• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It used to be awarded to the team scoring the first try back in the day I recall but I really think allowing for 20 mins (10 each way) as ET is do-able with the grades starting a little earlier in finals to allow for it. You may also recall the Colts (UQ v Easts) GF at Suncorp a few year back that ended in a draw and a shared premiership. ET was not able to be played due to the Prem GF on TV. We all want a result and given the ongoing occurrences of draws, I think the ET option needs to come back into consideration. It adds to the atmosphere, players and patrons like it and it gives a fairer result.

I thought it was also due to players minutes restrictions at grades level being only like 90 minutes per day?

Most grades don’t carry a fresh bench so the reserves are usually players who’ve just played a game earlier.

I know traditionally that type of thing hasn’t really been monitored but I heard in the last couple of years with all the HIA stuff and contact load management it was being more actively monitored particularly for finals.

I guess the issue is if you go to extra time and suddenly each team have 4 blokes on the park who technically shouldn’t be on the field any more what do you do?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whilst Brothers are through to GF in Prem-5th grade they are now free to select players across the grades whereas Wests whilst still alive in Prems(PF), 2nd(v GPS in minor), 3rd (PF), but 4th have just lost Minor to GPS and 5th(PF) can have team selection thrown by the elimination of a higher grade. The loss in 4th will now impact player availability in 5th grade. I.e. the 5th grade side will not be as potent moving forward. A loss in any higher grade will now impact player availability for teams in lower grades. I think if you qualify to play in the first week of finals in a team then that qualification should stand throughout the finals series regardless of the elimination of a higher grade. What do others think about this?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Didn’t expect the score line in UQ v Souths. Thought the two sides were pretty even on paper and actually tipped Souths. UQ seemed to have control the whole time.

PJRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
UQ were always going to win that in my eyes, the experience of finals alone was always going to be a contributing factor

oldrugbytragic

Bob McCowan (2)
@Bulldog as hard done by as Wests may feel, if they are ineligible for 5th grade it means they have played too many games in higher grades. I don't see how this is unfair? Brothers are rewarded for having all their teams advance. Changing it to your suggestion opens it up to Wests dropping the entire 4th grade team down once they have been knocked out of finals contention.

The eligibility rules around consecutive teams were designed so that clubs that have rep players returning or injured players etc means that other players still get to play finals.

What is has done is turned into an absolute joke with clubs like Brothers doing what they did on Saturday with playing Premier Colts players in lower grades semi finals so they can secure wins. A fairly ordinary act in my opinion but not a huge surprise from them. A prop that played the entire season for Premier Colts turned out against Uni in 4th grade. And I believe others in 5th Grade. How anyone at Crosby Road thinks this is in the spirit of amateur (lower grade) rugby is beyond me.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
What is has done is turned into an absolute joke with clubs like Brothers doing what they did on Saturday with playing Premier Colts players in lower grades semi finals so they can secure wins.

Doesn't this type of thing happen with clubs all the time?

Samu Kerevi and Chris Kuridrani won a GPS 3rd Grade Premiership back in the 2010s as colts in a similar situation.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
I have no issue with Colts players playing Grades for finals if they're knocked out and aren't kicking out a long term squad member of the team they're joining. What's the difference between a colts 1 star/reds academy player playing reserve grade in finals and a Colts 1/2 fringey playing 4th grade? Colts players bench during the season where required in grades teams, and it only increases the chances they come back next year.

It seems to have hardly made a difference with brothers minor premiers across the grades and is a testament to their depth that they can have colts players strengthen their finals line ups.

oldrugbytragic

Bob McCowan (2)
Brothers had Colts 1 players that have both played QLD Under 19s playing 4th and 5th grade. Not "fringe" players. As I said, not in the spirit of the game but thats Brothers for you. Its not a testament to their depth. Its telling their players that played all season that they aren't trusted by their coach or their club.

I see that colts players play premier and 2nd grade and often in finals. This is a different case altogether.

LevitatingSocks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
"If they aren't kicking out a long term squad member of the team they're joining" is a big assumption. Maybe it increases the odds of Colts returning, but it probably decreases the odds of the grades players returning. Compete in finals with the players you had during the season. Especially in lower grades where it's guys showing up for the love of the game.

Last edited:

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
@Bulldog as hard done by as Wests may feel, if they are ineligible for 5th grade it means they have played too many games in higher grades. I don't see how this is unfair? Brothers are rewarded for having all their teams advance.
Agreed. This "stacking" strategy has gone on for years. I think the rule of having played a minimum number of games (6) in that team/grade during the season is main prerequisite for mine. Colts should not be eligible to "play up" unless they have played a minimum number of games in that seniors team either off the bench or starting.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
As someone who has both been a player in the situation you are talking about in grades and then later on as a coach dealing with the same scenarios and how to handle those relationships, I personally haven't encountered any issues.

I've been involved with club rugby for a long time and not many blokes will walk away from a club after winning a premiership. If it means they might play less minutes in a grand final but get a winner's trophy that seems to be worth it.

We aren't talking about air dropping in players from another country. They're all still wearing the same colours all year.

And you'll find pretty much every club will look for any advantage they can get when it comes to finals.

Reactions: Ras

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
It is very easy to be critical. There were 4 Colts boys who lined up for grades on the weekend. in 5th Grade one boy started due to injury from the week before and the other boy was a front row reserve again due to injury - no spots taken from incumbent players.

4th grade had 3 boys from colts all started from the bench and ended up playing 20 - 30 mins max. + The front row from 5th grade also benched 4th grade.

Brothers, by the look of the team lists, seemed to have quite a few fresh bench options for all grades. I'd be surprised if any of the fresh bend players were unhappy with the results. Depth is a luxury Brother have at the moment.

LevitatingSocks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm sympathetic to the "best player available" argument that rewards clubs for building depth and allocates players on merit. My counter would be then why prevent currently ineligible higher grade players from dropping down and playing 2s or 3s if Prems miss finals?

Wading into the subjective realm of personal opinion, I think there's an a element of legitimacy to also consider.

Hypothetically you win a 3G Grand Final with Colts and higher grade players that didn't play 3G all season, was it really a 3G Grand Final?

As to player feelings, I suppose it depends on the individual player.