14 time)
Ewan McGregor
Stuart Killen
Sua Lilomaiava
Sean Armstrong
Ben Gollings - Eng 7's
Junior Sovala - (ex-) Reds Academy
Ben Lucas - Reds, Aust A
Charlie Fetoai - Reds
Digby Ioane - Wallaby
John Dart (C) - Queensland (no S14)

And Dayna Edwards is playing for the Bank too, but has apparently made only one appearance due to a back injury.

In addition, they have lost Rodney Blake (Wallaby) to France, Josh Afu (Reds) to Tonga and Ole Avei (Reds) to Waikato NPC during the season. Reds Va'aulu and Veratau are also on Sunnybank's books, both of whom are currently out injured.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
PaarlBok said:

I mentioned Ruan Smith last year from the Oz Schools Championship. PB had asked me to look out for him and he was a fair enough player. He was LHP for TGS and got into the Qld II team. The things I remembered about him were that he was hard to stop when receiving a tap from a few metres out and was a dab hand at offloading the pill, especially with a flick pass.

I couldn't guess at how well he scrummaged, but his side of the Qld II scrum looked fairly solid and he got into the Oz A schools team which is a fair effort for a Yr.11 prop.

I was looking to see him in the Schools championship this year but PB reported that the family had split up and the boys returned to the RSA. In July PB told us that young Ruan was selected in the South African Schools team. Apparently he's been a bit of a try scoring machine by prop standards.

Next thing we hear from PB is a rumour that Ruan has been picked up by the Reds.

spectator said:
what's he been tucking into at the dinnertable over there? I remember him being big but not that size.... What height is he out of interest? From memory he had a brother who played at 12. Has he progressed?

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that he would be that big now, a year ago. He was tall though, not the greatest thing for a LHP.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Decided to put the Gimmie first team one here. Ruaan second from the right just before the big game on saturday. Look out for the tall timber Gimmie lock, 2,06m and taller then Matfield.
Picture019.jpg

Ruaan's twin prother JP played for Gimmies seccies and is the same size as him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Find his player profile on sarugby.net
Personal Details
Full Name Ruan-Henry
Nick Name Ruan
Surname Smith
Height 190cm
Weight 126kg
Birth Date 24 January 1990
Birth City Vryburg
Marital Status Single
Favourite Film Remember the Titans
Favourite Music Tracey Chapman
Favourite Food Lasagne, braaivleis
Primary School WA Joubert
Secondary School Paarl Gymnasium

Maybe the bolded part plays a roll this year but we do have something in Paarls air tho, make them grow bigger and faster. :thumb

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
PB, if true, thats a nice signing and the sort Qld should be looking to pick up - someone who has actually played and lived in Qld and understands a little of being a Queenslander.

I thought you'd be hoping he'd be committed to becoming a quality rugby player in an attempt to forge a successful rugby career. And I suspect he'll remain a Jaapie until the day he dies. As he should.

The bit about "southern dreck" was uncalled for; cut it out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see that the Broncos and Reds are both after schoolboys centre Dane Gagai from the BBC school.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24126130-23217,00.html

I saw him play in the recent Oz Schools comp but he didn't take my eye. He was a reserve for the Qld Is team and since NSW and Qld select their teams these days in this order: Ist XV, 2nd XV, 2nd XV reserves, 1st XV reserves, it means that he was a 4th ranked player.

But this is neither here not there if he is in Yr.11 at school.

The only thing I can remember about his play is that he missed a goal kick from right in front. He came off the bench and played 10.

T

TOCC

The reds seem to be chasing plenty of props, laurie weeks, ruan smith... i have to admit that i dont know why, the schoolboy and premier grade scrummagers dont seem that bad to me.

what about that prop from the sunshine coast, he is apparently pretty good, and sam cummins from Easts is quality as well, only 20yrs old.

T

TOCC

in regards to Ruan Smith, i just found a article on him

http://www.rugby365.com/schools/news/1054140.htm

and quote "Ruan and his brother have both been offered two-year contracts by Western Province and will be attending their Academy in Stellenbosch next year"....

so this rumour is looking pretty scetchy at the moment, although by the sounds of it he did really enjoy his time with australian rugby.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
TOCC said:
in regards to Ruan Smith, i just found a article on him

http://www.rugby365.com/schools/news/1054140.htm

and quote "Ruan and his brother have both been offered two-year contracts by Western Province and will be attending their Academy in Stellenbosch next year"....

so this rumour is looking pretty scetchy at the moment, although by the sounds of it he did really enjoy his time with australian rugby.
I'll talk to him again. I saw him last friday but forget to ask him. Just before Craven Week he mention the Queensland one to me and sound pretty eager to go to Aus and then the rumour runs over the weekend again after he played a awesome game of rugby. Sorry if I mislead you lot. Maybe he still want to look at his options after getting SA Schools.

EDIT: Will be vrekken glad if he stay in Stormers & WP because we need this kind of beef stock having lost our promising TH from last year, Rossouw de Klerk to the Bulls. Talked to his dad over the weekend and according to hime thats where the fatty factory is.

T

TOCC

although in that quoute, it only says that the brothers "have been offered two-year contracts", the bit at the end has just being added on under the presumption that they will take the contracts.

he souds like a quality player and i would be happy if he signed though, although if he did make the wallabies and made a world class prop we would never hear the end of it from springbok fans.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
TOCC said:
he souds like a quality player and i would be happy if he signed though, although if he did make the wallabies and made a world class prop we would never hear the end of it from springbok fans.
To be honest if SA players pick that root I'll never blame them. Its a career move these days and I also have a son that will move by the end of the year.

The Smiths are identically twins and myself pretty sure they will follow one another. They also have a small brother that was close to national Aus colours in swimming during their stay in Aus. Not sure if he stayed with his mum.

Status
Not open for further replies.