• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2025

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I actually like not having the rule. I do however think that Reds moving between clubs is actually bad for the comp supporters of QPR clubs like the tribalism and when say a Seru Uru moves from Easts to Wests or a Hamish Stewart from Bond to Brothers sets a poor example.

Seru Uru left the champion tigers for the upcoming bulldogs.

Hamish Stewart rightly or wrongly left Bond because he got a reds contract in Brisbane and probably weighed up the M1 commute times

I doubt these decisions are bad for the comp… and you can’t keep an unhappy player at a club simply because they have a reds contract.

JRugby2

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seru Uru left the champion tigers for the upcoming bulldogs.

Hamish Stewart rightly or wrongly left Bond because he got a reds contract in Brisbane and probably weighed up the M1 commute times

I doubt these decisions are bad for the comp… and you can’t keep an unhappy player at a club simply because they have a reds contract.
And if anything it can do as much to build tribalism as it can destroy it. Plenty of examples of supporters of one team galvanising around the squad in pure spite of someone leaving.

Elwee's Loo

Frank Row (1)
Do you really think Dumper McGahan is lying idle down at Bottomley? Will be interesting to see how the Tigers line up in 2025. They were hit hard last year with retirement and boys heading to Canberra with Mowen. I think with McGahan involved they will be more competitive in 2025. Any chance Seru might head back there?
Not at all. I am just not hearing much about their recruiting and agree it will be an interesting year for the Tigers. Do you rate Simon Craig? Has he done much as a coach? I do not know what Seru Uru is doing, I do not know him, but I think he will play little to no club rugby in 2025. Outside of Dobbins and Smith hoping to NSW I have heard a club in Shute Shield is interested in several Wests players. See what happens?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
That’s my point the fact that we aren’t hearing much out of the Tigers doesn’t necessarily mean that they aren’t doing much - historically the Tigers are never out of contention for too many years but they haven’t really threatened since the COVID premiership.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I have heard a club in Shute Shield is interested in several Wests players. See what happens?

& what does the shute shield provide that the qpr doesn’t?

maybe a pathway to a super rugby contract (considering how much worse the tahs are to the reds)

The switch has worked out well for guys like Liam Usher, Cooper Whiteside who both contributed immediately to their shute clubs but both those guys aren’t any closer to super rugby and don’t have the support networks of their families in Brisbane.

my point being… have to be extra green grass (ie work & accom lined up) to leave a Brisbane 3rd tier club for a Sydney 3rd tier club.

Watchingrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I tell you what, boys, 2025 will be a different landscape. With RA and QRU putting a fence around their players' clubs, club rugby will be full of opportunities for club players to get a shot at Prems in 2025.

I am unsure which clubs are best poised to take advantage of that, but I reckon any club that has nurtured its Colts program and exposed some of its 2nd—and even 3rd-grade players to Prems in 2024 will be clubs to look at.

I think Norths and Bond Uni are the clubs to watch in 2025. Both coached well with solid Colt programs.

I am not sure how Uni and Brothers will go as neither of their Colts 1 teams made finals, unlike them.

Souths are in trouble but what is on my mind is if all those Souths Colts, or many of them are going to follow their former coaches to Wests, how will that go after the fracas in the GF? My namesake will have plenty of talent on his hands but will also need to master the man management side of things as now many of those personalities are under the same tent. Does anyone know how many of the 2024 GF team are remaining at Sylvan Road?

Easts appear to be quiet but Tony McGahan is a great inclusion for them.

No idea what going on at Sunnybank. Any info?

GPS will be there are thereabouts with that Prems Coaching crew.
I tell you what, boys, 2025 will be a different landscape. With RA and QRU putting a fence around their players' clubs, club rugby will be full of opportunities for club players to get a shot at Prems in 2025.

I am unsure which clubs are best poised to take advantage of that, but I reckon any club that has nurtured its Colts program and exposed some of its 2nd—and even 3rd-grade players to Prems in 2024 will be clubs to look at.

