• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Faingaas just said via Twitter that now they will both be playing for GPS on the weekend. Not sure whos position Ant will take yet.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit. You either bet big or you go home.[/quote]

Shane Arnold is betting big by selecting the wallabies. But will this change in the line up actually get GPS across the line this weekend? Do the Fainga'a's actually care? They have changed clubs more than once and have rarely played club rugby. I suppose GPS would be hoping whatever they paid them is going to get reward this weekend against Wests.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It is an odd year for the Premier Comp. Brothers have been the form team for most of the year but seem to have fallen off the pace over the last couple of weeks. Uni are a bit up and down. Easts look like they could miss out on the finals for the second year in a row after being in the top 4 for almost all of the season. Sunnybank are hitting form but don't seem to have the killer punch they had last year and the GPS team that was talked up by most at the start of the year haven't delivered what most expected and require other results to go their way to make the top 4.
I think that the comp is wide open at this stage and all the teams that make it to the finals are a shot. For what it's worth I'm hoping for Easts to be Uni by more than 7 but score less than 4 tries and GPS to beat Wests with a bonus point, while the Dragons and the Filth win their games. That would see a replay of last years GF in the major semi and Uni v GPS in the minor.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Hmm.. It's going to be interesting cheering against the Fa'aingas. I think Ant is a fabulous talent but don't rate Saia by any means. The ARU contract where they signed both as a package really iritates me because James Hanson is a far superior talent & the only reason Saia was named in the 30 man wallaby squad is 'I Believe' that its because he had an ARU top up contract. (Hanson was the better hooker in 2012 & wasnt injured for most of the year)

Ending my Saia rant. The Saia & Radike injection will help add mongrel to that forward pack which was soft in the fixture at Sylvan Rd. Also good to see Liam Ferguson lined up for GPS because he is another great player with mongrel.

Always look forward going to Yoku Rd because GPS is the best supported club in Brisbane. I'm hoping Wests stepup to the challenge & have another Goliath slaying performance which they have seemed to done many times this year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think east coast aces that players inserted in ian's place have a lot more to offer game plan wise. In regards to this year being an odd year. I Couldnt agree more I think as a whole the quality has been better but the problem is now that a lot of players have shot overseas for contracts or have contracts at home and would rather rest there injuries. Coupled with all th sevens players missing. That's a lot of talent gone.

Sunnybank will win to much power now with all those players back...........makes me so upset for teams like brothers and easts to get done for lack of pro talent but an argument for another day

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
University are definatly flying under the radar this season. Alot of talk on the usuals (Brothers, Bank, GPS, Easts), but the Students have been up there all season. Given Brothers slip in form recently, I think a Sunnybank vs University final is a good chance.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
[quote
Sunnybank will win to much power now with all those players back.....makes me so upset for teams like brothers and easts to get done for lack of pro talent but an argument for another day[/quote

Sunnybank beat both Brothers and East in round 1 and 2 so not sure you can claim that it is all about rep players returning. I think Uni should be the favourite for premier final at this stage and if they have a win over easts on the weekend then really easts cant complain to much about missing finals when you look at thier losses over the year it will be to teams that are higher than them on the ladder. Easts have lost to brothers and sunnybank twice this year and to Gps in final round.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Sunnybank will win to much power now with all those players back.....makes me so upset for teams like brothers and easts to get done for lack of pro talent but an argument for another day

I am sick of everyone being sorry for Easts and Brothers etc what about Souths and Wests? Oh wait is it because they have no contracted players at all, just disregard them all together? With the seasons Souths and Wests have had I can't wait till 2013, when everyone stops talking about contracted players for the top four teams and starts asking why they are sitting 6th and 7th.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Souths have had Beau Robinson, Van Humphries, Quade Cooper and Chris F'Sautia? And no one is bitching about that, I just think alot of us get disgruntled that Sunnybank have so many Reds in their ranks, which they have all developed through Juniors.

