• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Agree. Finals on a sandpit at Crosby.

Brothers should incorporate into their development project the same playing surface as Eastern Suburbs rugby in Sydney.

LevitatingSocks

Fred Wood (13)
Agree. Finals on a sandpit at Crosby.

Brothers should incorporate into their development project the same playing surface as Eastern Suburbs rugby in Sydney.

I can't speak to that specific technology but I am wary of synthetic turf. Higher injury risk, boiling hot in the sun, and friction burns.

Feels like choosing the lesser of two evils between synthetic and the current set-up at Brothers.

Last edited:

JRugby2

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't speak to that specific technology but I am wary of synthetic turf. Higher injury risk, boiling hot in the sun, and friction burns.

Feels like choosing the lesser of two evils between synthetic and the current set-up at Brothers.
I mean I appreciate that link is effectively an ad for the company, but it specifically calls out that Easts saw a reduction in injury among it's playing group and that the technology (using cork) means it's significantly cooler to the point it doesn't need irrigation to cool it down.

LevitatingSocks

Fred Wood (13)
I mean I appreciate that link is effectively an ad for the company, but it specifically calls out that Easts saw a reduction in injury among it's playing group and that the technology (using cork) means it's significantly cooler to the point it doesn't need irrigation to cool it down.
Yeah purely speculation on my part. Would be interested to see a breakdown in the data they're using to claim a reduction in injury (e.g. a significant fall in contusions and cuts paired with a minor rise in ligament and joint injuries would still count as a reduction in injury).

Also interested in if denial of "problems with excess heat" means the field is as cool as natural grass or if it's just less hot compared to typical artificial turf.

Venues and councils tend to love artificial turf because it's far cheaper in the long term compared to the maintenance of natural grass and they can flog it with as much use as they want even if it does have drawbacks.

My personal opinion is well-maintained natural grass > hybrid > poorly-maintained grass > 3g synthetic > 2g synthetic.

footinbothcamps

Frank Row (1)

my son recently played in the NSW u16 schools tournament at Easts in Sydney, he wasnt a fan of the field, we are still dealing with burns on the elbows.

Rugby follower

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely Brothers aren't hosting finals on that dirt/sand track. It would be a bit silly to press on with it in that state.
I imagine the sand pit will turn into a mud pit after the rain we have just had. Even worse some really hot days forecast will turn the mud into concrete. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Mud is not a problem at Crosby..... Sand,....Lots of sand.
1723631255432.png