• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

hdnmstsnr

Peter Burge (5)
Brothers vs Bond 20/07/24: So, I was sent to sit with the Brothers supporters by a spouse who wanted me to shout less and watch more. This is what my experience - as a Bond supporter among the Filth Faithful - played out.

I finally get it. Sure, when you are away at Brothers, the Butchery is loud overpowering and downright intimidating. You know you are in enemy territory. But Brothers fans who travelled to Bond on Saturday held what I saw as a level of decorum, manners and civility that only Japanese rugby fans could match in authenticity.

Great supporting comments for so many of the Brethren plays throughout the game - comments that, I might add, were well-deserved. I was looking for one-sided arrogance and just brainless outbursts. I witnessed / heard none. When it was clear that this might be a pasting, the Brothers fans were measured, polite and well-mannered.

Then came the Bond comeback. Again, supportive comments for Brethren defenders....BUT...some extremely complimentary comments and light applause for Bond plays and players during the final 20 minutes - and excited cheers and applause for THAT post 80th-minute penalty kick.

I get it now. This club - and its followers - intrinsically LOVE the game of rugby as a whole. They love the way it plays and how it swings like a pendulum. They love the highs, lows and everything in between about this game the rest of us purport to love. They love their players, but they also appreciate opposition players. They give credit where credit is due, and they exude a unique culture that is very much their own.

It was a sobering experience for me in more ways than one, and it has given me a more realistic perspective on those who hail from Crosby Park. I actually enjoyed the experience from a Brothers-oriented lilt.

I want to hate Brothers with a vengeance.....and I WILL continue to hate them with a vengeance.....Only I won't mean it, and will secretly admire and congratulate them on their achievements and successes to date.

Congrats on holding out a Bond comeback and all the best for the rest of the season.

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brothers vs Bond 20/07/24: So, I was sent to sit with the Brothers supporters by a spouse who wanted me to shout less and watch more. This is what my experience - as a Bond supporter among the Filth Faithful - played out.

I finally get it. Sure, when you are away at Brothers, the Butchery is loud overpowering and downright intimidating. You know you are in enemy territory. But Brothers fans who travelled to Bond on Saturday held what I saw as a level of decorum, manners and civility that only Japanese rugby fans could match in authenticity.

Great supporting comments for so many of the Brethren plays throughout the game - comments that, I might add, were well-deserved. I was looking for one-sided arrogance and just brainless outbursts. I witnessed / heard none. When it was clear that this might be a pasting, the Brothers fans were measured, polite and well-mannered.

Then came the Bond comeback. Again, supportive comments for Brethren defenders....BUT...some extremely complimentary comments and light applause for Bond plays and players during the final 20 minutes - and excited cheers and applause for THAT post 80th-minute penalty kick.

I get it now. This club - and its followers - intrinsically LOVE the game of rugby as a whole. They love the way it plays and how it swings like a pendulum. They love the highs, lows and everything in between about this game the rest of us purport to love. They love their players, but they also appreciate opposition players. They give credit where credit is due, and they exude a unique culture that is very much their own.

It was a sobering experience for me in more ways than one, and it has given me a more realistic perspective on those who hail from Crosby Park. I actually enjoyed the experience from a Brothers-oriented lilt.

I want to hate Brothers with a vengeance.....and I WILL continue to hate them with a vengeance.....Only I won't mean it, and will secretly admire and congratulate them on their achievements and successes to date.

Congrats on holding out a Bond comeback and all the best for the rest of the season.
blink twice if there's a man in butcher stripes holding a gun to your head

NCT

Chris McKivat (8)
Some big scores yesterday based on what rugby Xplorer is listing. 59-50 and 42-40? Are they correct? Was the attack so superb by both sides or was defence a bit optional?

cqdisco

Frank Row (1)

well said sir.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can anyone advise if the Challenger Series is going to be played again this year?
I haven't heard anything one or way or the other, but hopefully they do. With the influx of rebels this year there are going to be fewer contracts up for grabs for the club guys, but it's important to keep building and strengthening the link through, and it's got plenty to offer on the Women's side of the game as well. I wouldn't be amazed if they skip this year with a solid off season schedule though, just a bit disappointed.

noknowledgeatall

Frank Row (1)
Some big scores yesterday based on what rugby Xplorer is listing. 59-50 and 42-40? Are they correct? Was the attack so superb by both sides or was defence a bit optional?
The UQ v Souths was 59-33 about 10 from fulltime when the UQ coach emptied the bench. Had a few Colts in there and souths scored 3 tries and a conversion in quick time.

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
The UQ v Souths was 59-33 about 10 from fulltime when the UQ coach emptied the bench. Had a few Colts in there and souths scored 3 tries and a conversion in quick time.
Souths had also emptied their bench by that time. The result could easily have gone the other way. I was watching from directly behind the goal posts at the southern end of the field and Souths definitely did not get the rub of the green in some referee decisions during the UQ forwards pick and drives. There were two clear knock-ons by UQ forwards before they "scored".
My opinion on these knock-ons was confirmed to me by a couple of Brothers supporters(with no skin in the game, as they say!) watching from nearby. No luck but that's Rugby, I suppose.

Watchingrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Luckily Colts 2 flew the flag!!!
Souths had also emptied their bench by that time. The result could easily have gone the other way. I was watching from directly behind the goal posts at the southern end of the field and Souths definitely did not get the rub of the green in some referee decisions during the UQ forwards pick and drives. There were two clear knock-ons by UQ forwards before they "scored".
My opinion on these knock-ons was confirmed to me by a couple of Brothers supporters(with no skin in the game, as they say!) watching from nearby. No luck but that's Rugby, I suppose.
so you at watching outside the field of play behind the wooden fence with the Souths defensive line in front of you and you are able to pick up ‘knock ons’ that a referee and two touchies missed - tremendous effort!

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
My opinion on these knock-ons was confirmed to me by a couple of Brothers supporters(with no skin in the game, as they say!) watching from nearby. No luck but that's Rugby, I suppose
so you at watching outside the field of play behind the wooden fence with the Souths defensive line in front of you and you are able to pick up ‘knock ons’ that a referee and two touchies missed - tremendous effort!
Yes that is correct. I was slightly on an angle to the ruck. Not just me but six other spectators and as I said not all "biased" Souths supporters but supporters of other Clubs, who happened to be at Souths to watch this game.

Watchingrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
My opinion on these knock-ons was confirmed to me by a couple of Brothers supporters(with no skin in the game, as they say!) watching from nearby. No luck but that's Rugby, I suppose

Yes that is correct. I was slightly on an angle to the ruck. Not just me but six other spectators and as I said not all "biased" Souths supporters but supporters of other Clubs, who happened to be at Souths to watch this game.
Amazing - you should be referring given you cold see all that and the ref missed all the knock ons from a metre away!!!