• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2025

Cole

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely that’s a gee up! If true that’s a huge fuck up from Souths.

He won’t play much club rugby in 2025 but from an optics point of view it’s not good.

I don’t believe it.
From what I've heard he has informed Garrick a little while ago he will not be at Souths next year and has been in negotiations with several QPR clubs. Supposedly agreed to Brothers in last day or so. All hearsay at this stage but presumably if true will hear something official soon.

Again all hearsay but I know some people involved at Souths and it sounds like a lot of their colts team this year are looking elsewhere too, hopefully for the sake of the club they can hang on to them but I do think they are going to lose some of their better young talent

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
From what I've heard he has informed Garrick a little while ago he will not be at Souths next year and has been in negotiations with several QPR clubs. Supposedly agreed to Brothers in last day or so. All hearsay at this stage but presumably if true will hear something official soon.

Again all hearsay but I know some people involved at Souths and it sounds like a lot of their colts team this year are looking elsewhere too, hopefully for the sake of the club they can hang on to them but I do think they are going to lose some of their better young talent
Any idea what the motivation was to leave Souths?

Cole

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any idea what the motivation was to leave Souths?
My understanding is a number of the Premier Grade team weren't that happy with the coaching/trainings over the last year or so, and Cian and Luke brought a number of guys like HMP through and are very close still. I think there has been a fair bit of concern among the playing group (probably mainly colts I thiink, but also some seniors too) about them being sacked, especially since they won Colts 1 and 2 and are well respected by the playing group, and what next season will look like for them. I don't know HMP personally so can't comment to him, just general comments you hear

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
The backup flyhalf hole at the Reds due to JOC (James O'Connor) and Creighton leaving provides the same issue now for The Filth as both those players would likely have been playing at least the back end of the season for them in 2025 if they were still at the Reds.

Understandably if Pup McCormack had a chance to secure HMP at Crosby I am sure he would be keen. But again, not sure how much club rugby HMP will be playing from now on. You'd think he's in the Reds team every week if he's fit and depending how he goes, could even get a shout in a Wallabies squad.

If the rumour is true, it's more of an issue for Souths and what it means for other players who might follow.

But I am still not convinced.

Reactions: Ras

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
The backup flyhalf hole at the Reds due to JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Creighton leaving provides the same issue now for The Filth as both those players would likely have been playing at least the back end of the season for them in 2025 if they were still at the Reds.

Understandably if Pup McCormack had a chance to secure HMP at Crosby I am sure he would be keen. But again, not sure how much club rugby HMP will be playing from now on. You'd think he's in the Reds team every week if he's fit and depending how he goes, could even get a shout in a Wallabies squad.

If the rumour is true, it's more of an issue for Souths and what it means for other players who might follow.

But I am still not convinced.
I heard he was going to the Red Heavies

Elwee's Loo

Frank Row (1)
Heard today HMP has committed to Brothers
I tell you what, boys, 2025 will be a different landscape. With RA and QRU putting a fence around their players' clubs, club rugby will be full of opportunities for club players to get a shot at Prems in 2025.

I am unsure which clubs are best poised to take advantage of that, but I reckon any club that has nurtured its Colts program and exposed some of its 2nd—and even 3rd-grade players to Prems in 2024 will be clubs to look at.

I think Norths and Bond Uni are the clubs to watch in 2025. Both coached well with solid Colt programs.

I am not sure how Uni and Brothers will go as neither of their Colts 1 teams made finals, unlike them.

Souths are in trouble but what is on my mind is if all those Souths Colts, or many of them are going to follow their former coaches to Wests, how will that go after the fracas in the GF? My namesake will have plenty of talent on his hands but will also need to master the man management side of things as now many of those personalities are under the same tent. Does anyone know how many of the 2024 GF team are remaining at Sylvan Road?

Easts appear to be quiet but Tony McGahan is a great inclusion for them.

No idea what going on at Sunnybank. Any info?

GPS will be there are thereabouts with that Prems Coaching crew.

Cole

Allen Oxlade (6)
I heard he was going to the Red Heavies
He was speaking with UQ as well as a couple of other clubs too, Looks like it might have been a bit premature to say he's committed to Brothers as I was speaking with someone from another club who has been in negotiations with him and they believe he is still on the market as such and were very hopeful of signing him. Not sure where he will play next year but it seems clear it won't be Souths.

Wouldn't make much sense for him to go to UQ as only likely to play club post Super season and they have Lynagh there anyway in the same boat

hdnmstsnr

Peter Burge (5)
Matt Gibbon and Josh Canham are already aligned with bond. They’ve been playing for the bullsharks the last couple of years whilst they were with the rebs
Canham actually went to Bond not as part of a Rebels, Reds or RA agreement, but through a friendship he and Rhian Stowers developed when both were playing for Shute Shield club, Eastwood, in 2021. He would spend the Shute Shield breaks staying with Stowers and both would seek approval to play for a local GCDRU club (Griffith Uni Colleges Knights) on bye weekends, as part of their own 'grassroots' give back. By default, this made the Rebels demise an almost immediate gain for the Reds. Literally 'from little things, big things grow'. Canham will be a huge asset for Bond in 2025.

