• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

MoneyBill685

Ted Fahey (11)
After a pretty successful year last year under Mowen the new coach didn't recruit at all even after several senior players finished up.

You'd think that they would've gone out and had a look at a few players to fill the gaps but nope. The majority of the current team all played 2nd grade last year and while they won the premiership in their division the step up to prems is another thing.

The club as whole has gone backwards.

LevitatingSocks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Absolutely terrible and sad. Was talking about it with a few mates and the insurance payout is not nearly what anyone would value the use of their limb at.

Hopefully the wider community comes together and helps Jordan out.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I believe Norths are organising a couple of fundraisers, starting with this weekend's home game:
1720421829764.png

Man from snowy river

Stan Wickham (3)
Watched the Norths game and their first half was just outstanding. It is so good for the comp.
I then watched the Uni game. I could not believe the first half. The Brothers No.9 was awful. I thought the other 9 must have been injured but he was on the bench. The game completely changed when he came on. It was a game of 2 halves. Paddy James was outstanding again

cqdisco

Frank Row (1)
With five rounds to go in the regular season, it seems appropriate to comment in a completely speculative and obviously biased manner regarding the run to the finals. Bearing in mind that the only qualification I possess to legitimise my expert commentary is being the proud possessor of a Stan subscription.
For the purposes of brevity, I will confine my erratic musings to the current top 4, really 5 (GPS & Wests separated by points differential) frontrunners.
The filth. Currently 6 points clear on the top of the table, on 50 competition points having, suffered only a single loss and a draw so far this season both to UQ. This is why women want them and men fear them. The game they have left against a top sides are Wests and GPS both at Crosby Park. Brothers also have the full five games in hand having already completed their bye rounds. The standout for the fish this season has been their depth. Several clubs have dropped and gained form with the inclusion of a few key players. The fish have the depth across the park to insure continued team performance despite injuries to regular first graders.
Souths are currently sitting on 44 points with a bye scheduled for this weekend. Their 4 games remaining are against fellow top 4 teams UQ and Wests then Bond and the Bank. The magpie’s ability to play hard-nosed tough rugby is obvious, to even the most casual observer, and some of the passages of play they have produced this season have been sensational. The question remains depth, you don’t play one of the best loose forwards in the competition (IMHO) in the backline unless you absolutely must. Souths have the game to trouble any team on the day. Aside from one blowout game to Uni the Magpies season has produced some impressive close wins and losses. For example, there is only 7 points separating souths and competition leading filth after 80minutes of rugby. Combined score of 55-48. However, this is also true for Bond and the Bank. Souths managed a draw against Sunnybank and beat only beat Bond by a meagre 4 points and wests by 3. With such tight margins these could be a banana skin games for the magpies. The question over Souths for me isn’t talent, structure, or commitment it’s about who they can keep fit and on the field. They have arguably the toughest run home of all the top teams. If they can make it through to the big dance, they have certainly got a punchers chance against any team in the Hospital Cup, but it will be difficult to keep their best team on the park. They are also a very different side with HMP and will be looking for his return. The bye comes at a good time for them.
University has the Tigers this weekend. A team who has struggled of late, and if they bank 5 points against the Tigers, they leapfrog souths into second and potentially with their last two games against seventh and sixth on the ladder they have a solid pathway through to yet another finals series. Though Bond has beaten them this season. The game at Chipsy wood may prove crucial for both sides.
Wests finals run looks a little tougher, although they have also had their bye rounds and as such have five games in hand. Two of those are away games against the Filth and the Magpies. Both difficult tasks. They also must play GPS who currently sit level with them on the table. For Wests currently on 37 competition points, it is a tough road home. They also are scheduled to play a wounded Easts and a resurgent Norths looking to add another scalp to their tally of more fancied teams. GPS similarly face away games against Wests and the Filth with Bond and the Eagles rounding out their last 4 games.
With 7 points difference between second and fifth it remains to be seen which sides have the depth and resilience to cope with what will undoubtedly be some cracking games of footy.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A bit more detail around the fundraising for Jordan Luke this weekend:

And there's a go fund me setup for him here:

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
I heard they will continue hosting the GF weekend being played at Ballymore, and tender out the other weekends to clubs like last year. Not sure if that is still the case though.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Suburban clubs for semi and prelim finals means you don’t need to pay a cover charge - Ballymore they’d charge an entrance fee.

Unsure how I feel either way. Suburban club means you got better chance of friends and families coming along for the free entertainment but if you finish top 4 - those minor semi finalists in a elimination game deserve to have a run on those tracks out at Herston
p
edit - first weekend of finals is usually free entry into Ballymore but Previous years they’ve charged for the prelim finals on the main field

FTF

Allen Oxlade (6)
Absolute madness that the ARU scheduled the test match on this day. Why didn’t the QRU schedule the competition round bye on this day instead of two weeks ago?? You also have GPS rugby and that is battle of the colours day. Easy 10k people at Tennyson, who won’t/can’t be going to Suncorp….

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Good questions. The only answer is the one that we all know is true but RA and SANZAAR will deny. They don’t talk to each other. And the clubs and state unions definitely don’t talk to the bloke running Super Rugby who is based in Sydney. They’re a bunch of elitist pricks.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
As for the GPS schools?
We will play a test at the same time as your First XVs. But release the schedule well after you have organised your season.

I hope the Wallabies get 8,000 and they’re all SAFAS. And if I see one gold scarf on a Saturday afternoon in Brisbane, I know they’re from interstate!