• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Apparently not the Faainga's. Sunnybank met with them before they went to Souths. Money talks! GPShave a newly created fund raising committee that sources funding for players such as this. Extra Test lunch, sausage sizzles at Hotel LA - good on them. Thierry seems to know the commercial insides of Sunnybank. Name some names!

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
When both Fa'aingas were injured & Scotty Higgibnbotham was away in South Africa on Reds duties.

The Fa'ainga boys came down to Wests to help with our junior sign on day.

I could never ever question their commitment to grassroots rugby because they are there centre stage cheering on GPS Rugby when I have had Bulldogs/Gallopers fixtures that I have attended.

T

TOCC

Shane Arnold is betting big by selecting the wallabies. But will this change in the line up actually get GPS across the line this weekend? Do the Fainga'a's actually care? They have changed clubs more than once and have rarely played club rugby. I suppose GPS would be hoping whatever they paid them is going to get reward this weekend against Wests

I am not sure that playing Reds and Wallabies players when they are available is such a big bet. It seems to have worked pretty well for Sunnybank and Uni in recent times. I think I know where you are coming from though as the addition of new players to a team that is travelling OK can be disruptive. That appeared to be the case for GPS earlier in the season when Samo was in and out of Reds and sevens players came and went after a few cameos. Injuries have also been a major factor for GPS this season, but as the Easts supporters on here have pointed out before that is a part of the game all teams face.
To be fair to the Faingaas, I understand that Saia volunteered to play this week to help the club as the regular hooker Nicol is unavailable for personal reasons. I understand Ant is not playing but I could be proved wrong. I thought they have only changed clubs once in Bris when they left Souths. Can't comment on Sydney or Canberra. I am not close enough to the GPS club to comment but my understanding is that they probably settled the equivalent of petrol money and a polo shirt. GPS were pretty up front in telling them they could not afford to pay players.

Fainga'a's definetly did sign with GPS for the money, Souths were negotiating to keep them. Once they told the Souths how much GPS had offered, Souths conceded because they couldn't offer anything near what GPS were...

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Enough with the money stuff or comments over who wants what. Based on trophy results no one club monopolises success. All clubs have something to offer and all thankfully are unique and yet bonded by the love of the game. All players love rugby and enjoy the commaradrie it provides and clubs add the tribalism we all desire. The last round of a good season on a beautiful day. Go enjoy it!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well we couldnt beat Sunnybank or Brothers in both rounds, lost to University and GPS once, and also lost to Souths once. Whilst it's hard for me to say, you can't have those results and expect to make the finals.

T

TOCC

Enough with the money stuff or comments over who wants what. Based on trophy results no one club monopolises success. All clubs have something to offer and all thankfully are unique and yet bonded by the love of the game. All players love rugby and enjoy the commaradrie it provides and clubs add the tribalism we all desire. The last round of a good season on a beautiful day. Go enjoy it!

Why she would stop talking about it?
Considering the impact it has on the competition it rightly deserves to be discussed in the premier grade thread.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I agree with TOCC.

I looked over at the spare oval that GPS had today acting as a paid carpark and counted rows upon rows of cars & thought "putting food on the Samo's table" or "putting fuel in the Fa'aingas tank"

I mentioned how my club use to charge for parking & how I was happy when that practice ceased.

But politics aside.. GPS was clearly the better team today. They had an army of supporters getting behind their cause & looked like a team who came out on the oval to play a must win game. As soft at that GPS pack was in WESTS v GPS at Slyvan Road they were twice as mongrel in GPS vs WESTS @ Yoku Road.

& It took 19 rounds for Wests to finally be challenged at scrum time. Full credit to GPS for having a solid scrum today.

T

tranquility

Has Aidan been playing recently? This is usually the time of year that he is untouchable.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It would be great if every player could get paid like in league. But the money isn't there so I don't think some players should be paid. Particularly if they are already on reds and aru contracts.

But I would like to know what clubs could or should do to with the cash instead?

I for one believe Easts aren't doing a good job harnessing the local and junior talent that come to the club. But I'm not sure how they should improve and who is responsible for it?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
In yesterday's Gps v Wests game Saia and Samo really stepped up and made a difference. Will be interesting to see how the forwards go in the elimination final next week without them. The Gps backs showed some real class as well but IMO opinion are lacking a proper strike player to break games open, fingers crossed their structure and composure can get them through. Was also good to see McWhirter back in the 10 jersey, played great yesterday.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
But I would like to know what clubs could or should do to with the cash instead?

I for one believe Easts aren't doing a good job harnessing the local and junior talent that come to the club. But I'm not sure how they should improve and who is responsible for it?[/quote]

ECA your clubs committee is responsible for that. They are determining where they spend the money they get in grants from the ARU and how they improve.
Clubs dont improve as a whole just because of the premier coachs. They are just a part of the procees.
The clubs have to be performing across all the grades and colts to get the top results.
Interesting to look at the club championship points table as a reference to this. Souths have really improved in premier this year and now rank 4 th in club championship. Uni Gps and Sunnybank are the top 3 in club championships and are there in the premier finals. Depth is the Key. The 50k a year from the ARU each club gets for Premier rugby should be focused on Premier players and support but the club has to build a foundation first around all the teams. Irks me when people talk about clubs breaking in to premier but they arnt even running colts teams. You have to build depth in players and coachs. Success in Club championships and in turn Premier,doesnt happen overnight or because a few new rep players are signed and paid.

