• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Remember the good old days when u chose a club based on allegiance, opportunities (on field not off) or maybe simply the colour of the jersey?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Ok with no real knowledge of what is happening I'm going to guess where teams end up this year.

1. Uni
2. Sunnybank
3. GPS
4. Wests
5. Easts
6. Souths
7. Brothers
8. Sunshine Coast
9. Gold Coast
10. Norths

I'm not sure if my beloved Heavies will finish at the top in 2013...

I think most people will find that they will be quite "Green" in some positions. They are particularly light on in one or two positions due to quite an exodus after last season. Also given that they have a few players involved in the 7s and likely a few in the U20s it could be a tough one for the boys. But as someone else pointed there is plenty of young talent coming though the colts. I don't think you will see the same amount of depth they had last year through the grades either with a number of very good grade players finishing up their studies and moving on.

However if Ewen decides to not pick Moz & Rocket (possibly Lance when Ant gets back) then they will have quite a potent backline with 2 x Moz, Rocket & Lance possibly in the fold.

There are some good noises coming out of the Wests & GPS camps... as usual Sunnybank will be strong. Thinking the Filth will battle :D... as someone else pointed out they have had a very good run the past 10 years or so, they are due.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not sure if my beloved Heavies will finish at the top in 2013.

I think most people will find that they will be quite "Green" in some positions. They are particularly light on in one or two positions due to quite an exodus after last season. Also given that they have a few players involved in the 7s and likely a few in the U20s it could be a tough one for the boys. But as someone else pointed there is plenty of young talent coming though the colts. I don't think you will see the same amount of depth they had last year through the grades either with a number of very good grade players finishing up their studies and moving on.

However if Ewen decides to not pick Moz & Rocket (possibly Lance when Ant gets back) then they will have quite a potent backline with 2 x Moz, Rocket & Lance possibly in the fold.

There are some good noises coming out of the Wests & GPS camps. as usual Sunnybank will be strong. Thinking the Filth will battle :D. as someone else pointed out they have had a very good run the past 10 years or so, they are due.

G'day mate, Heavies won all three Colts grades last year right? Reckon you'll do the threepeat again?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
G'day mate, Heavies won all three Colts grades last year right? Reckon you'll do the threepeat again?

Yeah mate it will be interesting. From what I've been told they will have a very good Prem Colts side, however in saying that there is a belief a fair few of them will be required in Prem Grade throughout the season. I'm unsure of the numbers they have had at training and whether it compares to the ridiculous amount who have showed up in the past few years, with more players it obviously builds more competition for spots which has lead to some of the success of Colts 1 & 2 in the past few seasons.

They are very excited at Stade De Heavie about what Prem Colts could produce this year... but in answer to your question if they are all at the right end of the ladder late in the season when all the 7s/u20s/Reds come back they should have a decent crack at the 3 x threepeat

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suppose I should show up for a few Uni games this year, seeing as it is my last semester at the joint and all. :)

Spectating, not playing though!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah mate it will be interesting. From what I've been told they will have a very good Prem Colts side, however in saying that there is a belief a fair few of them will be required in Prem Grade throughout the season. I'm unsure of the numbers they have had at training and whether it compares to the ridiculous amount who have showed up in the past few years, with more players it obviously builds more competition for spots which has lead to some of the success of Colts 1 & 2 in the past few seasons.

They are very excited at Stade De Heavie about what Prem Colts could produce this year. but in answer to your question if they are all at the right end of the ladder late in the season when all the 7s/u20s/Reds come back they should have a decent crack at the 3 x threepeat

Mate, why have the Heavies become so good in the Colts area? I can recall back to a few years ago when they were not the best.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)

They are very excited at Stade De Heavie about what Prem Colts could produce this year. but in answer to your question if they are all at the right end of the ladder late in the season when all the 7s/u20s/Reds come back they should have a decent crack at the 3 x threepeat

Who have they acquired from 2012 schoolboys?

Based on last years premier colts team, only a handful are still colts and as said before, some will most likely be in premier grade.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
The scholarships definitely are very influential for academic players like Pleash, Korczyck and Cornelson who all would have played elsewhere if the money wasn't an issue ($6k +).
Most people acknowledge that a player and their parents would be stupid to knock back the offer but it is interesting to see the report in the Fairfax that Sydney Uni on who UQ model their program provide over $500k per year in academic and residential scholarships. Funnily enough they also dominate all 3 Colts grades.
Some clubs such as Brothers and Wests are very good at recruiting these scholarship players back in the subsequent year when they no longer receive a scholarship.
The interesting sidelight to the proposed Uni comp is that if the Unis were running their own team then the players would play for the University and not the sports club and could possibly accept the scholarship, play in the Uni comp and still play with a club like Wests.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^University fees aside living on campus is very expensive and i would imagien this would be the key factor in alot of boys decisions. They have gone from boarding at GPS schools on scholarship so it would only make sense to do the same in the next phase of schooling

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
also their was an ARU academy game on last night..does wnyone know how that panned out or has a report?
The next generation of Reds talent put on a strong showing at Ballymore on Thursday night with the Reds College XV toppling the Australian Rugby Union’s National Academy 27-20.

The Reds College XV will now focus their attention on their next encounter against Tonga A at Ballymore on Saturday March 2.

Full match report to come…

From Reds website.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
happyjack In terms of scholarship availability and "concessions" to rugby players from the Uni, Sydney Uni & Queensland Uni are light years apart.

All of the requirements, qualifiers & amounts are actually on the UQ website (or UQ sport website) and the College websites (eg Kings College). It's pretty transparent

The numbers & values of these scholarships are nowhere near Sydney Uni. Maybe a handful of rugby scholarships, but it depends on applications & credentials of athletes from other sports also.

Also unless it's changed this year or last year (which it might have) it is a Uni requirement that their scholarship holders represent UQ in intervarsity competitions (eg Aus Uni games, Laffan Cup for Aus Unis) but there is no such requirement to play for the Uni club in Premier rugby or Colts rugby for example. It's not uncommon in other sports (and I think I recall a case or two in rugby also?) for a player to play for a club in their own comp but still compete in the Uni Games for UQ.

It's actually pretty difficult to extrapolate the Sydney Uni practices to all Unis.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
happyjack In terms of scholarship availability and "concessions" to rugby players from the Uni, Sydney Uni & Queensland Uni are light years apart.

All of the requirements, qualifiers & amounts are actually on the UQ website (or UQ sport website) and the College websites (eg Kings College). It's pretty transparent

The numbers & values of these scholarships are nowhere near Sydney Uni. Maybe a handful of rugby scholarships, but it depends on applications & credentials of athletes from other sports also.

Also unless it's changed this year or last year (which it might have) it is a Uni requirement that their scholarship holders represent UQ in intervarsity competitions (eg Aus Uni games, Laffan Cup for Aus Unis) but there is no such requirement to play for the Uni club in Premier rugby or Colts rugby for example. It's not uncommon in other sports (and I think I recall a case or two in rugby also?) for a player to play for a club in their own comp but still compete in the Uni Games for UQ.

It's actually pretty difficult to extrapolate the Sydney Uni practices to all Unis.

I think a number of a years ago an Easts premier grade player actually had a sports scholarship with UQ, he was also in the reds college at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.