• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Very different environment going from UQ who have traditionally had depth all the way through from 1sts to Colts 7 and Bond who are really just operating a premier grade level club.

Probably a learning curve for Heeno in that respect.

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
Amazing - you should be referring given you cold see all that and the ref missed all the knock ons from a metre away!!!
What is amazing is that the ref did in fact miss the knock on's from close to the ruck and so say not just me but multiple spectators. But as I said in my original post, that's Rugby.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Very different environment going from UQ who have traditionally had depth all the way through from 1sts to Colts 7 and Bond who are really just operating a premier grade level club.

Very tough recruiting dynamic down there

couple of heavies players have ended up at Bond but it would take quite the arm twist for me personally getting in the car and driving down the M1 up to 4 times in a week to play for Bond.

I suspect if Heenan ended up at a Brisbane club his recruitment would of been a lot easier

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Very tough recruiting dynamic down there

couple of heavies players have ended up at Bond but it would take quite the arm twist for me personally getting in the car and driving down the M1 up to 4 times in a week to play for Bond.

I suspect if Heenan ended up at a Brisbane club his recruitment would of been a lot easier
Some really want to be a nailed-on Prem grade starter instead of a body that shifts between Prem and Ressies depending on the week.

It's a bit silly if you're not getting Super Rugby looks if you ask me, but different things make different people happy.

Watchingrugby

Stan Wickham (3)

He has the full Gold Coast competition + Reggie’s + 3rds + 2 colts teams - pretty sure Norths, Sunnybank et al would be happy with that ‘very different enviroment’

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
He has the full Gold Coast competition + Reggie’s + 3rds + 2 colts teams - pretty sure Norths, Sunnybank et al would be happy with that ‘very different enviroment’
Norths have Prem grade, ressies, 3rd grade, and also 4th grade for a few weeks this year plus at least two grades of Colts.

Sunnybank have full depth down to 5th grade and 4 grades of Colts.

Man from snowy river

Stan Wickham (3)
Congrats to Damian for the gig. If Shelton Alcatraz gets it I can only see Crosby going backwards at a fast rate of knots. Although he is close to the president Geoff Rodgers and he is known for making dumb decisions……..
You have no idea about the man what he has achieve. He has won 6 Aust surf titles and has a very successful business. He has zero interest in the gig but he is a high achiever

Man from snowy river

Stan Wickham (3)
Brothers vs Bond 20/07/24: So, I was sent to sit with the Brothers supporters by a spouse who wanted me to shout less and watch more. This is what my experience - as a Bond supporter among the Filth Faithful - played out.

I finally get it. Sure, when you are away at Brothers, the Butchery is loud overpowering and downright intimidating. You know you are in enemy territory. But Brothers fans who travelled to Bond on Saturday held what I saw as a level of decorum, manners and civility that only Japanese rugby fans could match in authenticity.

Great supporting comments for so many of the Brethren plays throughout the game - comments that, I might add, were well-deserved. I was looking for one-sided arrogance and just brainless outbursts. I witnessed / heard none. When it was clear that this might be a pasting, the Brothers fans were measured, polite and well-mannered.

Then came the Bond comeback. Again, supportive comments for Brethren defenders....BUT...some extremely complimentary comments and light applause for Bond plays and players during the final 20 minutes - and excited cheers and applause for THAT post 80th-minute penalty kick.

I get it now. This club - and its followers - intrinsically LOVE the game of rugby as a whole. They love the way it plays and how it swings like a pendulum. They love the highs, lows and everything in between about this game the rest of us purport to love. They love their players, but they also appreciate opposition players. They give credit where credit is due, and they exude a unique culture that is very much their own.

It was a sobering experience for me in more ways than one, and it has given me a more realistic perspective on those who hail from Crosby Park. I actually enjoyed the experience from a Brothers-oriented lilt.

I want to hate Brothers with a vengeance.....and I WILL continue to hate them with a vengeance.....Only I won't mean it, and will secretly admire and congratulate them on their achievements and successes to date.

Congrats on holding out a Bond comeback and all the best for the rest of the season.
Well said. I have moved from Sydney to Brisbane 2 years ago. I live in between Norths and Brother. So who ever has the home game I go and watch them. The clubs are 2 extremes when it comes to results. I have great respect for both clubs. Brothers professionalism and Norths for turning up even knowing they are going to get beaten. The supporters for both clubs are just the same. Great people

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Well said. I have moved from Sydney to Brisbane 2 years ago. I live in between Norths and Brother. So who ever has the home game I go and watch them. The clubs are 2 extremes when it comes to results. I have great respect for both clubs. Brothers professionalism and Norths for turning up even knowing they are going to get beaten. The supporters for both clubs are just the same. Great people
Bang on - agreed

Keeno3

Bob McCowan (2)
8 losses - 50% of them by 4 points or less plus a draw.

But for and against is -28 which is 59 points worse off than 5th placed GPS (+31).

So they’re placed where they deserve to be.
I agree with you Confucius - Bond are exactly on the table where their performances suggest they should be.

Maybe they had a bit of a charmed run last year? Andrew Fraser going over to work at UQ and Lachie Connors not being there made things hard this year from the outset.

But they've lately shown more of the potential they have. With a second pre-season with the group and maybe some astute recruiting, Heenan should have them straight back up into finals contention next year.

Watchingrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with you Confucius - Bond are exactly on the table where their performances suggest they should be.

Maybe they had a bit of a charmed run last year? Andrew Fraser going over to work at UQ and Lachie Connors not being there made things hard this year from the outset.

But they've lately shown more of the potential they have. With a second pre-season with the group and maybe some astute recruiting, Heenan should have them straight back up into finals contention next year.
Lachie Connors didn’t play a single game for UQ - he suffered a season ending injury with the reds