• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Confucius Say

Colin Windon (37)
Agree. Finals on a sandpit at Crosby.

Brothers should incorporate into their development project the same playing surface as Eastern Suburbs rugby in Sydney.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
I can't speak to that specific technology but I am wary of synthetic turf. Higher injury risk, boiling hot in the sun, and friction burns.

Feels like choosing the lesser of two evils between synthetic and the current set-up at Brothers.

Last edited:

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
I mean I appreciate that link is effectively an ad for the company, but it specifically calls out that Easts saw a reduction in injury among it's playing group and that the technology (using cork) means it's significantly cooler to the point it doesn't need irrigation to cool it down.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah purely speculation on my part. Would be interested to see a breakdown in the data they're using to claim a reduction in injury (e.g. a significant fall in contusions and cuts paired with a minor rise in ligament and joint injuries would still count as a reduction in injury).

Also interested in if denial of "problems with excess heat" means the field is as cool as natural grass or if it's just less hot compared to typical artificial turf.

Venues and councils tend to love artificial turf because it's far cheaper in the long term compared to the maintenance of natural grass and they can flog it with as much use as they want even if it does have drawbacks.

My personal opinion is well-maintained natural grass > hybrid > poorly-maintained grass > 3g synthetic > 2g synthetic.

Rugby follower

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely Brothers aren't hosting finals on that dirt/sand track. It would be a bit silly to press on with it in that state.
I imagine the sand pit will turn into a mud pit after the rain we have just had. Even worse some really hot days forecast will turn the mud into concrete. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Mud is not a problem at Crosby..... Sand,....Lots of sand.
1723631255432.png

Confucius Say

Colin Windon (37)
my son recently played in the NSW u16 schools tournament at Easts in Sydney, he wasnt a fan of the field, we are still dealing with burns on the elbows.
Sorry to hear that. Easts won the Shute Shield minor premiership and so have watched plenty of their matches. Haven’t seen any players with extra protection for knees and elbows.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
Nothing really does the job well for turf burn. Rigid strapping tape works best for covering preexisting cuts but it restricts your movement and tends to come off on knees and elbows. Compression sleeves aren't fun in hot weather and the ball slides off them easier compared to bare skin on your arms.

Confucius Say

Colin Windon (37)
Brothers v Wests should be a fascinating battle at Rue Yoku tomorrow.
Young guns Werchon and Gordon v the experience of O’Connor.
Brothers have a big pack and a lock playing 7.
Wests kicking game might get them home.

UQ and Souths at Stade de Bank - the last time they played 109 points were scored. Defence was the perpendicular thing surrounding the ground. I am warming to a Souths upset because they have a far superior back row. But UQ win if their backs get a share of possession.

Good luck to all finals teams. Treat the opponents and officials with respect and it will be a great weekend.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The Flyhalf gets picked on a lot and most of it is unwarranted
No axe to grind against brothers but they always get the rub of the green ‍
I want rugby to be successful in Australia and what the provinces don’t understand is that having the same couple of clubs at the bottom each year and the same three or four clubs making finals each year people get bored.
They then find something else to watch, follow and play

♂️
Wasn’t last year their first premiership in 7-8 years and only their second in 10?

From someone sitting away from it it seems like Brothers worked very hard on developing players. The recruitment battle seems pretty spirited and they seem to do well, but most guys come in late teens not as Reds contracted players.

They also seem very active in reviewing their progress YIYO and making changes where they are falling short.

Of the players you’ve mentioned is it true that only O’Connor & Stewart came in from somewhere else as established players?

I’m a bit lost both on why you think Brothers have been handed some golden ticket and why you think any success they’ve had isn’t directly a result of their own hard work and strategic planning.

Edit- I do agree BTW that a good spread of talent is ideal for a comp. My experience though (but this is not in Hospital Cup as I have no involvement there) is too often people want to equalise the comp by pulling the best teams back rather than working out how they can lift the bottom. There seems to be an element of this in your post. That’s my perception anyway.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Whilst I don’t think the extra time issue will be resolved due to minutes restriction liability issues, I would have thought by now a couple of alternate tie breaker scenarios may have been presented to at least get a winner for grand finals.

Drop goal shootout or something.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
It used to be awarded to the team scoring the first try back in the day I recall but I really think allowing for 20 mins (10 each way) as ET is do-able with the grades starting a little earlier in finals to allow for it. You may also recall the Colts (UQ v Easts) GF at Suncorp a few year back that ended in a draw and a shared premiership. ET was not able to be played due to the Prem GF on TV. We all want a result and given the ongoing occurrences of draws, I think the ET option needs to come back into consideration. It adds to the atmosphere, players and patrons like it and it gives a fairer result.