I also think the QRU is not doing enough to promote the Premier competion which is their responsibility. They are doing well with the online media stuff attached to the QRU website but they receive in excess of 500k from the ARU to manage and promote the premier comp(not including the 50 k per team aru grant) and I dont know that we are getting value for money on that. QRU loves talking up the investment in grass roots rugby but the reality is less money is spent on the the Senior Clubs and the premier comp than before. QRU loves talking up participation rates but Senior player numbers are down this year (fact). A better promoted comp attracks more players and spectators and in turn more opportunity for clubs to gain more revenue thru memberships, sponsors and canteen and bar sales.
I think most clubs recognise that they have to appeal to both the elite player who wants to improve themselves but also maintain a club culture that keeps people playing for the love of it as well.That builds the depth.

T

TOCC

I for one believe Easts aren't doing a good job harnessing the local and junior talent that come to the club. But I'm not sure how they should improve and who is responsible for it?

ECA your clubs committee is responsible for that. They are determining where they spend the money they get in grants from the ARU and how they improve.
Clubs dont improve as a whole just because of the premier coachs. They are just a part of the procees.
The clubs have to be performing across all the grades and colts to get the top results.
Interesting to look at the club championship points table as a reference to this. Souths have really improved in premier this year and now rank 4 th in club championship. Uni Gps and Sunnybank are the top 3 in club championships and are there in the premier finals. Depth is the Key. The 50k a year from the ARU each club gets for Premier rugby should be focused on Premier players and support but the club has to build a foundation first around all the teams. Irks me when people talk about clubs breaking in to premier but they arnt even running colts teams. You have to build depth in players and coachs. Success in Club championships and in turn Premier,doesnt happen overnight or because a few new rep players are signed and paid.

I also think the QRU is not doing enough to promote the Premier competion which is their responsibility. They are doing well with the online media stuff attached to the QRU website but they receive in excess of 500k from the ARU to manage and promote the premier comp(not including the 50 k per team aru grant) and I dont know that we are getting value for money on that. QRU loves talking up the investment in grass roots rugby but the reality is less money is spent on the the Senior Clubs and the premier comp than before. QRU loves talking up participation rates but Senior player numbers are down this year (fact). A better promoted comp attracks more players and spectators and in turn more opportunity for clubs to gain more revenue thru memberships, sponsors and canteen and bar sales.
I think most clubs recognise that they have to appeal to both the elite player who wants to improve themselves but also maintain a club culture that keeps people playing for the love of it as well.That builds the depth.

Premier Rugby receives grants from the ARU and subsequently the QRU... Players are already contracted by the ARU and QRU... quite simply they shouldn't also be getting paid by the clubs unless these clubs are 100% financially independent....In my opinion the grants for Premier Rugby should be purely limited to funding capital investments, coaching/management and the operational costs of running a premier grade team..

The QRU should be responsible for the advertising of the competition as a whole, but thats not to say that the clubs aren't also responsible for marketing themselves to the local communities that they effectively represent.

The whole concept of paying professional players to represent your team at club level is effectively the equivalent of an 'arms race', one club starts paying players big money and other clubs have to compete or risk falling behind, this jeopardises the clubs ability to invest the money into other areas of the club like the areas mentioned above. Given the precarious financial state of many of the premier grade clubs, i think its ludicrous that players who may only play 1-4 games in the season are been paid.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
' QRU loves talking up the investment in grass roots rugby but the reality is less money is spent on the the Senior Clubs and the premier comp than before.'

Funny you should mention how QRU like to talk up how they spend money, it was with great amusement at the opening of Logan City Rugby clubrooms earlier in year, boffin fron QRU stood up and told everyone it proved how QRU were helping build rugby around Qld, and what did QRU put in or do to help?? Absolutely sweet FA, after reading his comments in paper I thought no wonder the game struggles, if they do as much for other things in rugby I not sure how there any rugby at all. Also think you could find rugrat, that teams not in Prem comp will almost always lose players at colts level as players look to align themselves with top clubs, it a double edged sword I afraid. I know at Logan this year a colts team were training ,got to mid/late march and with no rugby happening lost most of players to mungoball.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Dan. Why not go ask the committee at Logan Rugby Club and ask them what the QRU have been doing to help the club?

And as for the investment in grassroots rugby there's a lot more grassroots in Qld than 10 premier clubs.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Reg, I have and do,I actually mates with most of them and used to be on committee myself!! Like I said it was amusing to hear one of QRU claim the new clubrooms and grounds showed how QRU investing in grassroots rugby, it was paid for by Council and State gvt,with a hell of a lot of work from a few committee members not saying QRU should put money in, just don't come along to 'snouts in the trough night' and then shout to papers how they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.