I think Norths and Bond Uni are the clubs to watch in 2025. Both coached well with solid Colt programs.

I am not sure how Uni and Brothers will go as neither of their Colts 1 teams made finals, unlike them.

Souths are in trouble but what is on my mind is if all those Souths Colts, or many of them are going to follow their former coaches to Wests, how will that go after the fracas in the GF? My namesake will have plenty of talent on his hands but will also need to master the man management side of things as now many of those personalities are under the same tent. Does anyone know how many of the 2024 GF team are remaining at Sylvan Road?

Easts appear to be quiet but Tony McGahan is a great inclusion for them.

No idea what going on at Sunnybank. Any info?

GPS will be there are thereabouts with that Prems Coaching crew.

Watchingrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
He was speaking with UQ as well as a couple of other clubs too, Looks like it might have been a bit premature to say he's committed to Brothers as I was speaking with someone from another club who has been in negotiations with him and they believe he is still on the market as such and were very hopeful of signing him. Not sure where he will play next year but it seems clear it won't be Souths.

Wouldn't make much sense for him to go to UQ as only likely to play club post Super season and they have Lynagh there anyway in the same boat
0…….the number of games Lynagh played for the Heavies this season

Ras

Allen Oxlade (6)
& what does the shute shield provide that the qpr doesn’t?

maybe a pathway to a super rugby contract (considering how much worse the tahs are to the reds)

The switch has worked out well for guys like Liam Usher, Cooper Whiteside who both contributed immediately to their shute clubs but both those guys aren’t any closer to super rugby and don’t have the support networks of their families in Brisbane.

my point being… have to be extra green grass (ie work & accom lined up) to leave a Brisbane 3rd tier club for a Sydney 3rd tier club.
Every ex QLD QPR player I've spoken too have said that the money is down in Sydney.

Blokes get paid $500 odd a week for a start down there. Money talks and whether the competition is better or worse it always seems like a step in the right direction on the rugby CV to have a paid gig. I dare say it's the reason the majority of AUS MLR and div2/3 Japan and European players come from the shute shield.

Elwee's Loo

Frank Row (1)
Every ex QLD QPR player I've spoken too have said that the money is down in Sydney.

Blokes get paid $500 odd a week for a start down there. Money talks and whether the competition is better or worse it always seems like a step in the right direction on the rugby CV to have a paid gig. I dare say it's the reason the majority of AUS MLR and div2/3 Japan and European players come from the shute shield.
There's plenty of Rand being thrown around QPR as well - Souths put rand-in-the hand, talk of low double figures for at least 2 players this season but still no Premiership. I agree with you on those Shute numbers as I've heard that from numerous people. Do Brothers pay players?

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's plenty of Rand being thrown around QPR as well - Souths put rand-in-the hand, talk of low double figures for at least 2 players this season but still no Premiership. I agree with you on those Shute numbers as I've heard that from numerous people. Do Brothers pay players?
You can't even get the currency correct, I'm not sure your intel would be very accurate.

Ras

Allen Oxlade (6)
At least they made the finals this year and they did look much improved over the last three years so souths "were" on the right track. Not even god knows how they'll roll out next year based on this forum.

Not 100% sure but the Prems don't pay subs and brothers have a couple of share houses they have up for cheap or no rent to players. I imagine their team fall into three categories: rep players just want to be there to give back, developed players from colts or Ring ins who have come for a better chance of a premiership and/or contract?

I guess their are really only three clubs in this situation at the moment who don't need to offer cash as the chance of going Pro is significantly higher. Wests, with the (Formerly) Rebels. UQ and Brothers with the Reds. I guess in the past you'd throw Easts with the Brumbies connection in the basket as well.

Is this just a consequence of a poor spread of pro talent in the QPR or each clubs efforts to build a relationship with a professional program?

Elwee's Loo

Frank Row (1)
At least they made the finals this year and they did look much improved over the last three years so souths "were" on the right track. Not even god knows how they'll roll out next year based on this forum.