Good on Wests and Souths, no one is taking their improvements away from them. And for the record there has been alot of discussion about Wests and Souths on these forums, so maybe have a bit more of a read if you think its all about the top 4 ( if anything University and Brothers don't get talked much). It's not that we ignore these teams, but we aren't going to comment on teams we don't have much knowledge on.

Rant over.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Its the way prem rugby works and souths have there share. I am not arguing what Sunnybank does is wrong or right but the argument that all those players were juniors in incorrect/invalid

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Quite a few of the Sunnybank contracted players didn't play juniors at the club but I think Taps is the only one who wasn't at the club for colts. On the other hand it's also the most active club in terms of committing resources to school programs do I guess they get a return for their investment of time, money and facilities.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Jets wouldn't Sunnybank be better off spending money on contracting the best amateur players from other clubs to win the Premiership than focusing on Juniors, supporting schools and having a strong colts program?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I have no doubt the reason for the success is their colts program. The depth they have is amazing they have kids coming out of the woodwork left right and centre. And all there stars probably were colts i was just saying they weren't juniors. Sunnybank reaped rewards from good financial investment in there facilities and their programs. However with one of the largest juniors and best colts program's it makes you wonder why they feel the need to entice people.......fruit for thought

jacmac

Frank Row (1)
You gotta risk it to get the biscuit. You either bet big or you go home.

Shane Arnold is betting big by selecting the wallabies. But will this change in the line up actually get GPS across the line this weekend? Do the Fainga'a's actually care? They have changed clubs more than once and have rarely played club rugby. I suppose GPS would be hoping whatever they paid them is going to get reward this weekend against Wests.[/quote]

I am not sure that playing Reds and Wallabies players when they are available is such a big bet. It seems to have worked pretty well for Sunnybank and Uni in recent times. I think I know where you are coming from though as the addition of new players to a team that is travelling OK can be disruptive. That appeared to be the case for GPS earlier in the season when Samo was in and out of Reds and sevens players came and went after a few cameos. Injuries have also been a major factor for GPS this season, but as the Easts supporters on here have pointed out before that is a part of the game all teams face.
To be fair to the Faingaas, I understand that Saia volunteered to play this week to help the club as the regular hooker Nicol is unavailable for personal reasons. I understand Ant is not playing but I could be proved wrong. I thought they have only changed clubs once in Bris when they left Souths. Can't comment on Sydney or Canberra. I am not close enough to the GPS club to comment but my understanding is that they probably settled the equivalent of petrol money and a polo shirt. GPS were pretty up front in telling them they could not afford to pay players. As for getting a return on investment, my perception is that is has been paid many times over as they come to as many GPS games as they can (home and away) even when not playing. They are happy to spend a lot of time with kids and fans of both sides signing and posing for photos. I have seen quite a few professional sportsmen in the past and the way these guys and Radike interact with kids fans and club members is an absolute credit to them and the Reds culture. My observation at other brisbane clubs is that it is a common theme, which is great for the image of the game.
On the frequency of appearances, I seem to recall they have been in the Wallabies squads and generally in the 22 when they are not with the Reds so we all would have been surprised to see them playing more than once or twice in the club season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have no doubt the reason for the success is their colts program. The depth they have is amazing they have kids coming out of the woodwork left right and centre. And all there stars probably were colts i was just saying they weren't juniors. Sunnybank reaped rewards from good financial investment in there facilities and their programs. However with one of the largest juniors and best colts program's it makes you wonder why they feel the need to entice people...fruit for thought
Who have they enticed though? All the reasons you state above a the same reasons that players are keen to play at Sunnybank. Also I don't understand this hang up people have with players needing to be juniors at a club to be considered real club men. If that was the case the Uni haven't developed any players.
When guys finish school they tend to have more freedom over what they want to do in their lives and choosing a rugby club is one of these choices. They choose to go to a club where their mates are or where they will get the best out of their careers, professional or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.