• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Pre-Season Friendly: Ulster 24 v 0 Queensland
It was an exciting night of rugby at Ravenhill as Ulster Rugby clocked up 24 points to 0 against visiting Super 14 side Queensland Reds.
Ulster dominated the first half of the match, consistently creating scoring opportunities that left the crowd on the edge of their seat however Queensland Red's solid defensive line meant that the points didn?t come easily for the home side. After 17 minutes of play a speedy break from Isaac Boss seemed sure to reap rewards as his pass eventually found Timoci Nagusa down the right wing but the Fijian speedster was brought down just feet from touch by two of the Red?s defence.
Queensland reacted with some impressive play of their own as they took possession to push Ulster deep into their own 22. A penalty kick to touch helped the visitors surge closer to Ulster?s score line but they were unable to capitalise after a long kick from the boot of Ian Humphreys cleared the ball from danger. Ulster claimed the first points of the night in the 24th minute with a penalty kick from the boot of Clinton Schifcofske.

The scoreboard still read 3-0 as the halftime whistle blew with neither side able to gain the upper hand to cross the whitewash.

It was only four minutes into the second half that Scottish International Rob Dewey took the first try of the night after an impressive run from Clinton Schifcofske, who added his own 2 points with the conversion to extend Ulster?s advantage.

Then it was Ulster?s young talents time to shine. Calculated play from Darren Cave helped him to storm through the Red?s defence to off load to Chris Cochrane. The Ireland Under 19?s and Ulster Academy player touched down for his first try in a senior Ulster jersey in the 56th minute.

Schifcofske was on target again with the conversion to bring the score line to 17-0 with less than 30 minutes left of play.

Both sides produced some solid opportunities with Queensland narrowly missing out getting some points on the score board several times. The Super 14 side almost held their ground until full time but as the clock counted down the intensity remained high. Paddy Wallace managed to cross the whitewash in the 80th minute but was unable to ground the ball, however it was only seconds later as the match entered injury time that Ulster snatched their final try of the night.

After narrowly missing out a number of times throughout the night Timoci Nagusa finally clocked up a well deserved 5 points as he touched down for his new club. Paddy Wallace was on hand to convert and seal the Ulstermen?s victory

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks Former. Not a great Start for Qld but a good learning curve for the young fellas.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Jebus! Ulster were already the worst team in Europe and now they're coached by Matt Williams. What can you learn from that except, "we are so fucked."

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Erh I'm thinking you're a Glass half empty kind of Guy. Cheer up we got the whole rest of the weekend off. Well I have anyway.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Scarfman said:
Jebus! Ulster were already the worst team in Europe and now they're coached by Matt Williams. What can you learn from that except, "we are so fucked."
It's not that good Scarfie but the Reds team are minus Edwards, Fainga, Lucas, Cooper, McMenniman, Hynes and Vaalu.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
More importantly, they are also missing Horwill. Yesterday's test makes me realise how much of a loss Moore is for you.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Knew I'd forgotten someone. :-[

Yes Cutter, Moore is a huge loss. Hopefully we get one more value year out of Hardman while Faiinga and Hanson get up to speed.

T

TOCC

they are missing Hynes, Horwill, Barnes, Mcmenimen, Edwards, Lucas, Hardman, Cooper and Vaalu, all regular starters throughout the season. I wouldnt read to much into the losss.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The Ulster match from a Qld perspective:

QR Reds commence European tour

Picture from www.rugbypicture.co.ukMonday, 25 August 2008
The future looked bright for the QR Reds despite Phil Mooney?s side kicking off their four game development tour of Ireland and France with a 24-0 loss to a strong Ulster side in Belfast.

Queensland matched Ulster for the majority of the game despite their youth and lack of experience compared to the Magner?s League side, however were given a harsh lesson in life at the top end of professional rugby.

The young Reds side was valiant in defeat with a majority of players making their debut at senior level, while a near full-strength Ulster are less than a week away from the start of their regular season.

A vocal crowd ensured the home side started the game quickly, but the Reds forward pack matched their experienced counterparts, with 21-year old Scott Higginbotham having a standout opening 40-minutes.

It may have taken 20-minutes and some desperate defence in the face of strong running from the Ulster back-line, but the QR Reds built their way into the contest and were unlucky not to get more from some good phase play, which ended one metre from the line.

Impressively, Queensland forced Ulster to kick clear and despite building another strong phase of play, they could not make the breakthrough.

Sloppiness in the tackle at the wrong end of the field from the Reds gifted the home side a penalty attempt and an opportunity to opening the scoring.

Ironically it was Ulster?s recently signed former QR Reds player Clinton Schifcofske who slotted the penalty between the posts to give his side the lead.

Schifcofske?s opposite number Aidan Toua was beginning to pop up everywhere on the pitch and a set-play with Ben Gollings almost carved a hole in the Ulster defence.

Ulster looked certain to strike next after a break down the right side of the field, but was narrowly avoided when Digby Ioane followed up Scott Higginbotham?s original challenge on the attacking player.

Minutes later Toua came out of nowhere to intercept a certain try clinching pass just metres from line.

Fittingly the half ended with Higginbotham again denying Ulster?s Fijian winger Timoci Nagusa a certain try with a ferocious tackle on the line.