Not 100% sure but the Prems don't pay subs and brothers have a couple of share houses they have up for cheap or no rent to players. I imagine their team fall into three categories: rep players just want to be there to give back, developed players from colts or Ring ins who have come for a better chance of a premiership and/or contract?

I guess their are really only three clubs in this situation at the moment who don't need to offer cash as the chance of going Pro is significantly higher. Wests, with the (Formerly) Rebels. UQ and Brothers with the Reds. I guess in the past you'd throw Easts with the Brumbies connection in the basket as well.

Is this just a consequence of a poor spread of pro talent in the QPR or each clubs efforts to build a relationship with a professional program?
Thanks.

Where would Bond and GPS fit into being clubs that either offer dollars (not Rand :) ) or other benefits such as education or accommodation etc? They too have a share of rep players, facilities and good coaching, especially Bond.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

I know plenty of Clubs paying a base $400 but a win is $800 and that's the starting point. Senior/tenured guys get more.

They are all aligned with Unis now as well and help with enrolment. The Southern Districts share houses sound like a lot of fun back in the day when they had some qlders like Rohan Saifoloi running around forever with guys like Holloway.

Points system has been great. Worst thing for the SS was Sydney Uni winning every year with the exception of Eastwood every few years for 15 years. The fact they paid Folau money (quite a bit) to be listed/aligned for them but never play was shit. He could have done wonders at the time for the Two Blues just in a bit of promo like TPN his whole career. Points system has seen 6 different premiers in last decade and the decade before that only 3 with Uni winning 8/10 and it almost killed some very old Clubs.

Reactions: Ras

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
L
I know plenty of Clubs paying a base $400 but a win is $800 and that's the starting point. Senior/tenured guys get more.

They are all aligned with Unis now as well and help with enrolment. The Southern Districts share houses sound like a lot of fun back in the day when they had some qlders like Rohan Saifoloi running around forever with guys like Holloway.

Points system has been great. Worst thing for the SS was Sydney Uni winning every year with the exception of Eastwood every few years for 15 years. The fact they paid Folau money (quite a bit) to be listed/aligned for them but never play was shit. He could have done wonders at the time for the Two Blues just in a bit of promo like TPN his whole career. Points system has seen 6 different premiers in last decade and the decade before that only 3 with Uni winning 8/10 and it almost killed some very old Clubs.

What’s the revenue sources in Shute shield G.O.R?

paying Shute shield players doesn’t seem like something that is sustainable for Oz rugby but then again me and others have always cried foul about the unfair playing field with national grassroots and commitment to the Sydney eastern suburbs so whatever you say I won’t be suprised.

wish QPR had a couple of brinks trucks and gravy trains to pay our cattle

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
L

paying Shute shield players doesn’t seem like something that is sustainable for Oz rugby but then again me and others have always cried foul about the unfair playing field with national grassroots and commitment to the Sydney eastern suburbs so whatever you say I won’t be suprised.

Benefactors mostly. I don't think they are spending anything from RA or NSW.

Uni is uni and has their own set up and networks as well as Buildcorp and the Sukkars who do a lot in QLD also.

Southern Districts had the Tynan motor group and it goes on and is similar at others when you have a look.

For all the crap about the East in Sydney and granted Randwick have held a lot of sway. Norths, Gordon and Eastwood from the North Shore/North West have outperformed Randwick and Eastern Suburbs easily for decades. I'll give it to Easts though. They've built an off the field earning vehicle (The field) that will sustain them well past any individuals that want a prem for their side.

JRugby2

Billy Sheehan (19)
L

Steven Hoiles spoke about this on one of the Stan rugby shows.

Every club in Sydney has a Salary Cap of $200K - whether they have that money to spend or not is another thing, but that is their leveller.

The challenge is though if you're a prospective player or new Tahs signing looking for a club, naturally your manager will push you towards the USyds, Wicks, Beasts who actually have that coin on hand creating this uneven playing field.

There will never be a truly fair system though. Say you made a rule where no players can be paid, that money would be redirected in ways that still give clubs a competitive advantage - be it through sponsorships, field/facilities, etc.