Last edited:

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I guess we won't be seeing the 100 point rule anytime soon.

We won’t be seeing this rule full stop.

QPR has established itself as the premier comp over shute shield because of the no limitations on team lists

did you catch the controversy last season when easts rugby got in a bit of hot water for starting a test representative prop who had previously played down there. Whole bunch of nothing arguing from opponents because of the rule book.

In QPR we get a last minute inclusion of someone like Taneila Tupou and the whole competition gets excited

Why would Stan rugby who produce the broadcast for club rugby want weaker teams?

Interested Viewer

Bob McCowan (2)
We won’t be seeing this rule full stop.

QPR has established itself as the premier comp over shute shield because of the no limitations on team lists

did you catch the controversy last season when easts rugby got in a bit of hot water for starting a test representative prop who had previously played down there. Whole bunch of nothing arguing from opponents because of the rule book.

In QPR we get a last minute inclusion of someone like Taneila Tupou and the whole competition gets excited

Why would Stan rugby who produce the broadcast for club rugby want weaker teams?
I actually like not having the rule. I do however think that Reds moving between clubs is actually bad for the comp supporters of QPR clubs like the tribalism and when say a Seru Uru moves from Easts to Wests or a Hamish Stewart from Bond to Brothers sets a poor example.

The Reds should be trying to make the comp as equal as possible wherever possible. I want jeopardy in the comp.
Guys like a JTA have had a great impact on Norths.
UQ and Brothers have a natural advantage as they have more Reds so at the end of each season, they know that they have a number or Rep level players coming back.
Other teams face a huge drain as the rep level players have to leave the state to progress.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I get where you're coming from South, one of the big reasons why Club rugby does so "well" is the tribalism aspect. Allowing clubs to suck up all the marketable talent is a bit crap especially when the destination club has no real connection to a player.

Bring back the old "Met North/East/South/West" selection and let the catholics (Nudgee and Terrace) along with Grammar feed Brothers.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds should be trying to make the comp as equal as possible wherever possible. I want jeopardy in the comp.
Guys like a JTA have had a great impact on Norths.
UQ and Brothers have a natural advantage as they have more Reds so at the end of each season, they know that they have a number or Rep level players coming back.
Other teams face a huge drain as the rep level players have to leave the state to progress.

What is a natural advantage?? Do you mean better recruitment and retention pathways?

I am all for an even competition, but I am also not a fan of the handout mentality that a few people have. As long as the QRU aren't deliberately loading clubs (and I know that has been claimed in the past and has happened) then I would prefer the QRU don't have much say at all in terms of where a player ends up. The QPR is still an amateur competition don't forget and until the QRU decide to change that, the clubs should be held responsible for their issues with recruitment.

Interested Viewer

Bob McCowan (2)
What is a natural advantage?? Do you mean better recruitment and retention pathways?

I am all for an even competition, but I am also not a fan of the handout mentality that a few people have. As long as the QRU aren't deliberately loading clubs (and I know that has been claimed in the past and has happened) then I would prefer the QRU don't have much say at all in terms of where a player ends up. The QPR is still an amateur competition don't forget and until the QRU decide to change that, the clubs should be held responsible for their issues with recruitment.
Glad you are all for an even comp but the comp is Shamateur not amateur.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I tell you what, boys, 2025 will be a different landscape. With RA and QRU putting a fence around their players' clubs, club rugby will be full of opportunities for club players to get a shot at Prems in 2025.

I am unsure which clubs are best poised to take advantage of that, but I reckon any club that has nurtured its Colts program and exposed some of its 2nd—and even 3rd-grade players to Prems in 2024 will be clubs to look at.

I think Norths and Bond Uni are the clubs to watch in 2025. Both coached well with solid Colt programs.

I am not sure how Uni and Brothers will go as neither of their Colts 1 teams made finals, unlike them.

Souths are in trouble but what is on my mind is if all those Souths Colts, or many of them are going to follow their former coaches to Wests, how will that go after the fracas in the GF? My namesake will have plenty of talent on his hands but will also need to master the man management side of things as now many of those personalities are under the same tent. Does anyone know how many of the 2024 GF team are remaining at Sylvan Road?

Easts appear to be quiet but Tony McGahan is a great inclusion for them.

No idea what going on at Sunnybank. Any info?

GPS will be there are thereabouts with that Prems Coaching crew.
Do you really think Dumper McGahan is lying idle down at Bottomley? Will be interesting to see how the Tigers line up in 2025. They were hit hard last year with retirement and boys heading to Canberra with Mowen. I think with McGahan involved they will be more competitive in 2025. Any chance Seru might head back there?