Small details and concentration make all the difference at this level and a formation changing substitution at half time from the home side stung the Reds just three minutes into the second period.

Substitute Rob Dewey touched down on the left after a quick Ulster move and Schifcofske put away the resulting conversion.

Tuoa again put himself in the limelight with another dazzling run as the Reds looked to fight their way back into the contest, but Ulster struck again with Chris Cochrane scoring unchallenged after some enterprising play by outside-centre Darren Cave.

While the result was beyond doubt midway through the second period, the young Red's debutants continued to impress with a slick backline movement with substitute Rob Davis almost making a name for himself with a chip and chase down the right side.

The chance was snuffed out by Ulster however and with substitutions and injuries coming quicker than scoring opportunities at this stage of the contest, the game fell away into a scrappy affair.

Both Davis and Van Humphries were impressive with try saving tackles on separate occasions in the final minutes, however Ulster were not to be denied a third try and Nagusa made it third time lucky in the corner to flatter the home side with a score-line that did not reflect the effort put in by visitors.

Ulster 24 (Rob Dewey, Chris Cochrane, Timoci Nagusa tries, Clinton Schifcofske pen, 2 con, Paddy Wallace con) d QR Reds 0.

T

TOCC

yeah the QRU arent know for being exactly forthcoming in match reports or providing updates on there website... its frustrating

T

TOCC

at least the ARU finally have the right idea about what web-content actually is, they have really improved there website the last 2 years, whereas the QRU website has had nothing more then a facelift at the start of every season.

F

formeropenside

QR Reds prepare for clash with Connacht
Tuesday, 26 August 2008
QR Red?s Coach Phil Mooney has made multiple changes for tomorrow?s clash against Connacht as his side looks secure their first victory on a four match development tour of Ireland and France.

Mooney has opted to make changes for Tuesday evenings match at the Sportsground, despite his side turning in a positive display in their 24-0 loss to Ulster.

?We were definitely happy with the effort on Friday night, considering the lack of preparation time we had and the young age of most of the players, but we made too many turnover mistakes,? Mooney said.

?We certainly want to win games, but there are no competition points on offer here and it is about exposing the young guys to different environments.

?In saying that though, we want to see an improvement against Connacht, but I think the players know that themselves. I was happy to hear some of (the players) tell us that they felt the game was very quick.

?Compared to our Super 14 games it was not a fast game, but it was faster than the club games these young guys would be used to.?

Despite some changes, The Red?s have stuck with the experienced core of players they had against Ulster, with Van Humphries and Greg Holmes receiving praise from the coach.

Mooney has included the four players who saw no action against Ulster into the 22-man squad, meaning every member on tour will have match experience going into the third game against Irish powerhouse Leinster.

?After this game all the lads in the squad will have had a game under their belt and we will be in a better position for selection for the third game, which I think will be the hardest of the three,? he said.

?It was not intentional to have Leinster as the third game, but it is good the way it has worked out.?

As Magners League champions, Leinster represent the toughest challenge of the three Irish teams on the tour, but the Reds? are not losing sight of the Connacht side they face tomorrow in very different conditions to last Friday.

?It actually has been pretty windy here for training and if it is wet it will certainly be an interesting challenge for the lads,? Mooney said.

?When you are playing in the Super 14 competition you encounter numerous different playing environments so if the weather is totally different to Friday night than it will only add to what the players take from it.

?In terms of the actual Connacht team we are going to be playing tomorrow I think they are going to be very physical and it should be another good test.?

QR Reds? Squad:
1.Shon Siemonek, 2. James Hanson, 3. Jack Kennedy, 4. Van Humphries, 5. Robert Simmons, 6. Scott Higginbotham, 7. Poutusi Luafutu, 8. Leroy Houston, 9. Will Genia, 10. Ben Gollings, 11. Aidan Toua, 12. Anthony Fainga'a, 13. Morgan Turinui (C ), 14.Luke Morahan, 15. Rod Davies, 16.Albert Anae, 17.Greg Holmes, 18.Adam Byrnes, 19.Jake Schatz, 20.Brendan McKibbin, 21.Jono Lance, 22. James Harvey.

I wonder how Jake Schatz will go off the bench. No openside replacement on the bench that I can see.

T

TOCC

I dont think there is any doubt over Houstons potential, but that 12months he took off professional rugby really damaged his development. I think with a full season behind him(2008), we should see Houston improve quite a lot in 2009. At the moment, he is carrying around about 5kg to much i think, he does enough to retain his position, but thats only out of lack of any alternative.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
FYI:

http://www.qru.com.au/qru/qru.rugby/page/66684

Bit worrying, even if it was a half dirt tracker team. Admittedly it's not a strong Reds squad over there, but it still has some front line players.

I wouldn't have expected any dazzling wins, but despite the positive spin on the losses by the QRU, it doesn't look too promising.

I guess the opposition are better than a tour of Argentina, for example. But I wonder what would've been better for a developmental tour - playing some decent Euro teams or amateur from Argentina. Probably the former, but really, it does create some embarassment for the Reds brand (if, indeed, there even was one).

Status
Not open for further replies.