• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

MoneyBill685

Ted Fahey (11)
Seems to be, have had this since 21’ but the problem for me is the grounds that elect to have it are shiteeee, like nothing worse then playing in the dirt of wests or GPS. I believe it’s easier for QRU as it wouldn’t cost nearly as much as opening the bar and food at Ballymore for an additional 4 days. I do think it takes away from playing at ballymore as a Queenslander ballymore is by far my favourite ground to play on in Queensland.

but the clubs that gist I do wish the best of luck for them to turn a profit

Why do they always pick Wests and Brothers. Their fields are so shit. Literally playing in dirt and dust.

We get it they are a powerhouse clubs but ffs play at somewhere that has a bit of grass.

They invested millions of dollars into Ballymore and to only have 1 day to play on seems stupid.

JRugby2

Ted Fahey (11)
Why do they always pick Wests and Brothers. Their fields are so shit. Literally playing in dirt and dust.

We get it they are a powerhouse clubs but ffs play at somewhere that has a bit of grass.

They invested millions of dollars into Ballymore and to only have 1 day to play on seems stupid.
I can't remember if I read previously in this chat that it was an tender process? Potentially the other clubs didn't apply? Also Ballymore is shared by a number of teams and is already in use on a regular basis - probably a small part of this is protecting that investment.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It is interesting because the clubs who are actively tendering are also the clubs that will likely have heaps of teams playing finals (makes sense).

By luck of the draw they more often than not get home ground advantage. It is what it is I guess.

I tend to agree though the more games played at Ballymore the better - having grown up playing all my finals out there it is really special and adds another layer to the preparation.

JRugby2

Ted Fahey (11)

PJRugby

Frank Row (1)
I can't remember if I read previously in this chat that it was a tender process? Potentially the other clubs didn't apply? Also Ballymore is shared by a number of teams and is already in use on a regular basis - probably a small part of this is protecting that investment.
Most clubs don’t apply tbh, Bond wouldn’t due to one field, UQ wouldn’t want to pay the extra field hire fees I’m guessing . south’s one field, Easts don’t really have the facility’s to host (mainly extra change rooms) so leaves 5 of the 9 to put there hand up

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Most clubs don’t apply tbh, Bond wouldn’t due to one field, UQ wouldn’t want to pay the extra field hire fees I’m guessing . south’s one field, Easts don’t really have the facility’s to host (mainly extra change rooms) so leaves 5 of the 9 to put there hand up

Bond hosted last year and it caused a radioactive meltdown in the rugby community. Teams and supporters travelling down the M1 to play finals when the clubs were geographically 10mins away from each other here in Brisbane.

I am sure just the mention of it again on these forums will cause mass hysteria.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
This year Major Semi at GPS on the Saturday
Minor Semi at Sunnybank on Sunday
Following weekend
Wests on Saturday and Brothers on Sunday

GF at Ballymore both days. From what I can tell it is a tender process, but they need to have available fields. I keep thinking Norths would be a great place for finals.

I see QRU are also charging for entry on both days.

rapt

Frank Nicholson (4)
Following weekend

GF at Ballymore both days. From what I can tell it is a tender process, but they need to have available fields. I keep thinking Norths would be a great place for finals.

GPS, Norths and Sunnybank are great clubs to host finals due to number of fields etc.

Norths issue is their facilities with limited changing rooms. Something of which over the next however many years they are looking to address with a master plan and potential merging of junior/senior clubs into 1 club

noknowledgeatall

Frank Row (1)
I can't remember if I read previously in this chat that it was an tender process? Potentially the other clubs didn't apply? Also Ballymore is shared by a number of teams and is already in use on a regular basis - probably a small part of this is protecting that investment.
Protecting that investment means using it to generate revenue as well.

I don't see why each club in Brisbane doesn't play a "home" game there. This would mean that on 9 more occasions QLD RUGBY could generate a bit of revenue from food / drink sales. The club could do a nominal $2 cover charge to compensate for their lost revenue at home.

This is a practical way the top end can support and work with the grass roots.
Players always get excited to play on the hallowed turf of Ballymore and this gives them a taste.
Over flogged fields like souths/wests etc get a one week reprieve for what it is worth.

noknowledgeatall

Frank Row (1)
Following weekend

Lets hope the gate fee is passed directly back to the clubs. QRU can keep the food/drink revenue.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)

I don't see why each club in Brisbane doesn't play a "home" game there. This would mean that on 9 more occasions QLD RUGBY could generate a bit of revenue from food / drink sales. The club could do a nominal $2 cover charge to compensate for their lost revenue at home.

Players always get excited to play on the hallowed turf of Ballymore and this gives them a taste.
Over flogged fields like souths/wests etc get a one week reprieve for what it is worth.

don’t think it works but happy to give it a trial.

I am not getting in my car to go watch gps vs easts just because it’s Ballymore. I will get my car and drive to wests to watch the bulldogs play 8 other opponents.

noknowledgeatall

Frank Row (1)
don’t think it works but happy to give it a trial.

I am not getting in my car to go watch gps vs easts just because it’s Ballymore. I will get my car and drive to wests to watch the bulldogs play 8 other opponents.
If there are folk that won't go to Ballymore then they have the option to watch on Stan, I guess.

But in reality, this says the QRU needs to make the experience at Ballymore more enjoyable.

As a kid I remember going out to Herston and it was magical. How did we lose that?

JRugby2

Ted Fahey (11)

These 2 things kind of contradict each other. I'm sure Herbies got a burner in this thread somewhere - penny for your thoughts?

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe I am in the minority but heading out to Ballymore 'just because' to play your round games doesn't have the same allure as running out for a finals game.

In fact, for a lot of players it might even be more of a pain in the arse if they live locally to their club and now have to schlep out to Ballymore instead of cracking into the tins at 11am and walking home when the lights turn off.

LevitatingSocks

Fred Wood (13)
Maybe I am in the minority but heading out to Ballymore 'just because' to play your round games doesn't have the same allure as running out for a finals game.

In fact, for a lot of players it might even be more of a pain in the arse if they live locally to their club and now have to schlep out to Ballymore instead of cracking into the tins at 11am and walking home when the lights turn off.
would be fun initially but the novelty would wear off fast if it's not finals

Brian O’Driscoll

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS, Norths and Sunnybank are great clubs to host finals due to number of fields etc.

Norths issue is their facilities with limited changing rooms. Something of which over the next however many years they are looking to address with a master plan and potential merging of junior/senior clubs into 1 club
The condition of the fields at Wests and Brothers are appalling. Not a good luck in Stan when you are playing on a dirt patch.